We Can Shine Like the Sun

XVI

"AVARA HAD A LITTLE LAMB, LITTLE LAMB LITTLE, LITTLE LAMB, AVARA HAD A LITTLE-"

"AVARA SHUT THE FUCK UP I CANNOT HEAR MYSELF THINK," Holly yelled at her best friend. They had just finished their set and she was trying to add up how much money she'd spent during the week.

"Well think louder," Avara suggested as they heard the bus door open and close, followed by thumping.

"Avara!" yelled Jack as he walked into the back lounge followed by Alex, "Do you really have a lamb? Can I see it?" Holly looked up from her calculator and peered over her glasses at Avara. She looked uncomfortable and a little afraid, the way Holly often did when Alex came near her. Holly frowned as she remembered what Jonathan had told her.

"Yes you can," she said, looking from Alex to Jack, "It's between two pieces of bread and covered with gravy at catering. Onwards Jack, and take Gaskarth with you. Come on, Vamonos! Don't make me start singing Dora the Explorer." Jack and Alex stared at her, momentarily stunned, but shrugged and left the bus.

"What was that about?" Holly asked, peering at Avara with curiosity.

"Nothing," Avara said without looking at Holly. Holly continued staring at Avara.

"I have to go meet Jonathan," Avara announced, hopping up and moving toward the front of the bus.

"Did you hear that Caleb might be breaking up with Mildred?" Holly asked.

"Her name is Miley," Avara corrected before frowning, "Or Molly. And why should I care?" Holly smiled and shrugged as Avara hesitated before finally leaving the bus. When she stepped off, she was greeted by someone she didn't expect to see. "I thought you went to catering."

"I'm not dense, like Jack," Alex said, "I'm not going to chase after a sandwich."

"You're loss," Avara said nervously, "Those lamb sandwiches are good." Alex ignored her.

"Let's talk somewhere more private," he said.

"No thank you, I'm meeting someone," Avara said quietly.

"Jonathan won't mind if you're a little late," Alex smirked. Avara looked around, it was getting late and there wasn't a lot of people around. She swallowed nervously.

"Okay," she said, "But make it quick okay." Alex grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her in the opposite direction to where she wanted to go. In a few minutes, they were alone between a fence and some crates.

"I want you to do something for me," he said.

"Why would I do anything for you?" She asked.

"Trust me, you'd want to," he smirked. "I'm famous remember. People listen to me. I can tell your fans whatever I want, and most of them will believe me."

"What would you tell them?" Avara asked.

"You could always wait around and find out, but I don't think you want to."

"You have no idea how lame that-" she started, but before she had the chance to move out of the way, Alex's hand had come down on her face. Hard. Avara stared at him, trying not to cry. "What do you want me to do?"

"I think you know what I want you to do."

"I'm not going to ruin Holly's chance of a relationship with Kyle, if that's what you mean." Alex raised his hand, but Avara stuck her hands out. "Okay, I'll do it." She said, just don't hit me again."

"Avara, wher- Oh there you are, what ar- Oh," Jonathan said, leaning back on the balls of his feet, "Alex what are you doing here?" Alex looked from Jonathan, and back to Avara.

“I was just talking to Avara about some business,” He said, smiling at Avara, “And now I’m going, bye Vara, remember what I said.” Jonathan looked confused.

“But,” he said, “Only Holly calls you Vara, what’s going on?” Alex glared at Jonathan.

“Mind your own business Cook,” he growled, pushing past him and going off in the direction that Jack had gone ten minutes previous.

“Ok, so are you ready to go hang out somewhere?” Jonathan asked, “Putting his arm around Avara’s shoulders and beginning to lead her away. Avara shook her head and chocked a little bit.

“I just want to be alone for a little while Jonathan, I’ll call you later or something,” she mumbled pathetically, pushing away from him and going back to her bus. When Avara entered the bus, she almost ran into Travis, who was walking towards the kitchen looking for his water bottle. She pushed past him and went straight to her bunk, ignoring Holly who was yelling through the bus to her about a banana video a fan had given her.

- † -


The next day, Holly woke up to a face full of white blonde hair. She giggled knowing it was Kyle, and pushed his shoulders with her hands, making him fall from her bunk with a thud.

“What the?” She heard Harlee mumble, “Kyle what are you doing on my floor?” She heard Kyle sit up and make a random noise before he answered her.

“Your lead singer pushed me out of her bunk,” he yawned, “now I’m going back in, and pushing her back before I go back to sleep.” Harlee laughed and then closed her curtain again, obviously going back to sleep. A few seconds later, the curtain to Holly’s bunk fluttered open, and Kyle climbed back in.

“Morning sleepyhead,” Holly giggled. Kyle chuckled and wrapped his arms around her waist, before pushing his face into the crook of her neck. “Sorry for the rude awakening my love, but I want you to be my breakfast date.” Kyle groaned at her and pulled his head back to look at her.

“Can you see me?” He asked. Holly frowned, she was confused.

“What the hell type of question is that?” she asked.

“Well,” Kyle said, “your not wearing your glasses, and I just wondered if my face was blurry or something, anyway, come on, let’s go get something to eat, now that you speak of food, I’m starving?” Kyle climbed out of Holly’s bunk, and felt around the bottom of her bunk for his shirt and shorts, before pulling them on. Holly on the other hand had to find clothes, get dressed in said clothes and applied her make-up. “Holly, someone’s at the door,” Kyle called through the bus from almost inside the kitchen fridge.

“Well answer it,” Holly replied, “duh.” She heard Kyle chuckle, and then she heard him open up the bus door.

“What do you want?” He was saying, “I don’t think anyone here likes you.” Holly was curious, so with my side of her face covered in make-up, she wonder to the door of the bus to see who it was. Kyle was right, no one here liked him.

“Hello Alex,” she said slowly, “What do you want?” Alex chuckled humourlessly, and pushed past Holly and Kyle and onto the bus. “Oi,” Holly exclaimed, “What the hell are you doing?”

“I’m looking for Vara,” Alex said, “where is she?” Holly saw red... And green. It wasn't supposed to be christmas, so it wasn't a good sighting, she was angry that Alex was calling Avara; Vara, and she wasn’t sure why she was jealous, but she was.

“Get out of my bus,” Holly demanded.

“Well,” Alex started, “If Avara was awake right now, she’d know that she needs to hurry up and do something for me before it’s too late.” Holly could hear the double meaning in that one sentence, and was about to comment on it before Avara shot out of her bunk, and into Tadem’s.

"You have no idea how lame that-" Holly started, but she was cut off by Alex.

"So Vara, I have a show this afternoon," he called.

"Why would Avara care if you have a show today? I'm mean, we all have shows today," Holly said, puzzled.

"Avara knows why she cares if I have a show," Alex said.

"I don't get it," Holly frowned.

"Soon Holly, soon," he said before departing.

"AVARA," Holly yelled, pulling aside the curtain of Tadem's bunk.

"Yessum," Avara smiled innocently.

"Wanna tell us what that was about?"

"Not really," Avara said. "I have to go and met....Jonathan....somewhere....that isn't here," she said, climbing out of Tadem's bunk.

"Avara," Holly said.

"Yes?"

"You're still in your pyjamas." Avara looked down at what she was wearing and chuckled nervously.

"Right," she said, going into the back lounge. Holly walked over to where Kyle was now sitting on the kitchen bench. She leant into his knees and put her head against Kyle's stomach and sighed, closing her eyes.

"Have I done something wrong Kyle?" She mumbled pathetically, "I don't think I have." Kyle wrapped his arms around Holly, and slid of the bench, holding her to him snuggly.

"I don't know Holly," he whispered into her hair, "but I think you may want to go talk to Gaskarth," he said, "I'll come with you," he laughed, seeing the look of sudden panic on her face. Holly sighed and grasped his hand, dragging him from the bus and into the early morning sunshine. "Where are we going?" He asked.

"To find my stalker," she replied, pulling him along behind her towards catering. When they reached catering they found a fair few people from bands. Travis and Danny from We The Kings. Holly didn't know why, but she never saw the other two boys from that band. Kent, Austin and Marc were there together. Caleb was walking in from another direction, he smiled and began walking over. Katy Perry, Julliette Simms, The Maine, Nick Santino, Jeremy and Hayley from Paramore and then she spotted the table she was looking for just as Caleb stopped in front of her.

"What are you guys doing?" He asked.

"Holly's going to question Alex Gaskarth about his chat with Avara this morning," Kyle informed him. He had his arm held out to the side of him to stop Holly, who was sending death glares at the All Time Low table, from charging at Alex.

"Uh," said Caleb, scratching the back of his head, "I'm not sure you want to do that."

"Why not?" Holly snapped, switching her gaze from Alex to Caleb. Caleb took a step back.

"Jonathan's already been there, and he got nothing. Whatever they were talking about, well they aren't telling anybody," Caleb told her.

"Yes, but Jonathan is Jonathan. I....am Holly." Holly looked toward Alex again to see him smirking at her.

"Yeh well," Caleb said, somewhat awkwardly, "He likes her a lot, so he was freaking pissed!" Before Caleb and Kyle let Holly do anything, the four boys left the catering tent.

- † -


"Hey, I was wondering when you'd show up," Jonathan smiled when he saw Avara. "Are you blushing?"

"What?" Avara said, stopping dead five feet away from Jonathan and slapping her hands to her cheeks. Jonathan frowned and walked toward her, grabbing her hands and pulling them away from her face.

"Your cheek is pink," he said, touching her face lightly. "Is that a finger mark!" He almost yelled, causing Avara to back up. His expression had changed from kind and sensitive, to furious. "Oh my god!"

"It's not what you think." Avara cut him off.

"Everyone always says that. It's always exactly what people think." He suddenly walked away from her and pulled his phone out, but he was too far away for Avara to hear what he was saying, until she heard something that made her stomach flip.

"GASKARTH!" she heard Holly scream from the catering tent twenty metres away. Avara took off at a run in the completely opposite direction, ignoring Jonathan calling her name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sunburn!