Power Of The Moons.

Chapter 34

The doctor allowed Mason and me to stay in the lab with him for a few hours while he worked with making himself a cure. Mason was healed from bathing in the moon and I found that I could not stop smiling. I was so happy to be with him, and I was so happy that everyone was, for the time being, safe.

“So I have a question.” I said, “Why do the Vampires find us so ugly?”
Mason sighed, “It’s with all of us, we find them repulsive, and they find us repulsive.” Mason shrugged, “It has something to do with the virus, we see each other in different lights, and it’s not a good light.”

I thought for a moment, “They see me for who I am.” I pointed out, “They don’t find me ugly, they even called me beautiful.”

Mason frowned, “Maybe it has something to do with you being a dreamer?” He suggested, “Perhaps you have a way of penetrating the fog created by the virus.”
“Fog?” I asked confused. The doctor cleared his throat.

“I might be able to explain.” He offered. Mason motioned for him to continue, “You see when the host was and is injected with the virus, or the virus is passed on through generations, it does something with the mind. Supers see wolves as enemies, and ugly beasts that need to be put down and wolves see ugly bloodsuckers that also need to be killed. It is almost as if they are all wearing goggles and they only see what the goggles let them see. We called it a fog. Make sense?” He asked.

“Sort of.” I nodded, “What do they see humans as?” I asked.
“Well the Supers see humans as food manly, but there have been occasions when Supers find one particular human that they fancy and even marry sometimes. Wolves, well they are sort of indifferent to humans, neither food nor ally, just a lesser being in need of protecting.” I nodded my head, “So where do I come into play with all of this? I see everyone equally, Vampires look like very pale people, but not so much enemy, wolves look like humans, unless of course they change and humans? Well I see them as friends as well.”

The doctor thought a moment, “Perhaps Mason was correct in suggesting that it may have something to do with your power?” He suggested.
I sighed, “Of course it does.”
“Why do you say that?” Mason asked.

“Everything these days seem to have something to do with my power, one way or another, and I feel powerless against it.” I sighed, “I don’t even realize what I’m supposed to do anymore, I just…” I shook my head and buried my face into my hands. Masons hand rubbed my back.

“Everything will be alright Rory, I promise.” Just then, a very loud alarm went off and lights began to flash. Mason and I jumped to our feet.
“What’s going on!?” I asked above the noise, the doctor shook his head, went to the door, and looked out.

“I’m not sure!” He yelled above the noise, “Something’s not right!” Mason and I looked at each other.
“The others.” We both said and nodded.
“They must have done something!” I yelled pushing past the doctor.
“Wait!” He yelled, I turned.

“Whatever happens, keep working on the cure Doctor; we’ll take care of ourselves, thank you for everything.” I smiled and then Mason and I ran out of the lab and into the unknown.

~ ~ ~ ~

The halls were surprisingly empty; Mason and I ran blindly down the halls, keeping our ears open for anything that would give us clues as to what was going on. Then we ran into a Vampire. Mason jumped forward and pinned him to the ground, “Wait!” I yelled pulling him off, it was one of the Vampires from the group I had teamed up with. I held out my hand and pulled him up.

“What’s going on?” I asked him.
“Were getting you all out of here, our plans failed, but there is still a way for you all to escape, I’m sorry Rory, it looks as though peace isn’t going to happen after all. Get yourselves to the courtyard, you all have a fifteen minute window to get yourselves out, the others are working on freeing the others, good luck.” Then he ran off, and he was gone.

Mason and I looked at each other, “Come on Rory.” He said pulling me back the other direction. Mason held my hand and pulled me through the halls; we followed our nose to the place with the freshest air, and found the courtyard. All the wolves were packed into the courtyard nervously waiting for something to happen.

“Rory!” I heard someone yelled. I spun; Jason, Harvey, Jessie, Blue, Dave, and Damien were approaching me. I hugged Blue and Damien.
“Rory, you have a lot of explaining to do.” Jessie told me, Harvey nodded his agreement.

“I know, but now is not the time, we have fifteen minutes to get out of here before the Vampires come after us. This is our only chance of escape.” Mason quickly explained the situation without going into too much detail, as soon as he finished, the gates of the courtyard opened up.

“Everyone!” Jessie’s voiced carried like a gong through the crowd, everyone silenced, “Follow Harvey, I’ll bring up the rear!” Harvey nodded his head once, turned wolf and ran out into the open grassland beyond the gates. Everyone began to run, turning wolf as they went. Mason squeezed my hand and we both turned and ran with Jessie to bring up the rear. We were a miles out when I first sensed the Vampires.

I looked over at Mason, “This isn’t how it was supposed to go. Everything is wrong.” I felt on the brink of crying, “How did everything turn out this way?” I asked him shaking my head.

“I’m sorry Rory, but you tried. That’s all that matters.” As he ran he dipped I his head and nudged me encouragingly. “You really are red.” He said amazed. We were running at full speed and size, but I knew that we were still slower than the Vampires. I saw Damien, his strange wolf form slowing down until he was running in pace with us. Mason stared at Damien, and Jessie snorted at him and took a few paces right.
“What is it Damien?” I asked him.

“We’re going too slow.” He stated, “We will be overcome in less than twenty minutes.” Jessie moved back over.
“And what do you suggest we do about it?” Jessie asked irritated.
Damien shook his head, “I don’t know…Rory?”

I knew what he was asking, I shook my head, “Nothing yet.” I told him. Damien nodded and looked over his shoulder, I felt out in the open here in the grass. Without the trees, and rivers…. “The river!” I shouted suddenly. That was it!
“What?” They all asked at once.
“The river! There is a river around here, it lies on the border of the forest and the grassland, and we need to find it. I dreamed about it.”

Jessie nodded his head and concentrated for a moment, then all of us heard him in our minds, “Harvey, I need you to find a river, smell it out if you must, but hurry! We don’t have a lot of time.” Jessie looked over at me, “What happened in this dream of yours?” Jessie asked.

I shook my head, “It’s…not for me to share.” However, really I didn’t want to tell him because I still didn’t understand that dream. I guess when the time came I was hoping something would click in my brain, or maybe I would fall asleep again and he would simply tell me. Somehow, I knew I would not be dreaming.

“I found it!” Harvey’s voice echoed through our heads, “Shall I lead the way? It’s a few miles; we will be hard pressed to make it there before the Vampires overcome us.” Jessie told Harvey to go to the river, I watched as the pack swerved to follow the leader. I never knew that there were so many wolves in the caves until now. At least two hundred and I knew in my heart that I could never let anything happen to them.

As we neared the river the Vampires scent became stronger, and I was beginning to hear them shout orders to each other. We were running out of time and quick. Finally, as the first of the pack hit the river, they jumped over to the other side. I was shocked to see even the little ones jumping. The river had cut through the land long ago, the grassland suddenly stopped and it was a long drop to the water below, on the other side I could see exactly where I had stood with the dream wolf.

As the pack jumped it was our turn, Jessie and Mason jumped without a second thought, but Damien and I stopped at the edge. “Come on Rory!” Mason called from the other side, “You can do it.”

I looked up from the river and met his eyes, and I knew…I couldn’t go with them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait you all! I FINALLY know how I want to draw everything together and end it. Sheesh, it took me long enough, and I'm very sorry about how rough these past chapters have been, but thank you for sticking with me! = ) But i'm very sad, i haven't recieved a single banner for this story.....well not counting the wolf painting from Blue....but still.

_CORRI_