Annabel Lee

I Gotta Get My Game Down Tight

Annabel heard the door open, signaling that her dad was home. She rushed down the stairs toask beg for his permission to join the Golf team. She silently prayed that he would say yes, without question.

“Hey Annabel, how was your day?”

“It was okay.”

“Dad,” she paused looking up at him timidly, “I want to sign up for the golf team at school and wanted to know if it was okay.”

“Why do you want to join the golf team all of a sudden?”

“Well, they are still needing players, and I have nothing to do in the afternoons now, since I’m not allowed to see Zack…” she trailed off looking at the ground.

“Okay, honey,” he gently pulled his daughter’s chin up so he could look into her eyes, “if that’s what you want to do then go ahead. I suppose it would look pretty good on all your college applications, too, huh?”

“Thanks, Daddy! And yeah, you’re right. It would look great on my college apps.”

Annabel hugged her dad as hard as she could, thanking him one more time before she ran up stairs to call Zacky. Realizing she didn’t have her phone she plopped herself onto her bed, sighing loudly. With nothing to do, she went to sleep, dreaming of the love of her life.

Mrs. Winters was driving too slow, once again. “Mom, can you hurry up, please.” Annabel begged.

“We’re almost there, calm down Annabel.”

“But Mom, you know I want to see Zacky. Can’t just go a little bit faster?”

“Oh quit being so dramatic, Ann.”

Annabel cringed. She hated when her mother called her Ann. It made her feel like an old lady.

“Mom, remember that you don’t have to pick me up until five today, okay?”

“Yes, Annabel, I’m well aware of what time I’m picking you up.”

“Okay mom. God, I was just checking.” She rolled her eyes, getting out of the car. “Bye, mom. Love you.”

“Bye, Ann,” her mother giggled at her, “see you this after noon. AT FIVE!”

Zack spotted Annabel as she was coming towards the school’s entrance. “Hey Jimmy, I’m going to talk to Annabel. You comin’?”

“Yeah, man. I’ll be there in a minute.”

Zacky walked up behind Annabel, putting his arms around her, kissing her softly on the cheek. She smiled, turning to face him.

“Well hello there Mr. Baker. You seem happy this morning.”

“I’m very happy this morning, but you could make me even happier,” He smiled at her.

“Really, now? Well what can I do to make you happier?” She whispered into his ear so low he could barely hear her.

Breath hitching in his throat, Zacky struggled to keep his excitement under control. “Well, for starters, you can tell me whether you’ll be joining me this afternoon or if I’m on my own.”

“Don’t you worry, I’ll be there. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She batted her eyelashes, looking up seductively at him.

“Annabel, you have absolutely no idea what you do to me. I don’t know how long I’m going to be able to not see you outside of school.”

“I know, Zacky,” she placed her hand into his, “I don’t know how long I’ll be able to do it either.”

Zacky waited for Annabel by her locker. She saw him standing there and picked up her pace. He held his hand out for her to take and she did so without even thinking about it. They were hopeful as they walked to towards the school’s driving range where they would learn the basics about golf. Annabel couldn’t help but worry slightly about how this whole thing would work out, but she would get through it. Nothing she had to do would be as hard as having to live without Zacky in her life. She was jerked from her thoughts abruptly by Coach Russo’s gravely voice.

“Well, Team, it looks like we have two more members joining us today. Welcome Zachary and Annabel. I hope you’re here to learn about the game of golf and to be productive team participants?” he questioned, unsure of their motives.

“Oh yes sir, Coach Russo. With baseball season over, I’m hoping to focus on learning a new sport to occupy my time. I’m serious about learning a new sport.” Zacky smiled up at the Coach hoping he wasn’t as transparent as he sounded.

“Well, first things first; you both will need to come to golf practice dressed properly. No more torn jeans and t-shirts. Golf is a gentlemen’s sport and you will be expected to dress accordingly. Same goes for the girls, Annabel. You can’t wear sandals or heels on the green.”

“Okay Mr. Russo” Annabel answered with a smile though she had no idea what exactly the “green” was.

“It’s Coach Russo while we’re out here, please. And here’s a list of appropriate attire, a schedule of practices and games, as well as this contract that both you and you’re parents will have to sign, promising to keep your grades up and not miss any practice or tournaments.” He handed them each a stack of paper work, “and I expect those to be returned on Thursday. We’ll let you’re clothes slide today, but I expect you to be dressed for the next practice. If you are not in proper clothing, you will be sent home-once. If I have to send you home a second time, you’re off the team.”

Zacky and Annabel nodded their heads in understanding, both silently promising not to mess this up. They watched from the sidelines trying to get a feel for this whole golf thing, mentally prepping themselves for their first real practice on Thursday. Zacky was quiet, secretly praying that this worked as well in real life as it had in his head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: You're Not In On The Joke by Cobra Starship

I'm trying to get some ideas for this story. I've hit a serious case of writer's block. It's killing me here. I know where I want to "end up", just don't know how to get there. Any ideas would be very welcomed =D