‹ Prequel: We Can't Wake Up

All You Wish For and All You Need

Inanimate Force

They stood entwined, holding on to each other with all their strength. Anne breathed deeply to try and calm her racing heart. Marcus closed his eyes and inhaled her scent. If there was anything that could help him it would be her. He was sure of it.

Everything about him frightened Anne. She had no idea what was happening to him. Was he losing his mind? Was he becoming like his father? Like his mother? She shuddered and tightened her grip on him. All she knew was that she wanted to help him.

Arabella giggled with her other friends as they walked through the crowded streets of Hogsmeade. She actually had no idea what they were laughing about. The only thought in her mind was of Anne and Marcus. She had seen Marcus walk off by himself and she knew that he and Anne were somewhere.

She had to know what they were doing. What was it about Marcus that Anne found so intriguing? Arabella was sure that he was unstable and hiding something from everyone. There was just something about him that screamed secret!

She would find out. Arabella was determined.

“Should we go back now?” Anne spoke quietly, half hoping that he would not hear her and they could stay for longer. But then sun would soon be going down now and all the students would be walking back to the school.

Marcus had heard, but he remained silent, not wanting to return either. He sighed quietly into her hair and pulled away slightly to look at her. Anne smiled slightly up at him and brushed her hand along his cheekbone. Marcus closed his eyes at the touch. If I can hold on to the feel of her in my hands maybe I will survive the night. But he knew it wasn’t true. Nothing in this world would get him through the night without another nightmare except her being beside him.

He kissed her nose softly and held her hand tightly in his. Anne leant against him as they walked back towards the small village. Students were filing out of the little stores and walking back towards the castle.

Arabella saw them together and frowned. She could feel that Marcus wasn’t doing Anne any good. He was always messing around with her. Does he get some kind of sick satisfaction from it? She shuddered and smiled falsely at the girls she was with. They laughed together and hurried back to the school.

Anne watched them run off and smiled slightly to herself. She had lost a few friends since she and Marcus had gotten together again. But she honestly didn’t mind. If she had Marcus then everything was fine with her. She glanced up at him and caught him looking down at her.

A warm feeling bubbled in her chest and she could feel it spreading to her cheeks. She looked away again, at the ground and watched their feet step slightly out of time. His stride was so much longer than her own.

Marcus continued to watch her as they walked together. He dropped her hand and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her even closer to him. Just being with her helped. He felt as if an enormous weight was somehow lifted off his shoulders. But he knew it was still there, hovering, waiting for the moment when they would go their separate ways. He knew that it would come crashing back down then.

“Everyone back into your school robes before dinner!” Professor Pinge called out over the babble of returning students.

Marcus paused before entering the hall. He wanted to delay the moment for as long as possible. Anne waited with him and turned her head to look at him.

She opened her mouth but didn’t say anything. She didn’t know what to say.

They barely heard the annoyed sigh from the door to the hall. “Come along you two. Get inside!” Professor Pinge spoke and waved them along.

Marcus took a deep breath and let go of Anne. Nothing yet. But she was still in sight. He brushed his lips against the soft skin of her cheek and turned and walked towards the dungeons.

Anne could see him breathing deeply from where she stood. She wanted to run after him and hold him close, but he had already disappeared from sight. She spun on her heel and hurried up the stairs towards the Gryffindor common room.

As soon as he walked through the door to the dungeon it came slamming down upon him. Marcus gasped and stumbled. He had never known that something that wasn’t even a physical object could do so much damage.

He leant against the cold slimy walls and closed his eyes, hoping that no-one would walk this way and see him like this. Marcus took a deep breath and in that icy corridor he swore he could hear the high cold laughter of his father.