See Jack Run

Chapter 5

As soon as the pyscologist finished talking about music and art and her other brother Gerard, Jack closed up like a clam shell. The pyscologist was growing annoyed. He wanted to know the answers to her problems, and although he wanted to her trust him and know that he wouldn't hurt her, he couldn't keep talking off-topic things.
"Do you think that he loved you?"
He should have known better. She formed a curtain around her face with her hair and brought her knees to her chest. She then buried her face in her knees, and her hair went around them, as if providing extra protection.
"You know, Miss Way, if you talked about this, you might be able to let go."
She looked up at him now, her eyes at first like glass, then searing hot pokers. Without saying anything, she had frightened him.
"If I let go, then I have no memories of my brother."
"Do you want those memories? Maybe, in a sense, it's better if you act like you don't even know him."
Her eyes blazed brown fire, and her tongue became her knife.
"I want those memories because they're better than nothing. I can't act like I don't know my brother because I do, and unlike you, I don't fake caring! He's my brother! I can't hurt him, regardless of what he did to me!"
She had stood up and was inches away from him now. He took a deep breath. She was like an animal when she got that defensive. Unsure of what to do, he took another deep breath.
"Jaqueline, please sit back down."
"Please don't say things like that again."
The pyscologist assured her, and himself that he never would.
"Getting back to your other question," Jack started, "I think we had a love/hate relationship."
The pyscologst understood the hate part, but the love? After what he did? He strongly doubted that. All the love probably came from Jack and all the hate came from Mikey.
"What makes you say that?" he asked.
"There were times when he said that he loved me. Sometimes, he would take me out into the city and we'd spend the day together. There were some days where there were no happier siblings than us."
The pyscologst again wondered how that was possible. But then he remembered Mikey's file:

MICHAEL JAMES WAY
Case in file: Extremely abusive to younger sister, possibly unaware that he was doing wrong
Bipolar disorder
Antisocial
Possibly on verge of nervous breakdown/pyscotic break

By sometimes loving and sometimes hating, he exibited symtoms of bipolar disorder. Had it been diagnosed and recieved treatment, maybe this wouldn't be happening. But it was too late for what-ifs. The pyscologist's thoughts turned back to Jack. And then his questions did, too.
"Do you know that your brother has a mood disorder?"
"No, but I always suspected it. I mean, I never did anything to hurt him. I figured that he had to have a problem in his head if he was that mean to me."
Jack had much more insight than she let on.