‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Don't Let Them Take You

Marcus walked by himself to class after breakfast. Richard and Arnold were a few steps infront of him talking hurriedly.

“Something’s definitely wrong with him,” Richard muttered, talking as quietly as he could, but Marcus could still hear.

“What do you mean?” Arnold asked, shifting his books from one arm to the other.

“Didn’t you hear him last night?” Richard raised his eyebrows incredulously, “He was crying out in his sleep.”

Arnold lowered his eyes to the ground, “Yeah I heard him.” He looked back up at Richard, “What do you think is wrong with him?”

Richard shrugged his massive shoulders and ran his spare hand through his hair, “No idea. To be honest I’ve never understood him and I don’t think I ever will.” He paused and made a face, “Not that he would want us to.”

Arnold laughed quietly as they entered the Transfiguration room. Marcus sat beside them staring resolutely at the blackboard. The dream still floated around in his mind, it was all he could see as soon as he closed his eyes. The black surrounding him. Anne high above, waiting.

Professor Davies cleared his throat and the lesson began.

“Coming to Hogsmeade after lunch?” Anne asked Marcus as they walked into the Great Hall together.

Marcus shrugged, “Okay. I hadn’t known there was a trip planned.”

Anne looked up at him and giggled, “Marcus, you can be so unobservant at times.” She laughed again as she let go of his hand and walked over to where her friends sat.

Marcus stood watching as she sat down amongst them. They laughed and teased each other as they ate. He smiled bitterly as he walked to the Slytherin table. I may be unobservant at times, he thought as he sat down but she is completely oblivious.

He continued to watch her as he ate. Completely oblivious to what I am. He dropped his food onto his plate and looked down at his fingers. They were slender and pale, just like his father’s. He had seen a picture of his father when he was younger and at Hogwarts. Marcus and he could have been twins. He continued to stare at the table and bit his lip to try and prevent the dream from entering his mind again.

But maybe she isn't completely ignorant, a small voice spoke inside of him. It was a soft voice, soothing and quiet. She knows who your parents are after all, it was almost as if this voice was comforting him, and she still stays with you Marcus. Be strong for her.

Marcus gripped the table and looked up to where she sat. Anne was watching him closely, her body rigid as if she were about to leap up and run to him. Marcus shook himself slightly and loosened his grip on the wood. Students were beginning to hurry out of the hall to change for the Hogsmeade trip.

Marcus pushed himself up and walked robotically behind the other students. He reached the dungeons before Anne could catch up to him. He quickly changed from his school robes to casual clothes and walked with the Slytherins out of the castle.

A cold wind ruffled their hair and blew their clothes as they walked towards the small village. Most of the students walked straight to The Three Broomsticks for some Butterbeer. Marcus walked past them, towards the Shrieking Shack. Students were still scared of the stories that surrounded it and hardly anyone came this way.

Marcus halted in surprise when he saw Anne leaning against a rock, waiting for him. She looked up as he approached and grabbed his hand. “Are you okay?” she asked, placing a hand on his cheek. Marcus closed his eyes unthinkingly.

The cruel laughter of the Death Eaters and his parents filled his mind instantly and he jerked back from Anne’s touch. He could faintly hear Anne call his name as he sank to the ground and covered his ears.

He could feel them clawing at his skin again, ripping him apart, reducing him to nothing in the darkness.

“Marcus!” Anne was above him again, her hand stretched out desperately.

His hand shot out to hers and their fingers touched. Marcus reached higher and grasped Anne’s hand in his.

The darkness around him shrieked and tore at his arm. “You will not go!” Voldemort cried over the bedlam.

“No!” Marcus reached out again and held Anne’s hand tightly.

“Marcus,” she was crying softly, “Please Marcus.” Her hands desperately clinging to him. “Please Marcus just look at me. Open your eyes!”

Marcus shuddered violently and clung to her. “Anne,” his whispered coarsely.

“I’m here Marcus. Just open you eyes,” her voice was strained and tight.

Marcus tightened his hold on her and forced his eyes open.

There was no darkness around him. It was daytime and they were just outside Hogsmeade. Anne stared at him wide-eyed, her hands on his cheeks. Marcus pulled her to him and kissed her ardently.

“I’m sorry Anne,” he whispered against her neck. “I didn’t…I won’t,” he paused and took a deep breath, “They’re still here Anne,” his voice shook as he spoke. “I can’t get rid of them.” He pulled away from her and stared at her, his black eyes filled with despair. “They won’t leave me alone,”

Anne stroked his hair and bit her lip to stop herself from crying. He was trying to change himself for her but there was a part of him that wouldn’t let go and it was torturing him. “Be strong for me,” she whispered.

Marcus hung his head, “And what if I can’t?” he asked.

“You will Marcus,” Anne lifted his head so that he had to look at her. Her eyes were alight with intensity. “You have to Marcus,”

“But what if they never let me go?” his voice was agonized. “I’m trying Anne to reach you, but they keep pulling me down.” His voice became distracted and his eyes glazed over as the dream came back to him again. “They tear at my skin and try to pull me apart. They won’t let me go to you Anne.” His gripped her arms tightly and pulled her close again.

Anne closed her eyes and tears spilled down her cheeks. She couldn’t even begin to imagine what he was going through. But she wanted to know, so that she could help him. “Promise me Marcus,” she kissed his cheek and wrapped her arms around his neck, “Don’t let them take you from me.”

Marcus buried his head in her hair and breathed deeply. “My light,” he whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
'Disarm' - The Smashing Pumpkins.
...I love that song :)

Yeah, so he has a few issues to work out yet....