Just Keep Breathing

Chapter 30

The next morning I woke up refreshed, naked, and warm. Still half asleep, my body cuddled into the person holding me, wanting more of the heat on my skin. The tattooed arms wrapped tighter around my waist and pulled me as close as they could. Now content with the embrace, I tiled my head into the pillow and breathed out, relaxed and not wanting to move.

Oliver maneuvered slightly behind me and set his head in the crook of my neck, kissing the skin softly. He breathed gently into my ear and I could tell he was hoping to be able to fall back asleep. With no such luck, he nuzzled his face into my neck and left small kisses on my shoulder.

“Morning.” I mumbled into the pillow quietly, not bothering to open my eyes. Oli mumbled something incoherent into my skin and continued to pull me tighter against his body. His embrace was becoming one of my favorite things, and his comfy bed was an added bonus.

A few minutes later he lifted his head from my neck and peered down at me. I looked away from the pillow and up at him, our eyes locking for a moment before he grinned and kissed me lightly.

“Ya look gorgeous.” He said simply before letting go of my waist and rolling away from me. I whined a bit and rolled over, trying to figure out why he stopped holding me.

He was leaned over the bed, as if looking for something, but when he leaned back up he was empty handed. He had a look of confusion on his face before muttering to himself. “God dammit, where’d my boxers go?”

Despite my best attempts at holding back laugher, I began to giggle as I buried my face into his pillow. I peeked out just as he, with no shame, got out of bed fully naked and headed over towards his dresser. No matter if he was embarrassed or not, I turned about fifty shaded of red and turned away, not bothering to watch him pull on a new pair of boxers.

After slipping on yesterdays T-shirt, he walked back over to the bed and leaned over, placing a kiss on my forehead . “I’m goin’ to grab some food from the kitchen. Ya want anyhin’?”

“Bring me some water?” I asked sweetly. He nodded, placing a kiss on my cheek, and exited the room. Now it was my turn to find my clothes that had been carelessly thrown about the night before.

After finding my underwear, I picked through Oli’s closet and slipped on one of his shirts and a pair of his pajama bottoms. By the time I was dressed, he was walking back into the room with a plate in one hand and a cup of water in the other.

As he handed me the water, he smirked cutely and looked me up an down. “Ya look hot in my clothes.”

I smiled and shrugged, taking a sip out of the cup before setting it on his dresser looking at him. I was tempted to fall back into his bed and into the warm blankets, but I knew that especially after list night, I needed to get home before James woke up.

&&

After showering, putting on my own clothes, and covering up the marks on my neck, there was absolutely no evidence that I had spent the night with Oli. So when James sauntered into the kitchen the next morning there was no reason for him to look at me the way he did.

We just glared at each other and I left the kitchen, heading upstairs and back to my room. For once in my life I wished my parents were home to moderate things.

And honestly, I don’t know why I even left Oli’s house this morning. I should have just staid, that would have been much better than dealing with James. We used to get along great, hell three months ago I never minded him that much, funny how things change.

I was starting to throw random things into my purse, wanting to leave to Oli’s or Tessa’s when James knocked on my door. I sighed and walked over to my door and opened it. I would attempt to be civil at least.

“Before you get pissy and shit, just listen to me, okay?” James said and then paused, as if waiting for whether or not I would slam the door in his face.

When I didn’t, he continued, “I’m sorry I blew up at you yesterday, but I don't think you know why I’m so mad about this. Sure, I can’t say it’s just because you were with one of my friends, because I’ve been with one of yours. But my friend’s are players, Elle, if anything, he’s playing with. Which ever one.”

When he said “which ever one” he had that all knowing look on his face. He knew, and him saying that meant he wanted me to know he knew. Shit.

“Well thanks for your concern, but I’m old enough to fend for myself.” I told him, ignoring most of what he said. “He’s not playing me, we’re together, and I like him. Just accept that okay? If I get hurt it’s my own damn fault. But you and the rest of our family can’t shelter me forever.”

I spoke with full confidence in my voice. I had confidence that Oli wouldn’t play me, but then again, I’ve been wrong about things before. I just hope that this doesn’t blow up in my face or James will be able to throw a big I told you so in my face.

“Alright, alright, I’ll drop it.” James said, throwing his hands up like he was innocent. “But you’re still my sister and I’m still going to care, can you deal with that.”

I sighed and nodded before turning away and walking back into my room. After grabbing my purse and my phone, I walked past him and forced a smile, knowing that he was attempting to be nice, and I left.