Where's My Happily Ever After?

A PhD In Asshole-ism

I don’t know how much time passed. I don’t remember much of those moments. All I remembered was crying as I was taken out of my room and out of Edwin’s arms. I remember him whispering that we’d all be okay and that he’d love me. I remember Nathaniel holding Quinn back as she screamed profanity at the doctors leading me to a secluded room. I distinctly remember the phrase: “What gives you assholes the right to say she has to be alone? A fucking PhD?”

Then everything got blurry. All I remember was them telling me to stop crying. I heard plenty of encouraging words like “You’re doing great” and “Keep it up, Jade”. I didn’t take to heart anything that I was hearing, but they insisted on bantering nonstop. If I hadn’t been so utterly terrified, I would have been beyond annoyed. The whole time I was praying that the baby would be born at least before I stabbed myself to get away from the fright I was drowning in.


“Jade, baby, I love you so much. You know that, right? Please let me know that I’m not talking to myself here. I love you, baby.”

To show him that I was listening, I attempted to groan. It came out more as a nearly inaudible whimper, but I think he heard it because I heard him mumble something to me, though I couldn’t focus enough to listen to him. There was only one thing on my mind.

“How is our baby?” I asked, forcing my eyes open. I saw Edwin lying in bed beside me, his face still twisted up from the turmoil of what the day had held for us.

“He’s doing...okay. But you have to realize that he was born so premature that he needs a lot of extra care for a while. If he can survive past infancy, he should be a normal vampire for the rest of his life. But you’re going to hate me by the time he’s a toddler.”

“I doubt that.”

“I don’t. I’m going to smother you so much and you’ll get sick of it fast. I know it.”

I sighed, not liking this conversation. “I love you. Can we go see him?”

“Are you sure you’re up to it?” He kissed my lips feverishly and it was almost as though he was trying to change my course of thought.

“Edwin, I want to see my baby boy. You probably already got to.”

He shook his head. “No, I didn’t. I’ve been watching over you since you came out of that room. If you want to see him we can. Monique wants to come, though. She’s waiting in the lobby with Quinn and Nathan.” I nodded softly and gripped his hand. He took my silent plea and helped me to my feet and into a wheelchair. I protested, but he would hear none of it.

“Manny, come on, honey,” I called weakly. Quinn released a breath that she had probably been holding for a few hours.

“Hi, best friend.”

I smiled. “Hey, Quinn.”

Monique skipped up to us and sat gingerly on my lap. I bit back a groan of pain and held her close as we burdened poor Edwin with pushing us. He didn’t complain, but I did hear him mutter to Manny to be careful with me. I told him to shush up and I’m sure he rolled his eyes, but I didn’t care because my eyes caught something. I rose gingerly to my feet and helped Monique stand up beside me. Edwin’s eyes followed mine and he cringed.

“Why does he have all of those tubes? He’s worse than any of the other babies in there!” I cried, demanding an answer from the passing by nurse.

“It’s that or you could let him die,” she muttered, smacking me away as she took her leave of us.

I couldn’t help but cry when I saw his eyes—his daddy’s eyes, which should have been gorgeous—full of terror and pain that an innocent child should not ever have to know. He was crying and he looked like he’d just gotten out of the car wreck I had narrowly escaped from dying in. He looked like I would have if I had been a human.

“Eddie, my baby...”

“Honey...”

“Mommy, why is Avery so quiet?” Monique asked me innocently, tugging on my hand.

“What?” I barked, my eyes darting back to my baby. Sure enough he was lying still. “Oh my God! Edwin! Do something!” I screamed, clinging to him. “He’s not moving! He’s not moving!”