My Summer Love Story

"The Cutest Worm"

Liz's Pov

I feel miserable right now. Not only am I still trying to fend off the unwanted tears but I have a major head ache that is making my temple swell with pain. I rub it in small circles for a minute but when that dosen't do anything I try and ignore it, focusing on the trail instead.

It's well past nine now but there's nothing we can do since we don't know the way back. It was stupid to go off trail and I know it, I just wanted Olive back safe before the counselors found out. Which won't happen since Raine and Laiken will be back some time after twelve and it's nearing eleven now.

Cade's flashlight shines brightly through the dark forest from where he is leading us and I silently welcome the light. No longer having to walk without knowing where I am going is a fantastic thing. And whoever invented the flash light needs a good kiss on their shiny bald heads. Crap, what if they aren't bald? Fine. They just need a sloppy kiss on their forehead then. That will work

The trudge through the woods is getting harder with every step and I can hear everyone's labored breathing and slow footsteps. Jackie falls to the back of the group with me and I can see a gleam of sweat on her forehead from the flashlight beam.

"I'm really sorry Jackie." I sigh. "It wasn't meant to go this far. It was so stupid of me to think that we could actually find her by ourselves."
"Hey, it's fine. It was all of our faults. We should have just gone for the counselors in the first place, you know?"
"Yeah. Hey, do you think she's okay?"
"Olive?" I nod. "I hope so. I don't know what we'll do if she's not." She glances at my crest fallen face and nudges my arm.
"I'm kidding! She's probably back at the cabin right now having a big laugh at our expense." We laugh and I can just imagine her now. Warm, dry, and cozy eating her care package on her bed imagining us out looking for her. Sounds like Olive to me.

"So what should we do now then, go back?" I say.
Jackie shakes her head. " I don't know. Should we keep looking for a little bit just in case? It's not like we can find our way back and tell the counselors anyway."
"True. I guess we should just keep looking then."

I thought it couldn't get any worse when I felt light rain drops splash my eyes. A second later it was a down pour. We ducked under a canopy of trees and decided to try and wait it out. Our clothing we tried to wring the worse of the rain out and we sat drying under a large pine tree.

"How long do you think this has here?" Shane says curiously staring up between the branches with his hat on sideways.

I flick the brim of his hat and he sits up startled. "Longer then you have." I say laughing.

"Haha. Very funny." He says mock laughing. "But seriously, how old do you guys think?"

We call out random numbers but it's Cade that actually has the facts.

"Didn't Nate say that there were trees out here over three hundred years old?"

"Nate?" Jackie asks puzzled.

"Their counselor." I explain.

"Oh. Do you like your counselors?"

"Are you kidding? We love them. This is the first year we actually had any good ones." Shane says giving a high five to Cade.

"How about you guys? Did you get the crappy ones?" Cade asks after they both settled down.

"Pretty good. They don't bother us and they are really nice." Maxy says speaking up.

"Plus, they let us do pretty much what we want." Lena adds and we all nod, agreeing with her.

Shane sits up excitedly and knocks Cade over in the process.

"Hey dude, watch it." Cade says playfully punching him.

Shane swats him away with his hand causing Cade to laugh. "Don't you think we should teach the new girls the most popular camp song?"

"Song?" Lena echoes nervously. "Were we supposed to know it?"

"Nah. But it's better to know it now then have to sing it in front of a group of senior campers." Shane replies.

"You ready?" Then Shane belts out words that I could barely understand and I have been singing the song for years.

"Shut up Shane. They can't even understand because of your awful singing." Cade says laughing. 'Kay, here's how it goes."

"The cutest worm
I ever saw
was curled up in
my soda straw
the cutest worm i ever saw was curled up in my soda straw!

Verse 2

He said to me
don't take a sip
for if you do
I'll surely slip
he said to me don't take a sip for if you do i'll surely slip!

Verse 3

I took a sip
and he went down
all through pipes
he must of drown
I took a sip and he went down all through my pipes he must of drown!

Verse 4

I burped him up
and he was dead
a piece of ice
went through his head
I burped him up and he was dead a piece of ice went through his head!

Verse 5

That is the end
there ain't no more
unless i see
that worm once more
that is the end there ain't no more unless i see that worm once more!"

"That's disgusting!" Vicky says laughing. "But kinda catchy. Are you sure the seniors don't do it just to humiliate us?"

" Actually, they do it just to humiliate you. But your gonna have to learn it or you'll end up pranked." I say remembering my first year of camp.

"Big time pranked. The first year Liz and I was here, I ended up with a pretty painful wedgie and Liz got temporary purple hair that she thought was real." Cade says laughing.

"It wasn't funny! I though dad was going to kill me and I was even prepared to sue!" I protest but I couldn't help laughing at the memory.

"Who turned your hair purple, Liz?" Vicky asks curiosly.

"Olive and her best friend Tiffany from the other girls bunk our age." I say crossly. "Olive I can forgive, but Tiffany is still a bit-"

"Whoa there Liz." Cade says plopping his dirty hand on my mouth.

I swat it away and spit out the dirt that had transferred from his hands to my mouth. I decided not to say anything since mine were probably just as terrible.

"So anyway, do you girls want to learn the song?" Shane says glancing around at the new girls.
They shake their heads eagerly and soon the song is underway again. But this time we all join in and for the moment we forget where we are.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter dedicated to Courtney16TDA from Quizilla.com for her message she sent me a while ago so it's about time she got on dedicated to her. Here's to you Hun. Hope you like it <3

One more tonight :) Comments are loved :)