Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

Just Wondering

You were all in the forest, you were walking back to where you heard a commotion, you walked through with two dead rabbits, “I caught two rabbits!” you smiled, Zuko looked at you shocked, “What?” you asked, “You can catch food?” Zuko asked, “Yea, how the hell do you think I survived in the wild for six years?” you asked.

“Catch your own food!” you decided and walked off, “Wait!” Zuko yelled, you stopped and folded your arms, “Look I’m sorry okay… I just thought because…” Zuko stopped, you sighed, “Because I was a girl I wouldn’t be use to all this kinda stuff… I guess you forgotten I was in the forest for a few years then…” you sighed.

“Fine, we can share the rabbit…” you smirked and walked back towards Iroh, “Zuko, remember that plant I thought might be tea?” Iroh asked, “You didn’t?” Zuko asked, Iroh turned around, you both jumped back, “Let me guess… you thought it was the rare white dragon and it was actually the white jade…” you smacked your forehead, “But look, these are Basque berries known to cure the poison-” you grabbed them and thrown them away, “No they are not, they are the berries that cause you to go blind… God almighty! You two are going to be a handful…” you swung you arms in the air.

“Okay, if we’re going to survive in the forest until we get a place to stay you two are listening to me, you got that?” you asked, they both nodded, “Good… now then let’s go find those berries which will cure you…” you sighed.

Kara found a town for you and you taken Iroh to the medic, “you must not be from around here, you all must be travelers.” The woman said, “We are,” you smiled, “What are your names?” the woman smiled, “I’m Jia Li, this is Lee,” you smiled, “and this is my uncle Mushi…” Zuko explained, Zuko smiled at your quick thinking but Iroh didn’t like the name Zuko gave him, you shrugged.

“Yes, my nephew was name after his father so we just call him junior.” Iroh smiled, Zuko growled a little at the comeback, you nudged him, “you got that coming to you.” You muttered. “Mushi, Jia Li and Junior, my name is San.” The woman smiled, “you all look like you could use a good meal, why don’t you stay for dinner?” San asked, “Sorry but we need to be moving on.” Zuko said, “That’s too bad, my mum always make too much roast duck.” San smiled, you smacked your forehead as Iroh reacted, “Where do you live exactly?” he asked.

That night you all went to San’s house and her mother cooked you some food, “My daughter said you were refugees. We were once refugees ourselves,” San’s mother walked in with the duck, “When I was a little girl the Fire Nation raided our farming village, all the men were taken away that was the last time I saw my father.” San explained, “I know the feeling…” you said, “I haven’t seen my father in many years…” Zuko said, “Oh, are they fighting in the war?” San asked, “No.” “Yes.” You and Zuko spoke at the same time, San looked at you, “Where is your father?” she asked, “My father was killed by the Fire Nation, he was a water bender and they killed him…” you explained, “Where do you come from?” San asked, “A very long way from here… across the other side of the country…” you explained, “It must have taken you years to cross this land.” San said, you nodded, “at first it was hard because I was all alone, but then I met my eagle Kara, she helped me and we have never been apart for too long.” You explained, “That eagle outside?” San pointed, “Yes, I don’t allow her to come into houses because it isn’t proper, but after dinner if your mother allows it I can introduce you to her, she may even let you stroke her.” You smiled, San looked at her mother as she nodded.

Later on you were sitting in the back with Kara while Zuko was sitting not to far away on the porch. You started to feed Kara as San walked out and sat next to Zuko, you glared at her a little as they started talking but you couldn’t hear what they were talking about.

You saw San reach out for Zuko’s scar as you fed Kara but Zuko stopped her, you glared at her sideways and then Kara was finished eating. She squawked and stayed on your knee, you smiled and stroked her gently, “I wish me and Zuko could get a chance to be alone together…” you sighed.

-Zuko’s POV-
San shown me her burns on her legs, I was shocked that this happened in the war. I never imagined anything like this. I looked out towards Xia, she was stroking her eagle. “You care about her don’t you?” San asked, “Who?” I asked, “Jia Li… isn’t she your girlfriend?” San asked me, I shook my head, “I think she loves you.” San looked at Xia, I smiled a little, “Jia Li is hard to read, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you were wrong.” I replied, Xia pulled Kara on her arm and pushed her up into the sky as the eagle took off. “Well I can tell she does.” San said, “it’s written all over her face.” San added, I looked at San then back at Xia as she stood up and looked at us, she smiled at me, “See…” San said, “I’ll see you later.” San stood up and walked back inside her house as Xia walked over.

~Xia’s POV~
You sat next to Zuko as San walked inside, “What did you two talk about?” you asked, “Why?” Zuko asked, “No reason, just wondering.” You replied quickly, “Not jealous were you?” Zuko asked, you looked at him shocked as your cheeks burned red, “No… why would I?” you snapped and folded your arms.

You sighed and crossed your legs, “Its written all over my face isn’t it?” you asked, Zuko looked round at you, “I don’t see any words on your face…” Zuko cupped your cheek and pulled you to face him, “Nope, no words… unless…” Zuko was making a joked and you smirked smacking his hand away, “Don’t take the wet.” You said, Zuko smiled. You pushed him a little, Zuko smirked and pushed your down against the ground, your cheeks were pink as his face was inches from your own, “Xia…” he whispered so no one could hear, “yea…” you replied.

Zuko’s lips met yours softly; your eyes closed as you melted into the kiss with him and wrapped your arms around his neck. Just as his tongue slipped along your lip the door opened besides you two, you both looked up at Uncle Iroh with red cheeks, “Can’t keep away from each other for 5 minutes… come on we have to leave now.” Iroh said

“Thank you for the duck, it was excellent.” Iroh smiled, “your welcome, it brings me joy to see someone eating my cooking with such… gusto.” San’s mother smiled, “much practice.” Iroh rubbed his stomach. “I must thank you for the food you supplied me to give to Kara, she much appreciated it,” you smiled, “Well she is a lovely bird.” San’s mother smiled, you saw Kara sitting on top of the roof as she squawked.

You and Iroh bowed as Zuko walked back, “Junior, where are your manners? You need to thank these nice people.” Iroh explained, Zuko put his hands together and bowed, “Thank you.” He said, you smiled a little and walked back with him after waving.

“I know you don’t think there’s any hope left in the world, but there is hope the Avatar has returned.” San said, you cringed a little hoping Zuko wouldn’t react, luckily he didn’t, “I know…” Zuko replied.

You walked forward but stopped when you saw Zuko was taking their osterige horse, you didn’t like those things the Earth Warriors rode on because you got attacked by a few once. “What are you doing? These people just showed you great kindness…” Iroh explained, “Their about to show us a little more kindness.” Zuko replied, you backed away from the thing as Zuko held his hand out for you. You reluctantly taken it, as Iroh got on also, you held onto Zuko when you looked back at the house you were just in. You put your head on Zuko’s shoulder and closed your eyes.