Secret

Chapter 5

-Chapter 5-

The next day I walked into homeroom and scanned the room for Ryan. Crap… He wasn’t here yet. Mrs. Poe called me to her desk. “Good morning, Mrs. Poe.” Holy eff. I’m a teacher’s pet, I thought.

“Ditto,” she said in a quite cheerful manner. “Did you and Reggie get along yesterday?”

“It’s Ryan… And we got along just fine. We have two other classes together.”

“Great.” She carried on and on but I didn’t quite catch everything she said because my mind was preoccupied, and when I have other things on my mind I tend to not listen.

I occasionally answered with a “Yes”, “Okay”, “Of Course”, and “Why would a penguin eat that?” even though I had no clue what was going on. Finally, she seemed to be done talking and sent me to my seat. “Where the eff is Ryan?” I murmured to myself. “The bell is gonna ring in 5, 4…" In ran Ryan. “3, 2, 1.” The bell rang that annoying flat key. “I knew it.”

“Cutting it a bit close Bryan. Next week I’ll begin giving out tardies.”

“Okay. And it’s Ryan.” He came and sat next to me. “Hey, what’s up?” He kissed me on the cheek.

“Nothing much. Look, I talked to my mom. She wants to meet you when you come to pick me up on Saturday. Just make a good impression. Tell her that Mauricio is your cousin ‘cause she likes him, and tell her that there will be adults and no alcohol and all that good stuff.”

“Whoa. That’s a lot to remember.”

“Oh, and don’t stutter. She’ll see it as a lie and she rip your effing head off once you show her your weakness.”

“I’m scared.”

“You’re not alone. Everyone is.” The rest of the day inched by ever so slowly. Ryan drove me home again and at first I wasn’t going to invite him in for a second time but what the hell? Why not? “You wanna come in?” I asked in an innocent tone. “This time we’ll keep it on friendly terms.”

A mischievous grin grew on his face. “Sure.” He parked and got my stuff from the trunk. We came inside and he went straight to My Love. “Hey baby! Aren’t you just the cutest thing?! Yes you are! Yes you are!” What exactly is he smoking? I thought to myself.

“You want a sandwich?”

“No thanks, but if you always give me free food and drinks I might have to make a daily habit of coming over here.”

He was staring out of the blinds again. I walked over to him and took My Love from his hands and placed him gently on the ground. “You wanna go outside?”

“I’d love to.” We went outside and the hot Florida sun shone down relentlessly but my, was the lake beautiful. You could really get wrapped up in a sight like this. A mother duck led her chicks out of the water less than a few yards away from us. “My God. The sun is brutal,” Ryan said breaking the tranquility.

“You wanna go inside?”

“Yeah.” Once inside the AC felt like ice against our faces.

“Ooh! You have to see my mouse!”

“You have a mouse?”

“Obviously.” I led him to my room where he sat on my bed after I handed him Tom. “Ms. Williams gave him to me last year. She was gonna feed him to the snake but he didn’t want him.”

“So you saved him?”

“Pretty much.” Tom weaved through Ryan’s fingers and crawled up his arm. Ryan was one of the few people who would even come near Tom. He put him back in his tank and asked to go to the bathroom to wash his hands. I showed him where it was and I headed to the kitchen to make myself an after school snack. A few minutes later I felt Ryan’s arms slide around my waist from behind. He began to tenderly bite my neck. “Ryan… I…” I didn’t say stop because I didn’t want him to stop. He turned me around and collided his lips against mine. His tongue penetrated my mouth and began to explore. He pulled back and nibbled on my collar bone. I held in a moan that was itching to get out. “Maybe we should…”

“Shh…,” he held his finger to my mouth. “Just let it flow.” What had started as gentle kisses had turned vigorous and frantic. I was pinned against the wall with Ryan squeezing my waist with one hand and the other was up my shirt just barely touching my lower back, sending chills up my spine. I had never felt anything like I was feeling right then. I kissed back with all my muscle and might causing him to moan.

He bit down on my neck again. I took the break as a chance to say, “What happened to ‘keeping it on friendly terms’?” I smiled and awaited his response.

He laughed under his breath. “I want you too bad to do that.” I ran my fingers through his hair and twirled a bit of it around my finger. He brought his lips back up to mine and we tongued ferocious occasionally biting each other on accident. “Damn,” he whispered. His hands slid to my pants and fumbled with the zipper.

I placed my hands on his. “Ryan, no,” I said in a serious tone.

He peered deep into my eyes and seemed to look deep in my soul, like he knew all of my secrets and all of my past. Those beautiful green eyes. “Trust me.” His voice was sincere but stern. Almost intimidating. “I’d never hurt you.” He paused. “If you want me to stop, I’ll stop.”

I couldn’t remember the last time I had felt safe with someone like this. At ease, like he’d protect me from everything and I had just met him. “I want you but I’m not ready for anything pass where we are now. We should take things a little slower.”

“Okay,” he said appearing as if he wasn’t fazed at all.

I looked at my watch. “Holy ish! My brother and sister will be here any minute now!”

“Shit!” Ryan and I ran to the door. “I’ll call you later.” He gave me a peck on the lips and left. I watched him drive away through the window in the kitchen. And what did I know? The bus dropped off my siblings less than three minutes later.