Talking To The Wall

011: Out of Trouble or Waiting for It

Ever since then, the two had started going on dates and simple but romantic dates. Neither of them complained that McDonald’s was too crowded or too loud whenever a small group of friends had a birthday party there. They would laugh among themselves and hold hands while they sipped away their Coca~Cola. They would catch a few eyes staring at them, maybe out of familiarity or maybe simply at their romance. Either way, they liked the attention because it symbolized that they were good enough to be noticed as this—as a couple.

It had been endless smiles and laughter for Mikayla, too, and she could not imagine a better man other than Ryder to spend her lazy afternoons with. Their kisses flowed easily now, and neither of them have seen or heard from Leo. Mikayla was a bit suspicious about that but decided to let it go. When you are given a blessing, you are not supposed to ask why it was sent. Right?

Her brother, visited sometimes with worriment etched on his face, but it usually faded once she started a conversation with him. He would leave in good spirits, but it was the same thing the next time he visited. As hard as Mikayla tried to pry it out of him, Danny would only change the topic and even ask about Ryder, knowing that his younger sister would like to talk about him instead. For at least two hours, she would talk about him, her boyfriend of only two weeks. “Things are wonderful, Danny,” she would say, clasping her hands together and swirled around her kitchen filled with the smell of coffee. “He takes me to the park and restaurants and stuff like that. He’s the best!”

“Mikayla, I think…” This has happened before, too. Danny would begin to say something but quickly dismiss the topic once she listened. “No, never mind.”

“I think I might marry him,” Mikayla whispered, and watched her brother’s eyes widen in surprise.

“W-what?”

“I’m kidding! You should’ve have seen the look on your face!” She laughed and pointed at him but he only chuckled at her humor.

“Oh, come on, I was only kidding!” She giggled like a little girl and nudged him when he made his way to the door. ”Hey, you’re not mad, are you?” He said he wasn’t but asked if she was already having thoughts about marriage. “Oh, well… I think it’s possible, but I just don’t think it’s gonna happen soon. You know?”

Danny said nothing more and kissed her on the forehead. “Alright, well… I’m going to visit again sometime this week—“

“Yes, like you’ve been doing lately for the past two weeks, going on three weeks now,” she said and raised a brow at him. “Are you sure you’re all right? You’re like a vulture lately.”

“No, nothing. I just have a lot of free time nowadays, so I thought I’d come see my little sister.” Then he pouted childishly. “What? An older brother can’t do that?”

“Oh, of course, you can.”

“Wait, before I go,” he said quickly as he opened the door. “Be careful, alright?”

“Yes, of course!”

Taking a moment to see if her words were sincere, he saw the smile in her eyes and was finally satisfied. When he reached the stairs, Danny’s strides were anxious and impatient. Fishing out his cell phone from his pocket, he spoke to someone briefly and then hung up in less than a minute. He was in such a hurry that he had bumped hard into someone on his way out but apologized twice, and finally left the building.

The man Danny had bumped into looked outraged by the impact and took out his phone from his coat pocket. Holding down a button, he then brought it to his ear and said, “We’re in.”