Two Kids, One Love, Who Cares If We Make It Up?

The Ring

Walking into the jewelry store, I sighed to myself knowing exactly where I wanted to go within the store. Cautiously, I walked through the store, before stopping at the glass case holding the engagement rings. Scanning through all of them, I bit my lip as I debated whether or not to buy Peyton a ring or to buy a plane ticket to go see her for Valentine's day.

"Can I help you?" A man dressed in a suit asked me.

"Uh, I'm just looking right now." I informed him.

"For an engagement ring?" He smiled.

"Yeah," I answered.

"Do you have a price range?" He questioned me.

"Oh, I already know which one I want, I'm just thinking." I muttered then took a step to the case before pointing, "The one on the top left."

He reached into the case and pulled out the ring I was talking about. He whistled lowly, "Do you want just the ring or the wedding set?" He asked, "It comes with this ring and it's matching wedding band."

"The set," I whispered.

He eyed me, "Maybe we can look at some other rings. Lower in price?"

I frowned, "No, that one." I assured, having the money, I'm gonna have to put it on my parents credit card then I pay them, but I already talked it over with them, they know how much it is and they already gave me the ok to buy not just Peyton's wedding set, but my wedding band as well. Since we're not having a proper wedding or a proper honeymoon, they figured this should make up for it.

"I'll take the set," I said then tugged Peyton's promise ring out of my pocket. I stole it from her before she left, since then she had noticed it was gone so I made up a story about her forgetting it on my nightstand, I dont think she bought it, but she claimed she did, "In this size."

He took the ring from me and eyed, "Oh, one of our promise rings ..."

"My girlfriend has expensive taste," I whispered, "Go big or go home, right?" I smiled.

He smiled over at me and nodded then smiled more, "Well, your in luck, we have this size in both rings." He handed the ring back to me, and I put it in my pocket once more as I watched him gather the rings, "Seperate boxes?"

"Please,"

He nodded then grabbed two little boxes in their signature tiffany blue color. He wrapped them then took me to the register. I paid then quietly left the store, not regretting my decision. I'll be flying out for spring break, Peyton can wait another month and a half to see me.

Before I knew it, I was back home and my Mom smiled wildly as I walked through the front door, "let me see them,"

I laughed as I handed her the boxes, "Oh, John ... they're beautiful," She looked at me then shook her head as she looked back down at the rings, "You defintely take after your Father when it comes to treating your girlfriend right, and being romantic."

I blushed, "I'm not that romantic mom, they're just rings."

"No, they're not just rings." She looked at me then kissed my cheek lovingly before handing me the boxes, "She'll love them,"

I smiled then reached into my wallet and tugged out my 'down payment' for the rings, two thousand dollars of the three thousand I have saved up in my bank account. "Here," I smiled softly.

She just looked at me then shook her head, "Dont worry about, Dad and I got it."

"No, Mom let me pay for it."

She pointed to me, "If we're not gonna be able to see you two get married and help pay for the wedding, we're buying the rings whether you like it or not. Save your money, you have to go see her on Valentines day."

I looked at her, "Are you sure?"

She nodded, "I'm sure."

"Yes, we're sure." My Dad walked in from the living room, "let me see those rings,"

I handed him the rings and he looked at them, nodding, "I did better, but this isnt a competition."

"John," My Mom laughed at her husband, "that's not nice."

"Actually, this is the one Peyton wanted." I pointed to it, "She loves this ring, she has it bookmarked on her computer and she just keeps showing it to me.' I laughed then took the rings back then eyed my Dad, "Are you sure about this?" I asked again, "I have the money we agreed on,"

"Yes I'm sure," He sighed, "just dont tell your brother,' He whispered to me, "He wants us to buy his girlfriend that he's been with for two weeks a necklace, or at least lend him the money."

I smiled then nodded. He pointed to me, "You have to make me one promise,"

"What?" I asked.

"When you start having kids, give me a grand daughter," He smiled simply.

"Yeah," My mom nodded agreeing with him, "We tried two times for a girl, but ended up with boys."

"Then have another baby,"

My Mom rolled her eyes, "We have our hands full with the two of you, mister I want to go party and get drunk every weekend." She widened her eyes on me, "Then your brothers in that phase where he doesnt like any adult figure at all,"

I licked my lips, "Are you sure about the rings," I said once more.

"go buy a plane ticket, johno." My Dad said simply, "Surprise her on Valentine's day."

"She knows Im coming,"

"Well tell her you're not then go anyway,' He laughed then patted the side of my head, "I love ya," With that, he walked away. My Mom smiled at her husband then looked at me. I smiled back softly then she pointed to me, "We want a grand daughter," She smiled then walked away from me.

I frowned at the thought of being a Father, not wanting to be a Father until I'm at least twenty, I actually wouldnt mind waiting until I was twenty five or twenty six, but if my parents and peyton get their way, it'll be a lot sooner.

Slowly walking to my room, I pushed my door half way shut behind myself before sitting on my bed, looking at the rings once again, a smile tugging on the corner of my lips. Loudly and suddenly, my phone rang. Reaching into my pocket, I tugged it out looked at the ID before my smile got wider, "Hey Ducky," I greeted.

"Oh my god, John." She said slowly.

I frowned, "What?"

"I went to school today."

I held back a laugh, "And?"

"And I met a lot of people. Lot's of people. Turns out my cousin Sean is like the 'need to know' guy around here, and word spread that I was his cousin, so many people know who I am." She paused, "And I was hit on."

I sat up straight, "Oh?" I asked, "Was the dude good looking?"

She laughed cutely, "Jealous?"

"No," I lied with a smile, "I just dont like guys hittin' on my girl, and you never answered me, was he good looking?"

"You have nothing to worry about," She assured, "But he was cute." She laughed more, "But you're my teddy bear."

"Better looking than me?"

"No," She said simply, truth dripping off of her words, "So, how was your day?"

"Um, boring. I went to school, left at lunch, went to a few stores, bought a few things."

"Like what?"

"Um, I got some new shoes," I said simply, "Nothing fancy, just a pair of converse. And I bought a new hoodie, the exact one that you stole from me, but it just doesnt feel the same."

"Ah, fun," She went quiet, "Anything else?"

"Nope," I lied, "Nothing else, was I supposed to get something else?"

"I thought maybe you decided to go looking for my Valentine's present is all." She said simply, "I know what I'm getting you, I just have to go to the store to find it."

I bit my lip, "Listen, Ducky ... baby I cant make it over there for Valentine's Day," I lied, like my Father said to.

She gasped softly, then she went extremely quiet. Not a word was said for a good minute or two, "ducky?" I questioed.

"Why cant you come?"

"Some things came up, that's all. Family trip."

"You're not cheating on me, are you?"

'What? Never." I assured, "I told you, just a family trip."

She sighed sadly, "Oh, ok."

"I'll make it up though,"

"Yeah."

"Are you mad?"

"No, sad."

"You're not crying are you?"

"Not yet," She sighed again, "Teddy bear, I have to go, I'm gonna go take a hot bath, and go to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow, ok?"

"alright," I frowned, "I love you."

"I love you, too. Bye."

"Bye," I mumbled then hung up the phone. I frowned, feeling like complete shit now. I got up then went into the living room, "Dad are you sure telling her I cant make it is the right thing?"

"Yes, and when you show up, she'll freak out." He smiled up at me.

I made a face then shook my head a bit, "I dont know, this doesnt feel right." I muttered as I sat down in my recliner that my Dad bought for himself, but I stole it.

"She'll be fine," He assured as he flipped through the channel.

Huffing loudly, I picked myself up then walked away back to my room.Shutting the door all the way this time, I walked to my bed, putting the rings in my nightstand before laying down onto of my covers, staring at my ceiling thinking about Peyton. Maybe I should just call her back and say things changed, the tone in her voice struck me in a bad way. I hope she doesnt try anything stupid.
♠ ♠ ♠
And I dont wanna know if there's another part of me, dont wanna feel if I'm alive, dont wanna smell the bed where you used to sleep I'm gonna miss it again, miss it again.