‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Thanks You're The Best

“These are the cutest baby shower favors ever,” Meghan gushed as we finished putting them together for Emily’s shower tomorrow.

“They are, aren’t they?” I smiled.

“I feel like it was yesterday when she told us she was pregnant. Now, she’s moved out of the city and into the ‘burbs and is about to push out a baby!” She put the last favor in the box and put a top on it.

“It all happened so fast. This kid is going to be spoiled by us,” I lazed.

“I wish they had cuter baby boy clothes though. It’s like every onesie, t-shirt, pajama set has to have dinosaurs, monster trucks or something equally stereotypical boy on it. It’s really obnoxious,” Meg relaxed on the couch with me.

“I know. I stuck with basics. Gabe bought him the cutest Nike dunks, I squealed,” I laughed thinking about when he brought them home.

“It was really nice of you to give Emily and Ian a lot of your baby stuff too. I’m sure that was hard.”

“It was and it wasn’t. It was a good purge. It was just sitting in storage and I really have no use for it, so why wouldn’t I give it to someone that could use it?” It was true. It was nice to sort of let go of the memory and start new and Emily and Ian could use it and I really was happy to see them put it to good use.

“Speaking of things moving slowly; are you and Rob going on a date soon?” I kicked her with my feet.

“We are. Last week was just so hectic for both of us. I had that huge party and the shower and Rob was out of town with one of his bands, so this week we’re going to try and go on our first date,” She smiled.

“Slow and steady wins the race,” I grinned back.

“It’s like we’ve been dating and we have for the past almost five months, but this is the ‘let’s make it official,’ date.” She laughed.

“I love you two together,” I sighed.

“I love you and Gabe. I’m so happy to see you guys the way you used to be,” She held my hand and shook it.

“Me too. I mean, everything isn’t perfect, but we’re working on it. Lucas is still a huge problem, but at least Gabe is aware of everything. And counseling is still going well, so we’re gonna make it,” I put my hand over hers and smiled.

“All good things. Speaking of when are Rob and Gabe getting back?” She whined.

“I’ll let them know that the coast is clear and all baby shower paraphernalia has been put away,” I laughed and picked up my phone to text Gabe.

“They’re still bringing back sushi, right?”

“Relax, you will be fed!” I laughed and Gabe texted me back.

“Sushi is on its way and the Cobra kids are coming over too,” I smiled.

“Love those kids,” She cuddled in next to me and wrapped her arms around me.

“I’m glad you’re doing so well,” She squeezed me. “You’re my sister and I want the best for you,” She squeezed me again.

“Me too, sis,” I laughed and squeezed her back. “I’m glad that things are going well for me and for everyone in my life.”

“I’m hungry for sushi,” She groaned playfully and Alex and Victoria walked through the front door. “Yeah! Sushi!” She shot up from the couch so fast.

I got up slowly and greeted the incoming crowd. I gave Alex a big hug. He’s been so kind throughout everything. After Gabe had kicked me out and we were going through that entire ordeal he sent me flowers with a simple not to keep my head up. I was glad that Alex was in Gabe’s life, he was such a good person and he was definitely trying to keep Gabe in line; I was thankful for that.

The whole band really was taking more of a role in trying to keep Gabe out of trouble. I think part of them felt guilty that he went so deep over the edge before and they couldn’t do anything about it and part of it was I think they genuinely wanted to be more active in Gabe’s life.

“My little Lipski?” I said in an almost overly motherly tone as I saw him walk in the door. “I didn’t even know you were back in town?” I hugged him tightly and rocked him back and forth.

“I just got in,” He laughed. “How are you?”

“I’m good. God, it’s been forever since I’ve seen you!” I said as we parted.

“It has been awhile. If these guys could go on tour again maybe I’d see you more,” He laughed and Gabe slapped him on the back of the head before heading into the kitchen to unload all the sushi.

It was such a good night. I was surrounded by all these people that I loved and cared about. It had been a while since we were all together. Soon, they’d all be out on tour as well. Once Fall Out Boy releases their next album Cobra is going to be one of their support acts. I was excited for them to get out on the road again. They loved it out there and performing. It’d be good for them and maybe good for Gabe and I too.

+++

“Is that everything?” Gabe asked as he came back into the apartment. He and Ian were loading up their car with everything from the shower.

“That better be everything,” Ian said as he walked through the door.

“Nothing left,” Emily laughed.

“Thank you so much for everything. I love you guys,” Emily said on the verge of tears, her hormones were crazy. I was thankful I wasn’t as moody as she was when I was pregnant. She clung to Meg and then she came to me.

“You’re very welcome. I’m so happy for you two,” I cupped her face and kissed her forehead.

“Thank you for everything Sadie and Meg,” Ian said and gave us each a hug.

Ian and Emily left to head home; they had just moved upstate into a house in preparation for the baby. Thankfully, it was a nice day in January for their drive back. I shut the door behind them and I wanted to just lounge. I had gone into hostess mode and that had drained me.

“Thank God that’s done!” Meg cheered as she threw herself back onto one of the chairs in the living room.

“I totally agree. I love our friends and everything, but honestly a shower should be two hours and not an all day event.” The party had started at 1pm and it was now 6pm.

“Speaking of and all day affair – you two get the fuck out!” Gabe laughed pointing to Rob and Meg.

“Dude, it’s like old times. Let’s relish in it,” Rob teased.

“It is like old times,” Meg awed.

“Let’s go get a drink!” I suggested, it had been a long day.

“Let’s do it. I need one after all of that,” Gabe came up from behind me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me back into him.

We cleaned up a bit and just went down the street to a little pub. It was nice to get out and be an adult and feel good. Every day that I felt better was a new experience. Gabe and I were taking things slow and waiting to try again to have another baby. We were going to wait a year or so depending on touring and recording. We figured that’d be enough time to know that we were solid again. Until then I’d live vicariously through Emily and be the greatest “aunt” ever. I couldn’t wait to meet Emily’s little man and see how good of a mother I could be.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for everything! I have a snow day tomorrow,so I'm gonna try and update again :)

Comments? What do you think? It's a little filler.