Status: Sequel is out! :D

Second Heartbeat

Don't Lie

I sighed deeply as I ran my hands through my brown hair.

My palms were sweaty, and Emily's orders were not helping the situation at all. I felt like my heart was pounding a hammer against my chest.

I slowly reached out with my right hand, almost reaching its destination.

I closed my eyes shut tightly.

I didn't want to see, as if it made any sense what so ever.

"Hurry up," Emily whined.

I ignored her statement. I didn't want to rush this, even though I couldn't even see his face right now.

I slowly balled my hand into a fist, and then I knocked lightly on the door. No answer came from the door, and I frowned slightly.

"Knock louder?" Emily said irritated. I sighed again.

I wasn't ready for this, not at all.

I knocked on the door, only slightly harder.

I heard Emily groaned loudly, and there still was no answer from the door.

"Goddamn it, Emma!" Emily screamed.

She stomped right up to the door, and she pounded her tiny fists at the door. I could hear Charles yelling for her to stop. I smiled a bit. Her hormones were already kicking in not even a month in.

The door slammed open, and a very angry Charles was there. He had a glare stuck on his face as he looked down at Emily.

He didn't even notice me there.

Now if I had been in Emily's position, I'd be running away right about now. Charles was definitely a lot bigger than both of us, probably put together too, and I wasn't about to challenge him, especially since he was so angry.

But Emily was a hell of a lot different than me, especially with her newly acquired woman powers. Instead, she glared right back at him with her hands at her hips.

"Look, you, you're gonna talk to my sister without any screaming, yelling, or hitting. If you dare do any of the above, I will not hesitate to knock you out," Emily said.

I really liked hormonal Emily right now.

Charles stared at her wide-eyed.

He probably had no clue what to do right about now. Usually his appearance would scare people off, before they had the chance to even open their mouth.

Not that this wasn't very entertaining, but I had to stop them.

Either Emily was really gonna try to kick his ass or Charles would get utterly pissed off and shut the door on her face. Both options were out of the question right now.

"Emily, you can quit it now. He answered the door," I said quietly.

Both of them looked at me.

I was immediately scared. Not because of Charles, because of Emily's hard glare.

"Emma," Charles breathed out. "Emma," Emily said coldly. I shook.

Maybe it was because of the cold hallway, and I was wearing a tank top and sweats. Or maybe it was Emily actually scaring me right now.

I, honestly, didn't want to know which one it was right now. Mostly, because I didn't want it to be that I was afraid of the short girl in front of me.

"Charles, we need to talk," I said. He nodded slowly.

I could see the irritation in Emily's eyes.

"Alone," I added. Emily shook her head, but she walked over to the elevator.

"I'll be in the car," she muttered, walking in.

I stared at Charles.

He wasn't moving an inch, and his eyes were staring down at the ground. I could see his chest rising and falling, and I held my breath in.

"Emma, let's just get this over with," he said softly.

I nodded as I walked over to him. I stopped in front of him. He was mumbling under his breath, and I didn't like how he looked at all.

He looked so... sad, so very sad.

His eyes were just showing me his feelings. The bright blue eyes weren't shining their usual glimmer, and his eyes had purple sags underneath them.

I frowned slightly. This was all because of me. I was the horrible person now. I was the reason why he was depressed, hurt.

"Charles," I whispered. He shook his head.

"Please, just go in first." He said. I nodded, walking passed him.

The room was dark, and the curtains were closed. The lights weren't on, and I got an eerie feeling as I walked in. I could hear Charles' usually soft steps pounding. I held my breath as I felt him in back of me.

"Emma," he breathed out. I let go of the air inside my chest. I turned around, facing his hard chest.

"Emma, you have no idea how hard it was for me just to go one day without you here, by me." He said. I looked up at him. Hurt, was written all over his face.

"Emma," he whispered. His soft lips were trembling.

"Charles, I am so sorry." I whispered. I touched his chest with my hand, laying it there. I could feel his heart pounding against my hand. I smiled softly.

This is what I liked about him. He was always so warm. The heat from his chest warmed my cold hand.

"Sorry about what?" "About everything, I shouldn't have said those things," I said. I placed another hand on his chest.

"No, I should be sorry. You were right; I do need to get over this. I should've realized how hard it would've been for you to leave them." He said. "But I-" He cut me off.

"Emma, all I want is you. I don't care if you flirt with any other guys, just as long as you come home to me," Charles said. He slowly brought his hand up to my head.

I slowly rested my head on his chest. I sighed. This is what I wanted, needed. Like any drug, I needed Charles and his warmth. He was all my wishes in one man.

"Emma, please just tell me that you love me." He whispered.

I nearly choked on my air, but I held it in. I could feel the tears coming to my eyes. The kind of tears that came out, when you held in your coughing.

"I don't think I can right now," I said. He sighed deeply, and he let go of me.

I sighed in discontent. I wanted him to comfort me right now, even though he was hurting the most. I was being selfish right now.

"I was afraid of this," he murmured. "Afraid of what?" I asked afraid.

What was he talking about? What was he going to do?

"I didn't want to do this, Emma. I wanted us to have our happily ever after," he said slowly. I shook my head.

"No," I whispered.

He just ignored my comment.

"I wanted to stay with you forever and ever. I wanted to hold you in my arms any chance I could. I wanted to be able to kiss whenever I felt like it. I wanted you to love me as much I love you." He said.

I was, now, shaking my head frantically by now. I didn't want to hear this. I didn't want to listen to his words.

"Emma, I don't think we should do this to ourselves anymore," he said. I shook my head again.

"Do what?" I asked loudly.

"Lie to ourselves," he whispered.

His bright blue eyes were staring at me hard. So hard that I wanted to look away.

"I'm not lying," I whispered. He shook his head.

"Yes, you are. We both are. I keep telling myself that you'll come around. That you'll love me soon, maybe the next day or so." He said. "I will!" I yelled.

He shook his head again.

"Emma, you won't!" He yelled.

I felt my body involuntarily shake. He had never used that kind of anger towards me. Even when we were yelling at the beach, he showed some signs of holding back. Now, he wasn't at all.

"Yes, I will." I said calmly. He shook his head.

"Please don't make me believe you," he whispered. "Charles," I whimpered. "Emma, as much as I love you, and as much as my heart is telling me to stay, I can't."

I felt the tears running down my cheeks.

"Don't leave me," I whispered. "Emma, I don't want to leave you," he whispered. "Then don't, stay with me," I said.

I pressed my body against his. His warmth was flooding my body. I needed him. I needed him by my side. I needed him to tell me that he loved me. I needed him.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's the update. This is one of the chapters that I actually like.