Where Will I Be When I Wake up Next to a Stranger

I'm Not Sure If It Matters...

Katherine got used to early morning phone calls from Peter, except on the 6th when Katherine called him instead.

“What’s wrong?” He asked instantly, since Katherine seemed a little quieter than usual.
“I was just wondering if you wanted to go with me to the cemetery. Today is the 16th anniversary of mom’s death…And I always go.” Katherine asked nervously, fumbling to tie her shoe.
“Of course I’ll go.” Pete murmured as he ran around his apartment, getting dressed.
“Okay, good.” Katherine said as they said their goodbyes and she left in a cab to go pick him up.

---

“It always takes a long ass time to my mother’s grave.” Katherine murmured as she adjusted her grip on Peter’s hand.
“I bet, Ms. Wiley.” Pete grinned to himself as he smelled the bouquet of flowers they picked up.
“But I don’t really mind, considering its prettier back here.” Katherine shrugged, reading names on tombstones as they walked by the S section.

Peter smiled at her as they walked to the W’s in silence.

“Ah, here she is.” Katherine said quietly, and took the flowers from Peter, setting them against her tombstone.

“Lillian Grace Wiley.” Peter read her name out loud as he squatted down next to Katherine.
“I always thought it was such a pretty name…” Katherine smiled as she ran her hand over the engraving of it.
“So…Hi mom…” Katherine said awkwardly as she looked at Peter who just grinned at her.
“Sorry I didn’t bring Amity today. She was really tired for some reason. But this here is my…Boyfriend, Peter.”
“Hi.” Pete butted in nervously as he waved.
“I know I don’t come around as often as I used to…But at least it’s better than never. I wanted to tell you that Linda came around on Thanksgiving, and it didn’t really…End well. But you probably saw and heard all of that…” Katherine rambled on, not knowing what to say.

She hadn’t really talked one on one with her mother’s tombstone since last year, and nothing really came naturally to her to say this time around.

“I don’t think it’s much use to just talk about things you already know about, so I think it’s already time to go. I love you.” Katherine smiled as she stood up.

Katherine’s hand found Peter’s as they started to walk away.

“Ya know I wouldn’t go visit any of my parent’s graves probably. It’d bring up too much for me. You’re really brave.” Peter said, and squeezed her hand.
“I think I’m rather stupid. I go there and talk about nonsense things that, who knows if she hears or even cares about anyways.” Katherine sighed, running her free hand through her hair.
“Well at least you try. Most people don’t even do that. That doesn’t make you stupid by the way. People pray to God, and who knows if there even is one. But that doesn’t make them stupid now does it?” Peter pointed out.
“I guess you’re right. But I still think I’m stupid.” Katherine responded as they were almost to the gate.
“Well I don’t think you are.” Pete smiled and kissed her cheek.
“I could really go for a small nap.” Katherine mentioned as Peter flagged down a cab.
“That does sound nice.” Peter agreed as they slid into the cab.
“Well you could nap at my place…Well only if you want.” Katherine mumbled before she told the driver her address.
“I’d love to.” Pete grinned as he planted a small kiss on her lips.

---

As they laid next to each other in the early morning some what dozing off, Peter ran his hand through her hair. After a while, Katherine curled into Peter, very discreetly, but he took it as an offer to warp his arm around her. He smiled as she snuggled her head into the crook of his neck. And not even five minutes later, he was surprisingly asleep. No pills or staring at random objects, just sleep.

---

“Just let me help with dinner.” Peter pleaded as he followed her around the kitchen.
“If you don’t let me help, I’ll have to clean or some shit, and God knows I suck at that.” Peter told her as she sighed and stopped to look at him.
“Fine get the biggest pan to put lasagna in, in that cabinet.” She told him as she stirred the red sauce.

She told him simple directions such as greasing it, then taking out the lasagna noodles, then grating cheese. Katherine stood at the counter, putting together the lasagna when Peter stood directly behind her.

“This better be the best lasagna ever…” Peter said against her hair as Katherine laughed.
“Or what Mr. Wentz…” Katherine smiled as she sprinkled assorted cheese over the top of it.
“I don’t think you want to know.” Peter grinned as Katherine turned around and their foreheads leaned together.

Someone cleared their throat and they pulled apart quickly.

“Hi dad. This is Peter by the way. Are you hungry? Lasagna should be done soon.” Katherine rambled on as she put the lasagna in the oven.
“Hey Peter. Actually yeah I’m starving.” Scott responded, rubbing his face, then searching through the fridge for something.
“I went to mom’s grave today.” Katherine announced as she buttered the French bread.
“Yeah?” Scott questioned as it didn’t really surprise him.

He poured some kool-aid, usually for Amity, in a glass and drank from it. Scott never visited Lillian’s grave, saying he never really had a reason for it, but also trying to shadow his guilt.

“I really think you should go at some point.” Katherine told him as she turned around to face him.
“I don’t think that’s possible.” Scott shook his head as he left to his room without Katherine saying another word.
“He feels guilty…That’s why he hasn’t gone back for 16 years.” Katherine explained quietly to Peter, walking towards him slowly.
“Maybe it’s harder for him.” Peter stated as he hugged her.
“Who knows anymore.” Katherine sighed and buried her nose in his neck.
“Mommy…” The two pulled apart quickly yet again, but Amity just smiled.
“Can I have some more kool-aid?” She asked quietly, handing her mom a cup with a built in straw.
“Of course. How could anyone deny you?” Katherine smiled, filling up her child’s cup.
“Wait a second, aren’t you supposed to be at work right now?” Peter asked as he glanced at the clock on the microwave.
“Actually, Jonathon insisted on covering for me. I don’t really know why, but why should I question it right?” Katherine shrugged as the oven dinged with the bread.
“Right.” Peter nodded and smiled at her.

Dinner came and went, and nothing more was said about Lillian. When it came around the time when Peter was leaving, they stood outside talking.

“I would stay, but I have band practice around 11:30, and I know for a fact that if I woke up next to you, I wouldn’t move…But maybe we can see each other tomorrow night or something.” Pete shrugged as he shoved his hands in his pockets.
“I have to work tomorrow night, but maybe Sunday or Monday?” Katherine tried to set up something.
“I’ll surprise you.” Peter grinned and kissed her, more than once.

He touched his nose with hers before he stalked off, back home.