Sequel: Worth Waiting For

It's A Roller Coaster Ride We're On

Broken Promises

Image

“Morning oh sick one,” I said, closing the door to Joe’s room behind me. “How are you feeling?”

“Much better… I kept that soup down last night. I’m actually kind of hungry now.” He said. He was sitting up in bed, looking much better.

“Want some toast?”

“Please. So, you’re staying all day right?”

“I told you I would. Today is about you Joe. Though, I think you should nap at some point later on. You’re going to need it. Trust me.”

“Fine. If it will make you happy.”

“It will.” I said, sitting next to him on the bed with his toast in my hand.

“Thanks.” He said, taking a bite. “Man, I wish I had some Nutella for this.”

“Oh, yeah, because that’s good for you to eat after being sick.”

“Yupp.” He said, taking another bite.

****

The two of us just sat in his room for hours and hours watching TV and talking and having fun. When I’m with Joe I can be myself and have fun. He always makes me laugh. His head was resting on my shoulder and his eyes were drooping.

“Okay sleepy head, time for a nap.” I said, gently rolling out from under him.

“No, I’m fine.” He mumbled into the pillow.

“Yeah, say that again when you’re completely conscious.” I said, pulling the blankets over him. I smoothed his hair back and kissed his forehead. “Get some sleep. I’ll be here when you wake up.”

“Lyss?”

“Hm?”

“Please, don’t pick Nick. I see how much he likes you but… I just don’t know what will happen if you pick him. Please.” He said. It all came out slightly muffled because his head was still buried in the pillow. I sighed and sat back next to him, taking his hand in mine.

“Joe, I’m not ready to pick anyone. Not yet. At least I don’t think.” I said.

“You should make up your mind.” He said.

“Soon. I hope. Now, go to sleep.”

****

As soon as Joe was asleep, I quietly slipped out of the room, in search of the others. Kevin and Lauren had gone out again and Denise said Nick was somewhere in the hotel. She said he seemed upset about something so I decided to look for him. I was walking around the first floor, past conference rooms when I heard someone playing the piano. Is that… ’A Little Bit Longer’?

I strolled around the corner to find a ballroom. There was a large grand piano sitting in the middle of the room, a person with curly hair playing it. He was singing along softly, and it was definitely Nick. I silently walked in and sat next to him. He quickly glanced up and I gave him a small smile as he continued to play.

I couldn’t help but tear up as I listened to him sing. He sounded so pained. I placed my hand on his thigh. He played the final note and I saw a tear drop slide down his cheek. He turned to look at me, his eyes burning holes into mine. Before I knew it, he leaned forward and his lips were on mine; moving gently yet furiously… warm and soft. I didn’t know how to react so I started to kiss back. Then, something clicked in my head and I pulled away, catching my breath.

“Nick… you’re 16.” I said quietly.

“What difference does that make?” he asked, sounding confused.

“Well, I’m four years older than you. And… I’m working with you. I can’t…”

“Melissa… you like me, don’t you?” he asked, placing his hand on my cheek.

“Well… yeah… of course I do.”

“No Mel. You know what I mean.” He said; his voice strong. I bit my lip and looked up at him.

“Yes.”

“Then what’s the problem?” he asked, throwing his hands in the air.

You’re 16.

“You know, in my case, I don’t think it makes a difference. You’ve been around me long enough to know that I don’t act 16. Hell, I don’t even act 18. You know I’m more mature than my biological age.”

“Yes… I agree whole-heartedly.” I said, looking up at him.

“So tell me again what the problem is…” he said, searching in my eyes for an answer. I thought of what Joe said, but right now, I felt like it didn’t matter. I bit my lip…

“Nothing.” I whispered, leaning in to kiss him again. My hands were at rest on his chest. His hand stayed on my cheek while the other went to the back of my neck; pulling me closer to him. What do I tell Joe? I thought.

****

I walked back into Joe’s room about half an hour later. He was still asleep so I decided to make him some soup again. Not long after I put it on the stove he woke up.

“Lyss?” he called, rubbing his eyes.

“I’m right here. I’m making you some soup.”

“You stayed.” He said, smiling.

“Well, I left for a little bit.” I admitted.

“Oh, where’d you go?” he asked. I hesitated and turned so my back was to him.

“I was just talking to your Mom. She’s relieved that you’re doing much better.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Here,” I said, bringing the soup over to him. I placed my hand on his forehead as he ate. “You’re not clammy anymore.”

“Nope. I just feel gross. I need to shower.”

“Mm, I thought you were starting to smell.” I teased.

“Jerk,” he said, continuing to eat. I just laughed and rested my back against the headboard of the bed.

****

The next day, Lauren, Kevin, Nick, and I were hanging out in mine and Lauren’s room. Nick and I were sitting on the couch together, his arm wrapped around my shoulder. We were telling Kevin and Lauren about yesterday. Lauren was all smiles even though before she had told me to pick Joe.

We were in the middle of a conversation when someone knocked on the door. Kevin went up to answer it and smiled and pulled the door open wide.

“Look who’s cured!” Joe exclaimed, walking into the room looking 100% healthy. He stopped in his tracks and frowned when he saw Nick and me. “What’s going on?” he asked confused.

“Um…” I said, feeling myself start to blush.

“You didn’t tell him?” Nick asked.

“I didn’t think it was the best time.” I whispered back.

“Tell me what?” Joe asked, his eyebrows pulling together.

“Melissa and I are together.” Nick said slowly.

“You told me you weren’t ready to pick!” Joe shouted glaring at me.

“I wasn’t! It just… happened!”

“Wait… when?”

“Yesterday.” I whispered.

“You weren’t really talking with my mother while I was napping were you? You were with him.”

“Yes… that’s when it happened.”

“You know… I really thought I had this in the bag. He’s 16 for Christ’s sake!”

“Joe!” I exclaimed, my eyes pleading for forgiveness.

“I have to go.” He said. Tears started to fall from my eyes and Nick pulled me into him.

“Why are you so upset?” Nick asked, stroking my hair and kissing the top of my head. “Joe’s just jealous. I should have stepped in there. He was way out of line yelling at you like that.’

“I deserved it.” I said quietly.

“No you didn’t.” he said sternly, pulling away to look at me. “Would you rather have chosen him?”

I thought about it. Being with Nick now felt right... I felt like I belonged in his arms. I shook my head.

“No, this is right.” I said. “I can feel it.”

“Are you sure?” he asked. His eyes looked sad.

“Yes.” No.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH SHIT!
Did you see that coming???? Did you? Did you?
I bet you didn't!

Leave me your thoughts!

Comment/Rate/Subscribe

~Steph <3