‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Know Your Enemy

In the morning I left Travis a little note and put it on the back of the door, so he’d see it and tip-toed to the door so I didn’t wake him up. I opened the door and Courtney fell into my legs; she must have been asleep against the door. She immediately scurried up off the floor and straightened herself out. I walked out of the apartment and shut the door.

“Have you been here all night?” I asked a bit short as I walked down to the elevator.

“I left and came back and I just wanted to give you space…” Courtney hiccupped as she followed me. “I…I just didn’t know what to do.”

“Do about what? It’s my business,” I couldn’t look at her as I waited for the elevator. I started to tap my toe impatiently as I waited.

“Lucas doesn’t want me to be around him. I thought…I thought he would have cooled down by now and he might have if you didn’t go and get the restraining order,” She said sternly.

“Again, none of your business…” I hit the elevator button again, as if it made a difference.

“He doesn’t want me to see him or Matthew again…I was just upset and I took it out on you…” She trailed. I could feel her standing perpendicular to me and wanting me to acknowledge her, but I just had to keep focused. I couldn’t keep letting her in.

“I’m sorry about that,” I said genuinely and finally the elevator arrived.

“I’m sorry for everything…you were my only real friend and I use friend loosely, but still. I know you probably think I’m just like my brother for acting out like that, but I’m scared…Lucas and I have always been connected, each other’s buddy and now he’s not there. I acted out of line and I’m sorry,” Her voice trembled as she spoke and stepped on the elevator behind me. I turned around and leaned against the back of the elevator and she stood right in front of me.

“I don’t know if I can trust you and I don’t know if I should, if I think I can,” I sighed. “I just…my life was in shambles when I met Lucas and just as things were turning around he seemed to try and mess it all up again. I just need some normalcy in my life and I’m sorry, but right now that doesn’t involve you,” I almost choked on the words. It would have been easier if she wasn’t right in front of me, but that’s always the easy way, isn’t it?

“I understand, but I just had to tell you and I have some information for you if you choose to use it or not,” She took a deep breath and dug into her messenger bag as she followed me out of the elevator and through the lobby.

“What is that?” I asked spinning around.

“It’s Samantha’s information. I tracked her down…I knew things weren’t going well and Matthew shouldn’t be going through stuff like this. He needs his mother…” She handed me a piece of paper.

“Have you called her? Is she looking to be back in Matthew’s life?”

“No…I was waiting for the right time and honestly, now may be it. She may want nothing to do with Matthew or she may want to be involved – I don’t know at this point, but for his sake maybe try it.”

“Why don’t you just do it? Leave me out of this whole complicated mess?” I asked and just started walking again. I was going to be late if I didn’t book it to the subway.

“Because if I do it he’ll hate me forever, but if you do it…well, then I can get back in and be there for him…as if nothing happened,” She said solemnly.

“I can’t. First of all, it’s not right and second of all I am not going to keep letting myself get involved in all of this,” I snapped as I threw up my hands at her.

“Please, just take it in case,” Courtney shoved the piece of paper in my hand and it was almost ominous.

“Is something going to happen? Why are you acting like this?” I stepped away slowly from her.

“No, but if things have gotten to the point where you need a restraining order, then I guess you never know. I just want you to be safe. I love my brother of course, but he so easily turned his back on me and you’re a good person. You deserve to have happiness, that’s all.”

“Thanks…” I didn’t know how to respond to her. “I really have to go or I’ll be late,” I adjusted my bag on my shoulder and felt a bit awkward.

“Of course. Get to work,” She smiled.

“Good luck with everything. I’m really sorry about all of this.”

“I know, believe me I know. Thank you for the luck and good luck to you,” She smiled and turned on her heels and walked in the opposite direction.

I stuffed the piece of paper she gave me into my jacket pocket and walked a bit more to the subway station. I waited for the train impatiently. I shouldn’t let Courtney ruin my day. I tried to take some calming breaths and I pulled out my mp3 player from my purse and put it on. Hopefully, the music would relax me by the time I got to work.

When I got off the train and started my walk to work I was calm. I had to just let things go and not let them effect me as much as they have; they would win if I let them get the best of me. I walked into my department and greeted Margot and then headed into my office. I checked my voicemail and started in on my e-mails and finalizing our January orientation program. I needed to be on top of my work and this program with everything going on and my trip to Europe. I didn’t want to leave anything undone to be messed up while I was away, that’s all I needed.

“Hey, are you going to the president’s dinner tomorrow night?” Margot asked startling me out of my work.

“If I get my breath back…” I sighed clutching my heart.

“I’m sorry. I thought you heard me knock…” She apologized sincerely.

“It’s okay,” I smiled. “I guess I was just in the zone,” I relaxed back in my chair.

“So, are you going tomorrow night? I’ve never been and I could use some help with what to wear,” Margot spewed nervously.

“Oh, you know…I totally forgot to even RSVP,” I said and looked in my drawers for the invitation. I found it and scanned it for a deadline; it was about two weeks ago.

“Well, I replied that I’d be attending with a guest, hoping that would will the heavens to open up and send me a man, but oddly that did not happen,” She smirked. “So, I am in need of a date. It would be rude to show up without a guest,” She was almost begging me to go with her at this point.

“Well, I’ll think about it…” I took a deep breath. I should really go, it’s important, but I really just wasn’t into it. I wanted to just hibernate at home, but I knew that wasn’t the right thing to do either.

“Don’t think about it come,” She said excitedly. “And we can go dress shopping tonight?”

“Okay, okay, okay,” I laughed at her excitement over the whole event. “Thank you for inviting me.”

“Of course. I am so excited for us to go shopping. We haven’t been shopping since I got rid of my ex,” She chuckled a bit. “Now, we’re sort of celebrating my singledom.”

“Well, my husband is away and I’m lonely…not technically single, but we can still toast to singledom!” I laughed.

“Perfect! Thank you,” She smiled. Margot was so excited.

“Of course, I’m glad we’re going together.”

Margot left and I went back to my computer and plugged away. I was getting a lot done and making a lot of progress, which was making me very happy and less nervous to go away.

“You could have at least called me to tell me you were at work,” I heard someone say breathlessly from my doorway.

“Trav? What are you doing here?” I asked eyeing him.

“I got up and you were gone and I was nervous,” He slumped down in my chair and Margot was right behind him.

“He’s fine Margot,” I laughed and she nodded. “It’s almost three in the afternoon and you could have called me. I left you a note too,” I leaned back in my chair and just chuckled to myself. Trav was trying to catch his breath and was as white as a ghost. “Want some of my water?” I asked handing him my opened water bottle. He grabbed it and chugged it. “Did you run from my house to here?” I laughed.

“Sadler, I was going to throw myself into traffic if you weren’t here,” Travis leaned forward and put his head in his hands.

“Trav, my God. I left you a note. I didn’t want to wake you and you could have called me,” I got up from my desk and sat in the chair next to him and rubbed his back.

“I across the quad and up the stairs to here, which is a lot for me who never runs,” Travis sat up and had caught his breath. “I didn’t see the note and you were gone. I just freaked out because Gabe would have killed me if anything had happen to you, so I just ran out of the house and hopped in a cab to get over here…”

“I’m sorry,” I hugged him tightly and kissed the side of his head. “I thought you would have seen the note. I left it taped to the back of the door, so when you opened it you’d see it.”

“I didn’t see it. I’m just glad you’re okay.”

“I’m fine. I’m going shopping tonight with Margot for a dress for the president’s dinner tomorrow and then I’ll be home.”

“Can I come? Sheis kind of cute…I could watch you guys twirl around and give you the guys opinion,” He offered with a wing and a devious smile and took one more glance at Margot.

“You can’t date her, but if you really want to come I’m sure it’ll be fine. But, if it’s just to be the bodyguard…seriously I’ll be fine.”

“It’s a little of both, so what does that mean? Can I still come?” He gave me the excited kid in a candy store look, where if I said no I’d instantly see sad eyes.

“Fine, you can come along.”

“Can I just hang out with Margot till you’re done?” He winked.

“She is a sweet and innocent girl, please don’t corrupt her,” I pointed at him and waited for him to nod.

“I won’t, but if she’s willing…can’t deny that,” Travis licked his lips and got up to slip out the door before I could scold him again.

I just laughed and I heard him introduce himself to Margot and they started to chat. I shut my door a little and got back to being productive.

“You ready to blow this place?” Travis asked as he leaned into my office with Margot ready to go behind him.

“Oh fuck! Sorry, didn’t realize it was six already!” I quickly shut down my computer and gathered all the stuff I needed and headed out with Travis and Margot.

We went to a small boutique near the college that had a ton of cute dresses. Margot and I tried them on and modeled them for Travis, who was honest to a fault.

“Makes your ass look weird and you’ve got a nice ass,” Travis said as I spun on my tip toes in the 360 mirror.

“Thank you. I thought it did too, but I love this color,” I sighed setting down on my feet.

“The color looks amazing on you, but that poof or whatever makes your ass look weird- not terrible, but not great either,” He said as he lounged on a huge round ottoman.

“What about this one?” Margot asked as she came out from behind the curtain.

“Marg, that looks amazing on you and great with your red hair, which I’m jealous of,” I was speechless. The dress Margot tried on looked amazing on her and highlighted all of her assets.

“You think?” She asked unsure as she looked herself over in the mirror.

“Travis needs to lift his jaw off the floor, so I don’t think – I know!” I laughed and pushed Travis’ mouth closed.

“I’m gonna get it then,” Margot smiled at both of us and then went to change.

“I need to find something!” I sighed and stormed back into the dressing room. “I only have two more options!” I shouted out to them.

“They all looked great except that last one,” Trav shouted back.

“Thank you!” I shimmed into another dress and walked out of the dressing room and now both Margot and Travis were waiting for me.

“Baby, that’s it. You look amazing!” Travis said with a serious face and he looked me over.

“That hugs your body perfectly! The color looks amazing on you. You’re so lucky you’re not pale all year round,” Margot laughed.

“Is it fine you think for tomorrow?”

“Of course it is! And you look amazing!”

“Thanks Margot. All three of us should go out shopping again. It’s grounding, yet my ego feels boosted,” I sauntered back into the dressing room.

“You ladies will look gorgeous tomorrow.”

“Thanks, boo,” I shouted and came out dressed and with the dress in hand.

After shopping Margot, Travis and I grabbed a quick bite to eat before going our separate ways. Travis came back home with me and I had an envelope waiting for me at the front desk. I grabbed it and read it in the elevator.

Great choice getting the black and nude dress. It looked perfect on you.[/i}

“Did you give Gabe a play by play of the dresses I tried on tonight?” I laughed and stuffed the card back into the envelope.

“No, haven’t talked to Gabe since last night,” Travis shrugged.

“Really?” I asked now trying to figure out the note. “Is this from you?” I followed him out of the elevator and to our apartment.

“What? The note? I’ve been with you all night, you would have known if it were me,” He grabbed the note out of my hand. “Looks like a girls handwriting, maybe Margot sent it?”

“Maybe? She’s cute,” I said grabbing it back and shoving it back in my bag. The note did not sit well with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I'm terrible! I should have another update in the next few days too! Thanks for everything guys! You're amazing!

Comments are always appreciated - let me know what you think :)