Status: Hiatus

The Four Stars

Chapter 10

Jullien’s Outfit
dress and shoes

Joanine’s Outfit
dress and shoes

Marleon’s Outfit
dress and shoes

Geneve’s Outfit
shirt and jeans, and shoes

Juvien’s Outfit
shirt and jeans, and shoes

Everad’s Outfit
shirt and jeans, and shoes

Jullien’s P.O.V

“I look absolutely beautiful.” I was amazed at how I looked when I looked at myself in the mirror again. Joanine did a great job with the little make-up she put on, the shoes and dress she bought. Even though Joanine irritates me with her shopping I absolutely love her for making me look this awesome.

“Come on let’s go.” She pulls me toward her room door. She stops and turns back for something and picks it up. She turns to me, “Don’t forget this, you might need it.” I grin at her and take the lip gloss.

We hurriedly walk out of her house. She seems so excited about this. Is there something I don’t know about? I’m the birthday girl – I should be the one bubbling over with joy. But I’m not. Why? For the last few days I’ve not been myself. I’m actually feeling guilty for not accepting Genève’s apology. Now, it’s my seventeenth birthday and I haven’t even made up with him. I feel terrible for not doing so, and I don’t even think I’m going to enjoy the night because of my guilt. I guess I’ll just have to put on a façade around my small group of friends; I wouldn’t want them to feel like they’ve wasted their time spending it with a girl who isn’t even thanking them.

We approach the door of my house and Joanine eagerly opens it. As we walk into the familiar setting we head to the living room where my friends are to be gathered, but when we stand at the top of the steps leading to the living room I see no one. “Where’s everyone?” I ask, my sad mood reflecting in the tone of my voice.

“SURPRISE!” People shout popping out from behind the furniture. I gasp surprised and start smiling wildly at the people in front of me. So much for small group of friends, not that I mind the amount of people in my living room. They’re all here to celebrate my seventeenth birthday and I’m grateful. I just hope I don’t allow my guilt to consume me.

Music starts blasting from the stereo in the corner playing up-beat music by Daft Punk. I walk into the living room with Joanine pulling me and receiving ‘happy birthday’s’ from my friends. I see people occasionally taking food from the table in one corner of the room and moving to the rhythm of the music. Juvien walks up to me and hugs me, almost crushing me.

“Happy birthday Jullien.” He says after releasing me from his bone crushing hug.

“Thanks Juvien, but please don’t try to crush me to pieces.” He laughs at me and pulls Joanine toward him. She stands at his side and he wraps his arm around her.

“Sorry. I hope you enjoy the party.”

“Thanks.” I mumble ‘I sure hope I can’ and Juvien looks at me raising his eyebrow.

“Well Joanine and I are going to dance.” He says pulling her into the middle of the room.

“Have fun.” Joanine waves before turning around.

I go to the food table and place random food items on my plate. I pour myself some punch and rest the cup on the table. Leaning on the wall near the food table my eyes spot the one person I’ve been dreading to see.

Genève.

He’s standing on the opposite side of the room in the corner, near the entrance of the living room. He sips some of his punch and watches the people on the dance floor. His eyes flicker to me and he looks away after a few seconds. Just that one look he gave me sent a pang through my chest.

Now I feel worse.

Look at these people at my birthday party – they’re enjoying themselves and I’m not. I should be having fun, but because of this guilt slowly eating me away I’m not. Why couldn’t I just forgive him when I had the chance? Why do I have to be so stubborn and cause all of this unnecessary –

“Jullien happy birthday.” Marleon takes me away from my mind with her French accent.

“Hey birthday girl.” Everad says while hugging me.

I smile at them showing that I truly do appreciate them coming to my party.

Marleon puts a frown on her dark skin which doesn’t take away the beauty from her face. “Why are you in a corner by yourself? You should be having fun - ” she points to the middle of the room, “ – on the dance floor.”

I giggle, “I’m just having a little snack. I don’t what to dance and eat at the same time.”

She looks at me not believing a word I just said. “Really? The way you looked before we came here was like you were deep in thought about something. Your face looked melancholic.”

I cringe at her revelation. Since Marleon and the rest of my gang (Juvien, Joanine, and Geneve) have met, she and Everad adapted to our behaviour quickly. They easily figured us out and had absolutely no problem after being associated with us after a short time.
Everad puts a reassuring hand on my shoulder and looks at me, “We’ve seen how Genève looks too.” I groan hearing him talk about Genève, but he continues to speak, “I don’t think it’s healthy for you two to be angry at each other, especially for so many days Jules. He loves you and I’m sure if you apologize he’ll forgive you.”

I frown at his last comment. “I don’t think so. Besides, I deserve it if he doesn’t forgive me. I’ve been such an idiot towards him.”

Marleon flashes her hand and in one direction as to dismiss my comment. “Forget about that. If he loves you he’ll forgive you.”

I give them both a weak smile and they hug me before taking up some punch and leaving to talk to a group of people at another corner of the room. I consider what Everad has said and try to build some will power. While I’m contemplating I see my parents walking in to the room with a cake and the number ‘17’ candle lighted. They rest it on another table in the room and call me over.

The cake that was made for me is chocolate with only the top of the cake bathed in creamy orange flavoured icing. Around the top edges of the cake are neatly placed butterflies in blue, lime-green, yellow and red. The cake looks even more amazing with the candles adorning it.

My friends sing happy birthday for me while I smile until my jaws hurt.

“Make a wish Jullien.” My father says, then placing a kiss on my head.

I look into the crowd of people and down and the lighted candles. I close my eyes, blow out the candles, and pray that my wish comes true. Everyone claps while my mother removes the candles and places them in the kitchen, while my father cuts a slice of cake for me before giving everyone else their share.

Juvien takes some of his icing and purposely wipes some of it on her cheek. He bends down and licks it off her face. She blushes at his gestures and giggles, then
hides her face in his chest. That reminds me of something…

“Jullien, there is some gelato on your cheek.” He moves closer towards me with the napkin in his hand. He raises his hand to my cheek to wipe off the gelato. Instead I feel something wet being mixed with the gelato on my face. To my surprise, Genève has his lips on my cheek wiping the gelato off seductively. I gasp with the feeling of having his lips on my face. To make things worse Juvien snapped a picture while Genève got rid of the gelato. He pulls away and giggles, “That gelato tastes really good, especially on you.”

…That happened on the last day of our summer vacation and I remember how I reacted. How could I forget?

“Genève that was so embarrassing. Why did you do that?” I say with gritted teeth.

“That wasn’t embarrassing.” He takes up his gelato. “I did it because I wanted to.” Smiling with his white teeth showing, he puts a spoon of gelato in his mouth. He slowly removes the spoon while staring at me. “You totally loved it.” He says putting the spoon in the glass bowl.

“No I didn’t.” I quickly say taking up my cream.

“You’re lying to me Jullien. I can see right through you.” He startles me by holding onto my left shoulder and whispering into my ear, “Your cheeks are red.” His cold breath dances on my skin before he pulls away.

I finish my cake quickly and take a gulp of my punch. My eyes dart around the room and then outside. I’m going to swallow my pride. I’ll forget about how stubborn I am and make a decision.

I sigh before opening the screen door and stepping outside. I slowly walk toward the edge of the pool with my heart pounding in my chest. I stand beside my decision and pray that my wish comes true. Relying on the words of Marleon and Everad as hope, I make a bold step.

“Genève.” I say, but it comes out as a whisper. He hears me and faces me with his hands still in his pocket. I look at his calm face being illuminated by the moon’s rays.

“Happy birthday.” He cracks a smile and surveys me.

“Thank you.” I ignore what he’s doing and look at him. “I know I’ve been a stubborn, spoilt, little brat.” He continues to stare at me without saying a word. “I’ve also been stupid for not realizing that people who truly care and love me wouldn’t do things to hurt me. I started this tension between us and I should be the one to end it. You’ve asked for my forgiveness so many times and I turned you down. I feel really stupid for doing that because it caused me nothing but guilt. I forgive you but -” I pause and stare in to his beautiful green eyes and make the statement that I hope will make him consider what I was saying. “ – I am sorry, please forgive me.” A gush of wind passes by making my dress flow gracefully and Genève’s curly brunette hair dangles above his eyes. Genève staring at me and the silence in the air is making my heart beat really fast. Say something please.

His eyes flicker to something on my face and I feel something working its way inside of me. What is this I’m feeling?

He finally opens his mouth and speaks with his velvety voice like relief breaking the silence. “I forgive you.” He smiles – the smile I had missed for so many days. I smile along with him and hug him tightly. He hugs me back showing how grateful he is that we’re finally speaking to each other again.

I release my hold and look at his smiling face. My wish did come true – Genève forgave me. I get that feeling again and notice that it’s building up inside of me. I search his eyes for something and now, I can see it. It’s always been there, but I’ve always been denying it. I was just pushing it away and letting myself believe that it wasn’t true. The memories are coming back to me.

Our last day of summer when Genève jumped off the boardwalk.

“You’re going to come to me Jullien. I don’t know what you’re afraid of. ” He tells her thoughtfully. “I know you love me so just come out with it and say it.”

We were in the restaurant eating dessert I said to myself – Genève is my best friend, nothing more. Once I believe that, then I’ll be fine.

When Genève and I were having dessert in Mr. and Mrs. Bastille’s kitchen (Joanine’s parents).

“You kissed me back when I kissed you. Does that not mean something to you?” He looks at her desperately.

Jullien takes a few seconds to answer him. “Yes it does. It means you were the first boy I ever kissed.”

“That’s all it means to you?”

“Yes.”

I pull him towards me and crash my lips on his. He doesn’t respond due to the sudden movement. He eventually kisses me back and after a few seconds I pull away from him and see his smile widen.

“I was stupid to believe what I was telling myself.”

He pulls me towards him self and wraps his arms around my waist. “What’s that?”

“I was afraid of telling my self the truth, but I don’t have to worry anymore.”

“Why?” He removes a stray curl from my face and tucks it behind my ear.

“Because I do love you Genève.” He immediately crashes his lips on mine, if he wasn’t holding me I’m sure I would have moved a step or fallen, but he holds me in his grasp. I hear something click and pull away Genève to see my cousin, Juvien, with his digital camera in his hand and a victorious grin on his face. Joanine stands beside him sharing his victory.

She smiles widely at Genève and I. “It took you long enough.” She raises both of her arms like she’s flexing her muscles and says, “Finally!”

My friends from inside, along with the adults, have gathered outside looking at us curiously. Juvien and Joanine tell them of what just happened and they erupt with cheers, hollering, and claps. Marleon and Everad smile happily at us and they laugh showing how happy they are for us.

I am pleased. I don’t have to hide what I’ve been feeling any longer. I can be happy without caring what the world thinks. I have the love of someone who truly cares about me. What’s there to worry about?
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys love this chapter because I absolutely do. I didn't receive any comments the last time, nor the time before that. I love comments. It doesn't hurt for you guys to say hello or criticize my work - good and bad. I will take the comments happily. Thank you for reading.