See Jack Run

Chapter 14

Mikey looked down into the crib at his new baby sister. She had a very big name, and it felt strange on his tongue: Jaqueline. He would just call her Jack. That felt better.
"Mommy, it's so little!" Gerard said as he walked with their mother.
"She's just a little baby. But she'll get nice and big."
"Oh."
Mikey wasn't sure if he liked the new baby or if he didn't. She took Mommy and Daddy's attention, but she didn't take too much of Gerard's. But Mikey was scared because Mommy did say she would get big. What if she got bigger than him and Gerard wouldn't love him anymore?
"Mommy, when will it get big?"
"Inch by inch, Mikey."
"Will it get big tonight?"
"No. Over time she'll get big."
Mikey sighed with relief. He would always be bigger than her. After all, he was older than her.
Gerard walked over and stood next to Mikey.
"It's like a little blob." Mikey whispered, and Gerard laughed. That woke up the baby, though, and it started to cry.
Mommy walked over and picked it up, and soon it stopped crying.
"Come on boys, let her sleep."
So they all left the room, and Gerard and Mikey went back to their room. Soon, Gerard would move into the closet, which they renovated so it could be a tiny room, and Mikey and the baby would share a room.
They both sat for a while in silence, staring at the floor. Finally, Mikey spoke.
"I don't like it."
"How come?"
"It cries."
"You cry, too. I cry. Mommy cried."
"But it cries so much!"
"When you were a baby, you cried a lot."
"I still don't like it."
"Well, Mommy and Daddy and I do, so I guess you're just gonna have to like it."
Mikey felt a tiny explosion of fear in his chest when he heard Gerard say that.
"You like it?"
"It's lot of fun being a big brother. You'll see."
Those words seemed innocent enough.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Mikey! Why did you put the baby in the recycling bin?" Mommy screamed at him.
"I don't want the baby anymore." He said. Why couldn't Mommy just give the baby back?
"We're keeping the baby! Don't ever do it again!" Mommy screamed.
Mikey sighed about his foiled plan. If it hadn't cried, then he might have succeeded.
He was angry at it now. He was so close! That stupid baby was taking away love that was rightfully his, and now Mommy got mad at him for trying to take it back? That baby was ruining everything!
He went into its room, but Mommy was with it.
"Mikey, go play. You're not to touch her for the rest of the day."
So Mikey left. Daddy was lying face down on the kitchen table, and Gerard was playing at a friend's house. So he went out to the backyard and started to think about how he would get the love he deserved.
He didn't want love from it. It would ruin everything. He decided that instead of loving it, he would control it. That was much better than love. After all, with power, how could she even know about love?