‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Forever

“Can you do dinner on Friday night?” Meg called me at work on Wednesday after the shower.

“Just me or Gabe too?”

“You and Gabe. I got inspired last night and I wanted everyone to get together again,” She said giddily.

“That sounds fun. I think Gabe’s free, but let me check and make sure,” I said as I twirled the telephone cord around my finger.

“Great. Just a little get together at Rob’s, he really wanted it there,” She sounded annoyed.

“Well, it is a bit bigger than your apartment,” I pointed out.

“I know, I know, but I gotta get back to work. Let me know about Friday!” She sounded rushed.

“I’ll let you know!” Meghan hung up quickly. I dialed Gabe.

“Did I get accepted?” Gabe asked excitedly as he answered. He liked to tease me about my job when I called from my work number.

“I was actually calling to tell you that you’ve been waitlisted. Bummer,” I smiled.

“This was my number one school!” He pouted.

“I can think of a few things you can do to make your chances of getting in better.”

“Excuse me, Miss, but are you trying to seduce me?” I could hear him chuckle a bit.

“Are you seducible?” I tried to put on my sexiest whisper.

“I certainly am,” Gabe whispered back.

“Good! What are you doing?”

“Putting finishing touches on the track with Pete and Patrick. We gotta get it done today,” He sounded stressed. “What are you doing?”

“Are you free on Friday night to do dinner with Meg and Rob and some friends?”

“Yeah, Rob just called me and told me to invite Pete and Patrick too. Should be fun and less painful than the baby shower,” He laughed.

“That’s true. Okay, good. I have a meeting in like five minutes, but the track sounds great. Don’t stress too much,” I assured him and started to gather up my appointment book, notebook and blackberry to take with me into the meeting.

“You’re too good to me. I’ll probably be late, but I’ll call you. Love you,” He sighed.

“Love you too!”

I hung up the phone and gathered my stuff and headed out of my office. Margot locked the door behind us and we headed down the hall to the big conference room. We walked in and there were conveniently two seats flanking Lucas. In my head I was groaning, but I put on a good face and sat on one side of him. He winked at me and I could feel my skin crawl.

Lucas had kept his distance, but was still very sly about his flirting. He would leave a flower on my desk frequently, he’d order me lunch and send it to my office – how he knew what I’d like I had no idea, he was constantly joining committees that I was on and just being where I was in general. I kept my distance from him though and made sure I was never alone with him anymore. Unfortunately for me, no one has reported him for inappropriate behavior since I had. Maybe, it was just me. He was being discreet because he was being watched, but I wish others were more observant and would report him too.

“Good afternoon, Sadler,” Lucas said professionally.

“Hi,” I was short with him. I didn’t need any small talk.

“Bad day?” Lucas chuckled.

“Not until now,” I said sarcastically with a smile.

“I could make it better for you.”

“Doubtful. You are the reason my day is terrible right now,” I didn’t even look at him.

“I think everyone is here, right?” The president looked around the room. “Right, so, as you know the budgets were just finalized. We wanted to go over them with you for the summer and the New Year ahead,” He passed around a packet with the itemized budgets by department.

The meeting was fairly boring and I didn’t pay much attention until we got to my department and my budget. I scanned the page and there must have been a mistake. My budget had almost been doubled. I just shook my head and waited for the president to go over the details.

“We had a hit to our enrollment and over the past year Sadler Saporta has changed our first year student program and our orientation program. It’s taken her a while to fix the old system to finally unveil her ideas, but we’re thankful she had the patience because we’re happy to report that our enrollment is on the up again and we’re projected to do well again this year,” He smiled and I was embarrassed, but relieved that my work had paid off.

“We reviewed the surveys from the orientation programs and the freshman leaving the first year experience and they were nothing but supportive of the initiatives and that’s why we’ve raised the budget. Hopefully now we can do even better now that there is more money allocated to the programs.” The president nodded at me and there was applause by my colleagues. I’m sure my face was crimson.

“Can I interrupt, sir?” Lucas asked and the president gave him the floor. “I’ve only been here about six months, but Sadler is a hard working, motivated and creative person and she makes me work harder too. I work hard just like she does for an institution we both believe in and we want to see this place grow and keep growing. So, thank you for giving these programs the funding they deserve,” Lucas smiled at me as if he were a proud father.

We wrapped up the meeting and I still couldn’t believe that we were getting more funding. I was so excited about it all. I was proud of myself. I was validated and that felt good.

“You deserve all of that praise,” Lucas said to me as we shuffled out.

“Thanks,” I said politely and continued on my way.

“Can I take you out to celebrate?” He asked in a low voice. I just looked at him to see if he was serious. He was insane and terribly sneaky.

“No.” I caught up with Margot.

I stayed in my office and worked all day with the door shut. I only responded to work e-mails from Lucas and didn’t answer the phone when he called. I was flattered by his words and annoyed by his actions. I liked that I had his support despite my denying his advances; it made my life a lot easier. It was always good to have the director of admissions on your side even if he was a total creep.

I closed up for the day and gave Gabe a call to see if he wanted me to bring them some food. They were excited and gave me a laundry list. They clearly hadn’t left the studio all day. I went to the grocery store and then got them take-out.

“Who’s hungry?” I asked pushing my way into the studio. They all smiled widely like children getting a Happy Meal.

“Thanks, Sade,” Gabe gave me a kiss and took all the bags from my hands.

“Of course. I put some candy in there too for the long night.”

“You’re the best! How are you?” Pete asked giving me a quick kiss.

“I’m good. How are you? How’s Bronx? Ashlee?”

“Still good from when you asked me yesterday,” He teased with his huge toothy grin.

“Just checking,” I made a face at him and went over to Patrick. “How are you?” I put my arm around his shoulders and gave him a kiss on the cheek and he squeezed me around the waist.

“I’m good. Thanks for bringing us food. It’s been non-stop work in here,” He laughed.

“I’m sure it’s been all work and that’s why I’ll leave you guys to finish up,” I kissed Patrick’s head again and made my way to Gabe to give him a quick hug and kiss and that gave Pete a hug on my way out.

+++

“Can I pick you up from work today?” Gabe asked as I was getting ready to run out of the apartment.

“That’d be nice and then we can change and go to Rob’s. Makes my commute easier.”

“That’s why I offered and because I’m an amazing husband.” He dusted off his shoulder and I ran out the door.

“Oh, love you,” I skidded back into the apartment.

“Love you to, now go or you’ll be late.”

I got to work on time and settled in. Today was a lot of proposal writing and reviewing for our summer program. I was just starting them to get them in for our first deadline next Friday. They day flew by because I was so busy, which was good. I was excited for tonight’s dinner with all my friends.

“Good night, Margot!” I smiled as I left the office.

“Night Sadler! Thanks again for lunch and our chat, I appreciated it!” She smiled. We had a nice lunch in my office today and we talked about things that were going on with her. She was having some relationship issues and needed to vent.

“Of course. I am sure once you talk to your friends and sort out the situation they won’t hate your boyfriend anymore. It seems like a complete misunderstanding,” I assured her.

“Thanks! Have a good dinner!”

“Have a good weekend!”

I walked down the stairs and Lucas was at the bottom. He was in conversation with another faculty member, so thankfully he was occupied.

“Have a good weekend,” I said as I passed them with a wave.

I tied my scarf tighter against the cold from the outside. I walked down the campus and to a parking lot where Gabe always met me when he picked me up.

“Sadler, wait up!” I wanted to run, but I turned around to see Lucas walking quickly to catch up.

“What can I do for you Lucas?” I asked and I turned to keep walking toward the parking lot. I could see our car and I was sure Gabe was watching us closely now. Lucas followed.

“I was just wondering how your proposals and planning were going,” He smiled. Was he actually talking about work?

“Oh, um, great actually. I should definitely have everything finished to submit on time,” I stopped in my tracks, dumbfounded that he was actually being nice and talking about work.

“That’s great. I know you’ve been working hard and your doors been closed for the past few days. I just wanted to check in,” Lucas stayed outside my personal space and was being a normal person even when while we were alone.

“Wow, thank you,” I probably sounded a bit sarcastic to him, but I was literally stunned. Lucas laughed. “I’m doing well.”

“I have faith in you, you’ll be great.” Lucas put his hand on my arm as if to show he supported me and not in the flirty way.

“Thank you, Lucas. I appreciate your support,” I nodded and turned to start walking again.

“I was thinking that we could work closer on your plans. I want to be in the loop before you submit them,” He caught up to me again, I was right at the edge of the parking lot and I could see Gabe glaring. I waved to let him know it was okay.

“Sure, I guess,” I wrinkled my head in confusion, but it did make sense.

“Have a good weekend,” He smiled and stepped forward. He looked over at my car for a second and then he kissed me.

I immediately moved my head and pushed him away and out of nowhere Gabe was out of the car and he punched Lucas square in the face. Everything happened in a flash I fell back when Gabe came between Lucas and me and punched him in the face. Gabe punched him once and he was on the ground. He turned around and picked me up off the ground. I was frozen watching everything happen.

“Sorry, babe,” Gabe said as he picked me up.

“It’s okay,” He practically carried me to the car as he held me at his side. He opened my door and I got in.

“You okay?” Gabe asked as he got in the car and started to drive.

“Yeah,” I choked out. “That was so…I have no words,” I just started to laugh.

“What?” Gabe laughed a bit too.

“I’m sort of turned on right now,” I teased a bit.

“Don’t get up on my woman,” Gabe laughed.

“Oh Gabe, your hand,” I saw Gabe’s hand and his knuckles were bleeding a bit and his hand was incredibly red.

“It’s fine, not that bad,” He played it off.

I took his hand off the wheel and into mine and kissed it.

“I hope he’s not dead,” I sighed.

“I hope he is,” Gabe said angrily.

“I don’t want you going away for life, okay. I just don’t want him to sue you either…” All these thoughts were going through my head of what he could do to hurt Gabe’s reputation.

“Don’t worry about it. He had it coming and I’ll deal with it.”

“I just don’t want this effecting your reputation and the upcoming tour and CD. To overshadow you, you know?” I didn’t feel bad for Lucas, but there were consequences for his actions.

“People will understand,” He winked. “I am not going to sit back any more,” Gabe squeezed my hand and I could see it in his face that his hand was hurting.

We made it home and I took care of Gabe’s hand. I gave him a bag of frozen peas and wrapped it in an ace bandage we had. He sat on the bed and I got dressed to head to Rob’s for dinner.

“Thank you,” Gabe said as he pulled me into his lap on the bed.

“Thank you,” I put my arms around his neck loosely. “I’m glad you’re not mad at me. It was about work and then he just kissed me.”

“I saw it all. He’s the creep. I trust you. I told you I just don’t trust him and I was right.”

“I know. You look all handsome and strong with your hand wrapped up,” I kissed his temple.

“I fight for my woman,” Gabe squeezed my tighter.

“Let’s get to dinner!” I said.

Gabe and I arrived at Rob’s house and everyone was waiting outside or in their cars outside. We knocked on Alex’s car, he was with Ryland and both of their girlfriends.

“What’s going on?” Gabe asked and Pete and Patrick came over to the car too.

“Rob told us to wait till 7 and he’d let us in because they were putting final touches on everything. I think Meg got a little too intense with the planning,” Alex laughed.

“Oh no!” I laughed. “Well, the good thing with her is when she says 7, she means 7.”

“So ten minutes, but my balls are already frozen!” Pete said as he jumped around to get warm.

“Well, if it isn’t Tyler and Heath!” Gabe yelled and I saw them walking across the street.

“Hey guys!” I smiled and gave them each a hug. It’d been forever since I had seen them. They were both touring with other bands and the last time I saw them was my baby shower.

“This is a reunion!” I laughed as I saw some people from Crush Management and Bob McLynn come down the street.

“It’s almost 7, maybe we should all wait outside for them to let us in?” Gabe suggested.

Ryland, Alex and their girlfriends got out of their car and then Nate, Lipski and Victoria joined the group from the car behind them. The crowd also included some people from Angel and Kings as well as two of his photographer friends that did work at the bar. We all patiently waited till 7 when the door slowly opened and Rob’s parent’s and Meghan’s parents came out. Something was up.

“Hi everyone,” Rob’s dad announced.

“Welcome to the wedding between my daughter Meghan,” Meghan’s father spoke and we all looked at each other in excitement and shock.

“And my son Rob,” Rob’s father finished.

“We’re all so happy you can join us,” Meghan’s mother smiled so happily.

“Everyone come on in!” Rob’s mother said excitedly.

“Are you fucking kidding?” Bob McLynn laughed. “This is great!”

“Did you know?” I asked Gabe.

“Did you?” We both shook our heads at the same time.

“This is so great,” I was so excited.

We all walked in and Emily and Ian were waiting. They were let in for obvious reasons. Rob had cleared out his living room and dining room. They put seats starting in the dining room up through the pocket doors and into the living room for the guests. Their alter was to be in front of Rob’s fireplace and they decorated the mantle with beautiful flowers and candles. The pit of the fireplace was cleaned out and had flowers inside as well. The flowers and small lights and candles light up his house beautifully. They didn’t have any other lights on except for that. Gabe and I sat down next to each other and piano music was playing.

Finally a justice of the piece came out and stood in the front of the room. Rob flanked by his parent’s walked in together from the kitchen and down the aisle. They each gave him a kiss and took their seats. Then the bridal music came and out of the bedroom came Meg and her parent’s. My eyes immediately teared up at the sight of her. She looked beautiful.

The whole ceremony was beautiful. Over the past almost year they had been reconciling and they realized they were made for each other. He made a huge sacrifice for her happiness and that meant a lot and she didn’t see it for what it was. They loved each other and they hadn’t found anyone else that did it for them.
After they said “I Do,” we all headed to Angels and Kings for a party. It was amazing. Just having all my friends all together was so nice and I was so happy for my two friends.

“I guess I’m not your fantasy anymore,” I smiled as went up to Rob.

“You’ll always be my fantasy,” Rob gave me a kiss and a huge hug.

“I’m so happy for you two. I knew this was going to happen eventually,” I sipped on my champagne.

“I’m irresistible to her,” He laughed.

“She’s irresistible to you too,” I winked. “Congratulations! I’m going to go find your wife,” I smiled.

“Wait, what happened to Gabe’s hand?” Rob asked.

“He punched Lucas out today,” I laughed.

“What? I need details.”

“Lucas was talking to me today while I walked out to meet Gabe. He was talking about work and was actually being good and then he kissed me. Gabe was like a bullet out of the car and punched him in the face,” I laughed replaying it in my head.

“Damn, I would have loved to have seen that,” Rob laughed and Meg joined him.

“See what?”

“Gabe punched out Lucas today,” I mumbled.

“I would have loved to have seen that too!” Meg wrapped her arms around Rob and leaned her head on his chest.

“Congratulations, you sneaky bitch,” I teased.

“Well, when it’s right it’s right. You know what I’m talking about,” She smiled and gave Rob a kiss.

“I certainly do. I’m going to find Mr. Right now,” I smiled and went to look for Gabe.

I found him sitting with Victoria and Lipski on a couch. I curled up next to him and he put his arm around me. Things were good. I was really happy, but I still couldn’t get Lucas out of my head. I was dreading Monday morning and what, if anything was to come from Gabe’s actions.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone! I appreciate you guys so much!

Comments? Let me know what you think?