Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Act I, Scene VII

I glanced at Romeo from the corner of my eye as Mom began class. It was cute, the way his hair fell in his eyes like that and---whoa! A little much there, Juliet?

But it’s oh-so true. I’m just a love-struck college student who can’t stop staring at the object of her affection who just so happens to be in a lot of her classes and---wait! Did I actually just say lovestruck?!

I guess it really has hit me pretty hard. Love, of all things. And I’m still on my first day at college! It’s even one of the ‘love at first sight’ occasions, because he’s been on my mind all day, even before I knew he was Romeo. Oh, if I could have him, I really would no longer be a Capula. I’d technically be a Davis, but still.

“Alright, since we’re all here---” Mom jolted me from my thoughts, and I realized she’d just finished role call. “---let’s all do a bit of drama! Acting, of course. What shall we do first?”

I was about to say Romeo and Juliet, when I realized that it could be a little strange, with Romeo sitting by Juliet.

“No one? Well, let’s just talk about a few, then. What’s a good play you’ve seen, or heard of?”

“Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night.” I said, settling for that rather than Romeo and Juliet.

“Good, thank you dear. But I know that Romeo and Juliet has been your favorite since you were old enough to read, even though you couldn’t understand it when you were five.”

Cue ‘It’s time for your mother to embarrass you’ hour. Hours.

“It’s very well written,” a voice agreed, and my heart leapt because it just had to be Romeo who spoke up. Have I mentioned how I love the sound of his voice? Maybe. I can’t remember right now, and those eyes of his! This is where I’d cue the ‘obsessive fan-girl swoon.’

Romeo’s Point of View

I noticed Juliet zoning out, her blue eyes staring out the window and her hair falling in beautiful waves over her shoulders and upper back…. I felt an insane urge just to touch it, to see if it was as soft as it looked. I mentally shook myself for that. But she is beautiful…in every way. To me, at least.

Knock it off, Romeo! You’re being absolutely ridiculous…aren’t I?

Great. I’m so talking to myself. Is that a good sign? Is there any way she could love a guy who talks to himself nonstop about the girl he’s in love with and can’t get her off of his mind and---oh, crud. I’m too young for the whole love thing, right? Right?! I really don’t know anymore…but I think I might actually…really…AH! I can’t even say it without my heart catching on fire! But I shouldn’t force myself to say anything…last time I did that I ended up, rather than admitting it to myself, practically shouting it out for my whole AP Calculus class to hear…umm…oops?

I really do love that girl, though.

OH MY GOD!

I just admitted it to myself!!! I really did! Oh, great, now I’m all giddy with excitement and I can’t even understand the words that Professor Capula’s saying! Love, on the first day of college.

Oh, crap! What if she has a boyfriend? What if they’re already engaged? What if she’s married?! Wait, I don’t see a ring…maybe she’s just not wearing it!

Romeo, STOP…IT. You’re just going to embarrass yourself…maybe she can read minds and is secretly laughing at you! Or maybe she’s controlling your mind so you’ll think what you don’t really want to keep at the front of your mind and she can know how you feel---oh my WORD! How stupid am I? I’m absolutely pathetic!

Love makes a fool out of men. It’s officially a proven fact.

Juliet’s Point of View

“So, anyway, class, every year we do a play.” Mom said at the end of the hour. “And we’ll have that decided by the end of the week, so our try-outs will be Friday and Saturday. We’ll let you know by then what play it will be. Now, I’ll let you go…what is it, ten minutes early? Have a good day! And a good first week!”

“Bye, Mom!” I said as I went by, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you later!”

“Have fun, Juliet! Oh, you as well, Romeo!”

“Oh, thank you Professor Capula, I will!” Romeo said, and I realized he was walking right beside me. Newsflash: hide the blush of embarrassment before he looks at me!

Phew, I managed to do just that.

“So…are both Professor Davis’ your parents?” I tried conversationally, walking side by side with Romeo.

“Yup,” he stated simply, then, “Hey, let’s stop here at the campus store and grab something to drink.”

“Oh, okay.”

We went in and the small bell jingled. I debated---Dr. Pepper or Mountain Dew Voltage…I settled on the Dew. I also arrived back up at the counter at the same time as Romeo, who held a Pepsi in his hand. He gave me a crooked grin, and as soon as he looked away I blushed a deep scarlet.

“What can I getcha? A Pepsi? Okay, that’s---” the girl behind the counter began to ring it up when he interrupted.

“And her Mountain Dew, too.”

“Wha---” I began.

“Oh! Okay, that’s two dollars and eighty-nine cents, with your student discount. Three dollars? Here you go, eleven cents is your change!”

“Thanks,” he flashed her a smile and took the change, just to drop it into the donations jar, and we left.

“How much do I owe you?” I asked, hiding my surprise slash anger.

“Nothing.”

“What?!”

“You don’t owe me anything,” he flashed his winning smile again, and continued, “and if I’d wanted you to pay me back, I would’ve let you buy your own.”

“Come on! I have money!” I whined, flattered.

“Nope.”

“But---”

“No buts! I just felt like it, okay? I can’t do anything nice for a pretty girl every now and then?”

Romeo’s Point of View

Oh, damn! I seriously did say that, didn’t I? Oh no! Wait, what’s that?!

She’s blushing?!

Wait, she’s blushing?!

YES!!! Maybe, just maybe…
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope the update's satisfactory...comments are appreciated, as always!

Might be a bit short, so I'm sorry. It's my THIRD thing today, so THERE!

Of course, one was short and a first chapter, the other seemed shorter and was on Raya, and the third is RIGHT HERE. xP

Hope you enjoy, love all 35 readers and 14 subscribers for EVER!

<3333 Amanda