Bite Me

I Can See Clearly Now

I climbed outside and sat down on the fire escape. Pete sat down beside me. It felt like old times. I liked it.

“How’s Brendon?” Pete asked breaking the silence between us.

“He’s doing better. He woke up and I know he will be weak and sore for a day or two but I think he will heal.” I said.

“Good. I brought some clothes for him in that bag there.” He said turning around and throwing a bag through my window.

“Thanks. I know he will appreciate that. He’s going to stay here until he gets well and can find him a place to live now.” I said.

It was getting chilly out. I started to shiver because I was in a tank top and pajama bottoms. I started to get up and go inside to get a coat but Pete stopped me.

“Here.” He said taking his hoodie off and handing it to me. I can tell you are cold and I don’t get cold so you can have it.” He said.

“Thanks.” I said smiling. Yes, my old times were coming back. Why now? Why not a month and a half ago? He waits for when I am about to leave for him to act this way again towards me.

“Amanda, I need to tell you some things.” Pete started to say.

“I do too.” I said.

“Well you can go first then.” Pete said being the gentleman.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Pete said gazing at me in the moonlight. It was a pretty moonlight I might add.

“Ok. Here goes. Pete, I’m leaving L.A. for awhile.” I said looking away from him.

“What, when?” He asked me.

“I’m leaving Saturday after Erelin’s graduation party.” I said still looking away.

“Amanda, look at me.” He said all calm but with hurt in his eyes as I turned to look at him.

“Pete I just have to do this.” I said.

“What about your friends? You are just going to leave them. And you’re slaying, what about that? Beckett knows your secret now he could come after them.” Pete said.

“I know all this. They will be fine and if there is trouble all they have to do is call. I will be on the next flight back. Beckett can’t come after me if he doesn’t know where I am.” I responded watching Pete.

“What about Jason. You are just going to leave him too?” Pete said confused as to why I am leaving.

“I’m breaking up with him at the party. He is a nice guy but I am not the girl for him. I enjoy his company and we have fun but we are better off as friends.” I said waiting for Pete to jump in and tell me not to go.

“I thought you guys were going strong.” Pete said.

“I guess you thought wrong. I have nothing here.” I said looking down.

“You have your friends and besides where are you heading?” Pete asked.

“I don’t know yet. I know I’m not going to Florida just yet. I can’t go back there right now.” I said.

“What if I want you to stay?” Pete said grabbing my hand.

Why didn’t he say this sooner? Why is he trying to get me to stay? Isn’t this what I wanted him to say all along? No, it is too late now. My mind is set but this revelation may help in some way.

“Pete you are the reason I am leaving. My heart still loves you. I can’t turn off my feelings. I know we aren’t to be together and it kills me. I can’t slay and think of you. You cloud my mind and judgment. I know you are scared of hurting me. You have showed me in your dreams. I thought us not being around each other would help but it hasn’t.” I said getting up.

“Here’s your hoodie back.” I said starting to take it off.

“No. Keep it. I gave it to you.” Pete said getting up as well. “You know I dreamed of killing you and hurting you?” Pete asked grabbing my arm.

“Yes. I know that’s why you push me away now. Somehow we connect Pete and we always will.” I said staring at him.

“How can I make you stay?” Pete said trying to pull me close to him.

“Don’t do this Pete. Not now.” I said backing away.

“Amanda. I love you. I’m just sorry I haven’t said it sooner. Now I have pushed you away for good?” Pete asked me with those beautiful eyes I fell in love with.

“Are you coming to Erelin’s party?” I asked changing the subject.

“Why so I can tell you goodbye and watch you walk out of my life for good?” He said hurt.

“I don’t want it to be like this Pete. I am sorry. What was it you wanted to tell me earlier?” I asked.

“It doesn’t matter now, does it?” He said starting to walk down the steps.

“Pete. Seriously I want to know. Please don’t leave without telling me.” I begged him.
Pete walked back over to me. His eyes changed back into that scary vampire mode I remembered when he tried to strangle me when I snuck in the first time to his place. I backed up against the window.

“I will tell you. I will even show you. Maybe it will give you the incentive to hate me now as well. I was going to be honest with you and come clean. Hoping you could forgive me. But if it helps you to move on by being upset then this works. Remember that night of your first date with Jason and you asked me what happened to my hand?” Pete said scaring me.

“Yes.” I said looking in his eyes. He was standing in front of me. Pete then pulled me close to him.

“I hurt it over you. I ran it through a glass mirror.” Pete said. “I realized seeing you with Jason how much I have screwed up on.” He added.

Then Pete pulled me tighter and I let him. He began to kiss me and I could feel his fangs were out. Was he going to bite me? Then what happened next wasn’t a bite but I saw that night I asked about his hand. I had a memory of me and Pete having sex and he blocked it out that night. That was why I felt a little fuzzy before Jason came over. Then I saw everything from Pete’s memory of us having sex and him biting me to erase it the night before when it actually happened.

I pulled away from Pete. “You told me you loved me then took it back? You messed with my mind? How could you Pete? So you have dreams. I got that but you let me have sex with you and erased it? What else have you erased from my memory? Your nightmares are no excuse to do what you did. You bit me too and now I have a scar from it. Just get out of here!” I said pushing Pete. “I loved you. I gave you all of me.” I said starting to cry.

“Well now you can leave knowing the truth that I loved you but I needed to protect you from me. Go ahead and hate me now if you want.” Pete said flashing his fangs for me to realize what he is. Then he vanished by jumping from the escape and disappearing into the night.
I just sat against the wall processing everything. Now I understood everything clearly. He hurt me but I still love him. Most of all I know he really does love me now. What do I do now?