Status: Finished.

The "Family" Secret

"Franks Here"

I didn't see Frank the rest of the day. I didn't know if he was avoiding Pete and I, or if he just didn't have time to talk. Pete and I were shocked. Another one of us so called “vampires” were out there, and they lived not even miles from us. Pete didn't say a word about it. I didn't want to bring it up, Pete and I might have started wrestling in the hallway. Boy that would've been a sight for the humans to see. So I went through the rest of the day not seeing Frank. I had so many questions for him.
We walked home, since it would be faster then the bus. Ryan was sitting in the kitchen when we walked through the door. He didn't say anything. “School was great thanks for asking.” Pete sat down on the stool next to Ryan, “And you should want to know, because we learned a lot today actually!” Ryan turned to both of us. “Really, then tell me all about it?” I started jumping up and down, “There's a vampire that goes to our school!” Pete gave me a high five. “And he's cute!” I added, still jumping up and down. Ryan looked confused. “And you're sure that he's a vampire?” I stopped jumping and both of our faces went blank. “He can mind read, we talked a lil' through our minds, and his eyes were red, he obviously forgot his contacts today?” I said rolling my eyes. Ryan looked surprised. “Well, how come we didn't know about that before?” Ryan started pacing the kitchen. He stopped pacing. “Well how about we find them and introduce ourselves the right way?” I looked at Pete, he was excited as I was.
Vampires have a different scent then the humans. Their scent doesn't linger as long, so there harder to track, but their scent is stronger. Easier to find. We searched everywhere in Portland. Ryan went to Salem, didn't find anything there. We searched until midnight. We met back at the house. “Where is he?” I asked, we were all confused. “He has to be somewhere close, he's not going to travel that long just to go to school.” Pete said, staring into the distance. Ryan motioned for us to go inside, and we followed him in the house. Ryan sat at the kitchen counter with us for a while, then left into the garage. Leaving Pete and I to think by ourselves. “Maybe he was only there for a week or so, and he left today?” I said, shrugging my shoulders. I couldn't think of anything else to throw out there for Pete to hear. “I guess that's possible?” he responded. He hit his head on the counter and let out a long sigh. I pat his back and also let out a sigh. “Maybe we aren't supposed to find him?” I asked. “Maybe god just wanted us to know that we weren't alone in this world.” My thoughts quickly went to travel to different thoughts. “He's here, I just don't know where” Pete mumbled into the counter. “We'll know later, at school. He'll be there.” I walked over to the couch and fell down on the black cushions, “I can't wait.” Pete stood up and fell on me, almost breaking the couch. “You like him don't you?” I pushed him off of me. “No, why would you say that?” He shrugged. “I don't know, I guess I just assumed by the way you looked at him at school?” I threw a pillow at his face. “Oh, no you didn't” he said, grabbing the pillow out of his lap and raising it above his head. I screamed a childish scream and ran up stairs. Pete was behind me with the pillow. I tripped going up the stairs and Pete started beating me in the face with the pillow. I kicked him and he fell back down the stairs. I got up and jumped on his chest, pinned him down on the cold wood floors. “Gotcha!” I whispered into his ear. He groaned and pushed me off. “You know what I'm not in the mood.” he said as I helped him up. “Whatever, you just got your butt kicked by your younger sister and your just scared that she might hurt you.” I said playfully punching his arm. He walked up the stairs. “Let's do our homework so that we can sleep in” I sighed. “It wont even take us a minute to do that stuff they call “homework” it's not really work” I followed him up the stairs. “Since when did you want to sleep in?” I mumbled. He walked into my bedroom and sat on the bed. “Homework?” I said. I stood in the doorway and starred at him. He just starred back. I saw something out of the corner of me eye, it was like a black flicker going past the window. The strong scent of vampire filled the house. “Holy crap, that's strong!”Pete said, covering his nose with his hand, which was covered with his sleeve. “I think Frank came to visit us?” I walked down the stairs. Pete followed. “RYAN!” I yelled. “I think Franks here!” I didn't get a response. “Ryan?” I walked out to the garage. The door was shut, which was never supposed to happen. Pete was walking behind me, slowly. I slowly opened the door, Frank and Ryan were casually talking like old friends. The door creaked and Frank flinched. He immediately stood up and started taking steps backwards. “Ryan?” I asked. “What is he doing here?” I kept on taking steps towards both of them. “I bet he's here to help with homework?” Pete said, taking steps right behind me. “Aren't you?” he said as he pointed to Frank. Frank looked like he was in shock. “I didn't know that there was so many of us” he said, sort of like a whisper, like he was loosing his breath. “Same.” I whispered. Our eyes met and we stared at each other for a while. Ryan finally spoke. “Where were you?” he motioned for all of us to sit down. Frank still stood, “ I went shopping?” he said it like it was the most obvious thing. I laughed. “Shopping?” I asked. “Contacts.” he said. I remembered at school when he looked me in the eyes. His eyes were so pure. “When was the last time you hunted?” I asked. He looked confused. “Excuse me?” he asked. I felt everybody's eyes on me. “Hunting, when was the last time you went?” I asked again. He still looked confused. “Wait,” I stood up out of my chair. “You don't hunt, do you?” He shook his head, he obviously had no idea of what I was talking about. Ryan became interested, “So you're telling us that you've never hunted?” he asked. Frank nodded. “How do you keep sane?” Pete said, also shaking his head. “I have never hunted, I don't know why I would need to. I'm perfectly fine.” I sensed that he wasn't comfortable. Everybody was staring at each other. It was so quiet. Franks scent was overpowering. “How long have you been around here?” I asked, wanting the awkwardness to stop. “As long as I can remember.” I looked at Ryan. “How come we never sensed him?” Ryan shook his head. “I don't know, everything that has been happening for the past couple of days haven't been making sense.” I took a deep breath. “How old are you?” I asked Frank. “seventeen.” he replied. Pete laughed. “How long have you been seventeen?” Frank grinned, “Too long.”
We talked for hours. Ryan finally noticed that it was almost time for school. Pete loaned Frank some clothes, and I got dressed. We all walked to school together. “How long have you been going to this school?” I asked. “I started at the beginning of this year, so about four months.” I nodded. “Do you have any family?” Pete asked. I looked at Frank to see his expression. I didn't want Pete to make Frank mad by asking personal questions. I didn't want the boys starting a fight. Frank just shook his head. “I don't know, maybe, I don't remember.” I sensed the bus coming, it was three streets behind us. “Bus!” we all said at once. I laughed, Pete smirked. We didn't say anything else until the bus passed us. I glanced to see the kids staring at us through the window. Some of them pointed, some just looked at us, almost like a death glare. “None of them like you guys.” Frank said. “Excuse me?” I asked. “No one at the school likes either of you. Pete is too good looking and you, well I don't know what it is about you. But I think that your perfect.” he said smiling at me. I smiled back “Thanks.”
We were finally at the school. There were kids standing outside of the school doors in little group circles. Twilight groups. They noticed we were there and everyone quit talking. They just stared at us while we walked in the school. The doors closed behind me but I still heard a boy say. “They disgust me.” I pictured myself, walking back out the door, grabbing his head and bashing it into the wall, but then Frank grabbed my hand and we walked to our lockers.