‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

You're Not Welcome Here

I finally got up from the bath and threw on my robe and tiptoed through the apartment, so not to let whoever was at the door know I was home. I navigated through the now dark living room and up to the door and looked in the peephole.

“Seriously, I almost shit myself,” I screamed as I swung the front door open.

“I’m sorry, but I left you a message on your cell phone. Took you long enough!”

“I’m going to kill Gabe,” I laughed as I threw a hand behind me to give Trav the go ahead to go inside. He had a sleeping bag and an overnight bag in his hands.

“Don’t kill Gabe. He’s just in love with you, lady,” Travis threw his sleeping bag and bag down on the couch.

“Well, at least it’s you,” I smiled and Trav came and picked me up into a hug.

“I’m going to take that as a good thing,” He said letting me down. “Go finish your shower or whatever you were doing. I’m just here to be the guard dog,” He grinned.

“I’m just in the bath. I’ll be quick just make yourself at home,” I was still shaking a bit, but now I was having an adrenaline crash.

I went back and cleaned up my wine that had spilled and let out the tub. I ran the shower so I could rinse off and quickly got out. I went into the bedroom and changed into pajamas. I texted Gabe that if he really wanted naked chats he shouldn’t have invited over Travis for me.

“You shouldn’t be here, okay?” I heard Travis say as I walked into the living room. He was poking his head out of the door.

“Trav?” I asked lightly and he shut the door immediately, locked it and spun around to see me.

“Who was that?” I asked.

“Please don’t ask me that, okay? And just let’s pretend no one came to the door, cool?” Trav came toward me and tried to lead me to the couch, but I couldn’t let it go.

“Was it Lucas? I can call the police because of that.” I walked around him, but he was quicker and stood in front of the door.

“It wasn’t Lucas or I would have beat his ass.”

“Courtney? Was it Courtney? Did she look okay?” I asked a bit frantically.

“Chill, girl,” Trav said sympathetically and put his hands on my shoulders. “It was Courtney, but now probably isn’t the best time and I don’t trust her.”

“You’re the guard dog. Just let her in and you can be here to protect me…okay? She must want to tell me something. She’s been gone for days now…”

“I’m going to stand in the doorway and you two can talk from either side. Take it or leave it, lady,” Trav eyed me as if to say don’t even think about another alternative to this situation.

“Fine,” I relented. I felt like I was a teenager through all of this. I couldn’t be on my own or talk to people that I wanted to. I was appreciative of the support from my friends, but the protectiveness was a bit much.

Travis sighed before opening the door and Courtney was now slumped down on the wall opposite the door. When he opened the door, she immediately scrambled to her feet. She looked okay for being gone for a few days, hopefully she had checked into a hotel. Courtney seemed shy and avoided my eyes a bit. Travis held true to his word and leaned on the door jam, spreading his feet into the hall and into the apartment. He didn’t say a word, but gave me a nod that he was in his position and ready.

“You’re okay, I was worried,” I said approaching the door and I stood as close to Travis’ foot as I could. I didn’t want to push the limit either.

“I’m okay. I told you I was,” She said weakly and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear.

“What’s going on with you and my brother?” Courtney shifted back and forth on her feet and looked really nervous.

“Have you talked to Lucas?”

“He left me a message about it. He called crying that he made a big mistake, but he was insanely worried about me and freaked on you…and you got a restraining order…” She bit her bottom lip tightly and finally looked up at me.

“He’s been a problem with me for a bit, as you know, but when you went missing he came into the bar I was in and basically ripped me out of my seat and screamed at me. I couldn’t deal with it any more. I felt bad, but I needed to protect myself too,” I tried to get her to understand my side and not come across defensive. I didn’t want to set her off.

“A restraining order? Did it really have to come to this?”

“Whatever happened between your brother and me is just that, between us. I don’t want to involve you in it, but yes, it was necessary. I don’t want to sound rude, but why are you here?” I asked calmly.

“You’re tearing my family apart,” Courtney cried and stepped toward me. Travis stood up straight and came between us.

“Courtney, how did I tear your family apart? If Lucas hasn’t have been the way he was and done the things he’s done to me, it wouldn’t have come to this. Lucas is the one tearing your family apart. He’s the one that kicked you out,” I tried not to raise my voice, but it was a bit hard.

“He kicked me out because of you,” She countered.

“Because you were friends with me,” I stated matter-of-factly. “How crazy does that sound? I’m going to get mad at you and kick you out because of whom your friends are. That’s not me, Court. I understand he’s your brother, so you’re protective, but this has nothing to do with me,” I told her and I was surprisingly put together and I didn’t even know it was possible for me to be as calm as I was.

“Everything was fine until you showed up. Until you came into Lucas’ life and mine,” She cried.

“Courtney…I didn’t do anything to you. You pursued me and Lucas is the one that forced this, okay?” I said calmly.

“Just stay away from my family and me,” She cried angrily and stepped toward me. Travis immediately straightened up and stood between us and at the same time wrapped his arm closest to me around my waist and pushed me behind him.

“Courtney, I think it’s time for you to go and I’m going to advise you to leave Sadie alone, okay?” Travis was very clear and calm in his delivery, but definitely stern.

“As long as she promises to stay out of my business and away from my family,” Courtney sobbed.

“I think that’s what she did by getting the restraining order,” Travis laughed a bit as he put her in her place.

Travis just closed the door; there wasn’t anything she could say to that. She was mad I had gotten the restraining order, but she wanted me to stay away, which was the main reason I got it to begin with. I think Courtney was just scared and confused. I understood where she was coming from and the wanting to protect her family, but she was frantic and almost panicked about it all and wasn’t in the best state to tell us what she was feeling. I just stayed behind Travis for a moment and he locked the door before turning around to look at me.

“You okay?” He asked and pulled me into a hug.

“I’m fine, actually,” I smiled up at him. “Thank you for being there,” I held him tighter.

“I felt pretty powerful,” He laughed as he let me go.

“You were pretty powerful. I think this calls for something special,” I smiled and went over to the stereo and searched my iPod. I turned to Travis and his face was like a kid in a candy store, so happy. “I'm tired of playing on the team; it seems I don't get time out anymore…” I sang and Trav swayed back and forth singing “One on One,” by Hall & Oates, his favorite song by his favorite band. I knew how to make him happy.

After listening to “One on One” five more times, we collapsed on the couch to watch a movie. I put my feet in Travis’ lap as we talked and watched SuperBad. I put the entire incident out of my head and just relaxed and gave my full attention to my friend, which was good because we had a lot of catching up to do.

“Did I ever tell you what the first thing Gabe told me about you?” Trav asked after a long while.

“Do I even want to know? Was it after I bolted off the bus that one night?” I asked covering my face to fake embarrassment.

“Nah, it was way before that night. It was the beginning of that tour though and we were talking about relationships and important people in our lives and all and you know what he said about you?”

“I don’t think I want to know,” I laughed eyeing Travis to see if this was some sort of set up.

“You want to know and I want you to know because even though he’s not here and he’s super protective lately, there’s a reason for it,” He swiveled on the couch a bit to face me more.

“Are you going to tell me it’s because he loves me?” I asked sarcastically.

“Well, yes, but he told me that you were the person who made him realize what he could be. You’re the person who showed him he could be whatever he wanted to be and for that he’s become a richer and better person, so yes, he loves you, but you are more than Sadler, more than his friend, more than his wife, you’re his world, okay?”

“Did he really say that?” I asked a little skeptical.

“Do you think I’m that quick to make that up on the spot?” He laughed. “Plus, you do it to everyone without knowing it. When Gabe told me all about you, I was like ‘why are you with Morgan, dude?’ He was just trying to get by, but he was like crazy about you,” Trav said excitedly and shook my feet. “He get’s protective and you feel smothered, but it’s because you mean so much to him.”

“I know…I know…” I sighed. “Listen, I know…that Gabe didn’t really talk to anyone when we were going through that rough patch, but…did he say anything to you? I know there’s the bro-code and all and we went to counseling, but sometimes I feel like he didn’t say everything. I feel like when he gets like this it’s part of that old time. He’s never been this protective…I mean circumstances are different, but still…” I rambled. I had wanted to ask his other friends, besides Rob what he was thinking during that time. I knew I needed to let it go, but I just couldn’t.

“I talked to him…he just felt like there was nothing he could do. He felt helpless and he didn’t like that. I’m sure he feels like he will do anything now to feel like he’s helping…”

“Don’t tell him I ever asked you,” I laughed and crawled over to give him a huge hug.

“I won’t ever tell him. You two crazy kids!” He laughed and rocked me back and forth.

“Sorry, it got a little deep there,” I laughed. “Another movie?”

“You should get some sleep, it’s been a long day.”

“Oh man, not another Gabe,” I smiled and looked at the time on the TV. It was definitely way past my bedtime. “I’ll set you up in the guest room, cool?”

“I’m okay on the couch,” He said as he stretched.

“You’re just like Gabe,” I rolled my eyes. “You both are like eight-hundred feet tall and want to hang all off the couch. Go to the guest room!” I pointed down the hall and he begrudgingly got up off the couch, rubbed my head and went down the hall to the bedroom.

I shut off all the lights and made my way back to my bedroom. I went to the bathroom and grabbed my computer and threw it on the bed. I picked up my cell phone that was charging and Gabe had texted me back.

If you let Travis see you naked, I’ll kill you both.

I laughed and texted him to sign onto iChat if he was awake. I got under the covers and put the computer next to me and waited for him to either sign on or text me to say he was too tired.

“Hey, boo,” I heard as my eyelids grew heavy. I immediately smiled at the sound of his voice.

“I love you. I miss you and thank you,” I propped myself up on one of my elbows.

“I love you. I miss you. You’re welcome?” He laughed in confusion. “What are you thanking me for? Being insanely hot?”

“Well, yes you are hot, but no…Thank you for sending Travis. We made out all night,” I smiled mischievously.

“I just wish I was there to watch,” He laughed.

“I know I’m stubborn…I just want to know even despite all my bitching that I appreciate it. I want you to feel okay being on the road. I love you.”

“Thank you for putting up with it and appeasing me. I just feel better when I know you’re safe,” He smirked as he readjusted himself in his bunk.

“I can’t wait for you to be here with me in a month,” I sighed.

“Me either. Go to sleep babe. You need to be up soon and your eyelids are doing that twitching thing when you’re overtired.”

“Can you just sleep with me?” I yawned almost on cue.

“Close your eyes. I’m here,” Gabe put his laptop next to him and rolled onto his side and I shut my eyes. I felt safer than ever and hopefully this would all be over soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I actually left you hanging! Not my intentions at all! Thank you all! I appreciate everyone who is reading, commenting and subscribing to my story!

Let me know what you think! :)