Life's a Bitch, But Love is Hell

Painful Past

A few days had past, you and Zuko were following some trails on the floor, “Is it your sister?” you asked, “Maybe.” Zuko replied, “She must be after the Avatar…” you said, “Who else?” Zuko replied.

You both were following them all day, you were getting a little sleepy but didn’t.

“Do you really want to fight me?” Azula asked, you and Zuko jumped off the osterige horse, “Yes, I really do.” Zuko taken his hat off, you taken your stance next to him and glared at Azula, you looked back at the Avatar and a small smile appeared on your lips. Aang noticed but didn’t smile back, “I was wondering when you and your little friend would show up Zu-Zu.” Azula smirked; Aang laughed a little, “Zu-Zu?” Aang asked, “Back off Azula. He’s mine.” Zuko growled, “I’m not going anywhere.” Azula readied to fight, you did also besides Zuko, but you were mainly going to aim for Azula.

You all stood there waiting for someone to start the fight, Azula did. She attacked Zuko and sent him back; you attacked at her as she knocked Aang down out of the sky. Azula blocked your attacks and you blocked hers until Zuko sent an attack at her and she dodged then ran after Aang. Fire and wind were blowing everywhere in this town. Aang ran into a house, Azula followed along with Zuko then yourself, you stopped at the edge of a drop and saw Zuko on the floor, to your left was Azula she went to kick you, you blocked and thrown her off the edge. She quickly pulled her hand around scratched your cheek and pulled you down with her.

You fell on the floor besides Zuko and pulled yourself up as Zuko blocked an attack from Azula. Zuko was sent flying back out of the house, as she ran out you stood up and ran after her. She had trapped Aang in a house under a pile of wood. Katara ran by your side as you both water bended to grab her wrist and pulled Azula around, you freed Aang which surprised Katara as you both ran out of the house dodging Azula’s attack.

Then Sokka came around the corner, you, Aang, Katara and Sokka advanced on her. You all started to fight against her sending one attack after the next, she got knocked down by some girl who was an Earth bender, “She’s new…” you said to yourself, “I thought you guys could use a little help.” She smiled, you noticed her eyes were dull, then you realised she was blind. “Thanks.” Katara smiled.

Azula started to run until Iroh stopped her and knocked Azula to the ground. You all cornered Azula and resumed your stance; you were in between Zuko and Iroh. “Well, look at this enemies and traitors all working together. I’m done, I know when I’m beaten, you got me, a Princess surrenders with honor.” Azula said, you were a bit fishy about this as you looked at Iroh to see if he could tell also, then you were hit. You screamed out in pain and fell to the ground.

-Zuko’s POV-
Xia fell to the ground, “No!” I yelled then attacked Azula as my uncle went to look at Xia. An explosion happened as I ran back to Xia. I knelt down besides her as she was knocked out cold, I yelled out in annoyance at myself for letting this happen, Xia was hurt… and I didn’t protect her. I heard the Avatar and his friends behind us, “Get away from us!” I yelled, “Zuko I can help.” The water tribe girl walked forward, “Leave!” I yelled throwing Fire over their heads.

They all ran as I looked back at Xia, “I’ll see what I can do with her wound.” My uncle said.

~Xia’s POV~
~Dream~
You were 5 and your brother was 18, he was getting ready to leave to fight for the Fire Nation, “Shen… don’t leave… you will play with me?” you asked, “I have to leave Jackie… I have to, but I promise I’ll be back and everything will be as it was, okay. I’ll be back before you know it.” Shen smiled at you, his long jet black hair swayed a little with his metallic eyes, “Don’t be gone long…” you said, “I’m giving this to you, here,” Shen handed you a small golden snake, “But… mother gave this to you when you turned 16…” you looked at Shen, “And now I want you to look after it, only the first born can wear it says our family tradition, but if something happens to me then you should carry that tradition on my little sister, its my wish.” Shen said, “But nothing will happen to you!” you cried, Shen smiled weakly at you and kissed your forehead, “Time for bed Jackie…” you mother walked around, “Why does Shen have to leave?” you asked, “He’s going to protect us from the bad people.” You mother said, you blinked then hugged your big brother, “I don’t want Shen to leave… no! I won’t!” you cried, Shen picked you up, “I love you Xia…” Shen said then handed you over to your mother, “No! Shen! I love you too, Shen! Don’t leave! Big brother!” you cried out.

-Zuko’s POV-
We found a small empty place to help Xia’s wounds and look after her, she was asleep on the ground as Iroh looked after her, I was making some tea as she started to moan in her sleep. “No… Shen… please…” she muttered, “whose Shen?” my uncle asked, I shrugged, “I love you too, Shen… don’t leave…” Xia said, Iroh looked at me as I felt my heart break, she loves someone else… “Big brother!” Xia shot up and grabbed her head, “Shen…” she muttered, Xia cried out in pain and held her shoulder, “Easy there Xia, I’ve wrapped your wound but your still hurt, lay down and rest.” My uncle pushed her down, “Sorry…” she muttered and looked away.

“Whose Shen?” I snapped, Xia looked at me shocked, “Was I talking in my sleep?” Xia asked, “More like yelling,” my uncle said, “Is he your boyfriend?” I snapped again, Xia looked at me shocked, “You’re my first boyfriend ever Zuko so I highly doubt it and the idea of dating my brother would be really weird…” Xia replied, “Your brother?” I asked, “Yea… I had a big brother… but I have no idea where he is now…” Xia replied and hugged her knees, “When did you last see him?” my uncle asked, “11 years ago… he’s fighting in the war…” Xia muttered.

“Sorry for accusing you of cheating…” I said, “It’s okay, understandable really, but I just never like talking about my brother… not since he broke his promise…” Xia replied, “He promised that he’d come back and when he did everything will be like it was, but how can he now that my entire family is dead… how dare he…” Xia clenched her fists, “Your brother didn’t really break his promise Xia.” My uncle spoke, “Yes he did! He never came back and because of that our family was torn apart!” Xia yelled, she had tears in her eyes as she looked at me then burst into tears. “He promised… this is why I keep my promises… because you hurt someone if you don’t…” Xia cried, I sat by her and put my arm around her shoulder. Xia wrapped her arms around my neck, “Mind your scar…” I said, “I don’t care at the minute about that…” she replied, “I just want my big bro back,” she said.

~Xia’s POV~
Later on Zuko and Iroh began talking about training as you started thinking about your past, you hugged you sat on the stairs as they were talking for a while.

~Flashback~
“Shen!” you called, “Shennnnnnnnnnaaaa!” you yelled again “Where are you?” you called, you had your two wooden swords ready for an attack if he popped out of nowhere. You heard a rustle in the bushes behind you, you picked up a stone and thrown it in the direction, “Ouch! Xia!” Shen yelled, “At least it wasn’t the sword!” you called, Shen jumped out and you two started to play fight with your swords.

Okay so he was 18, and you were 5… but you were almost at his level of fighting thanks to training with him and watching him fight.
~End Flashback~

You laughed a little to yourself at all the fun times you had with Shen.

~Flashback~
You were sitting by the river playing with the water with your hands in it as you heard a rustle behind you, “Who’s there?” you asked, there was no reply but you could sense a presence, you continued to play with the water until you heard feet behind you. You quickly rolled out the way as you saw Shen tried to give you a scare, he was leaning over the water trying to pull himself back but he fell head in, you burst out laughing and sat up, “Shen! Moms gonna kill you!” you laughed, “It’s your fault for moving!” Shen’s head reappeared out of the water, you smiled and continued to laugh as he started laughing and stepped out, “Come on sis… they’ll believe you if you tell them.” Shen smiled, you taken his hands as Shen led you back home dripping wet.
~End Flashback~

Zuko and Iroh started training, your hair blew in the wind, you moved it behind your ears as it was now past your shoulders.

You watched Zuko try a new move but it blew up in his face, you sat there shocked.

Iroh left Zuko to train as you sat next to each other, “So, your brother… what was he like?” Iroh asked, “Shen… he was great, the best brother a sister could ask for… even though we had a huge age difference he still played with me and if any of his friends said anything about me he’d beat the crap out of them.” You smiled, “How old would he be right now?” Iroh asked, “29, he’s 13 years older then me,” you replied, “So he was 18 when he left?” Iroh asked, you nodded and pulled your knees up, in doing so you knocked your scar, you winced and held your shoulder, “Be careful with your wound, its still delicate,” Iroh said, “I think I can tell…” you winced.

“Why can’t I do it? Instead of lightning it keeps exploding in my face! Like everything always does!” Zuko complained, you were a little shocked, “Don’t worry, he just feels bad about letting you get hurt.” Iroh whispered towards you, you nodded and hugged your knees.

Iroh stood up and walked over to Zuko, “I was afraid this might happen. You will not be able to master lightning not till you have dealt with the turmoil inside you.” Iroh explained, “What turmoil?” Zuko yelled, “Zuko, you must let go of your feelings of shame if you want your anger to go away.” Iroh explained, “But I don’t feel any shame at all, I’m as proud as ever.” Zuko replied, “Prince Zuko, pride is not the opposite of shame but in source true humility is the only antidote to shame.” Iroh explained, “Well my life has been nothing but humbling lately.” Zuko explained, you bowed your head down where closed your eyes thinking.

You snuck away from the two for a while; you needed some time to think about things. You sat under a tree and looked up at the sky, “Where did it all go wrong?” you muttered, “What did I do to deserve this…” you muttered.

~Flashback~
“No! You can’t take my dad away! You can’t!” you cried as your mother held onto you in the cart.

You stopped outside a huge building. You and your mother were taken into a room, you saw your father’s hands were chained up in the air as he was on his knees, “Daddy!” you yelled and ran towards him, “Xia!” your mother called as you hugged your dad, “What’s going on daddy? Why are they doing all of this?” you had tears streaming down your face.

The soldiers pulled you away from your father as a man wearing a royal robe walked in and faced your father, “You have some nerve force marrying one of my Fire Nation Generals to live. You will now die with your family watching.” A dark voice spoke, you were about to cry out but your mother covered your mouth and made you look away as you heard your father’s yell in pain and a shadow cast upon the wall you were looking at of him screaming, burning… and soon dying.
~End Flashback~

You sat up and brushed your hair back, “I really need to do something about my hair…” you muttered. You stood up and walked back to where Zuko and Iroh were training.

~Flashback~
Your mother was always in her room lately, and you noticed that she started doing weird things. You thought she was going crazy, one night you sat on your bed and cried silently. “Jackie… where are you?” you heard your mother, “I’m right here…” you walked out, “Come with me my little sweet.” She smiled and taken your hand, she led you out into her room.

You stopped when you saw a piece of rope hanging off the ground, “We’re going to meet your father…” you mother smiled at your weakly, “But… fathers dead… how can we meet him?” you asked, then you realised what your mother was going to do. “Mummy let me go!” you cried, “This isn’t the answer… come on mum!” you yelled, “No… we are going through with this now!” your mother yelled, you kicked her ankles and made her let go.

You ran out of the house and told your grandmother, when you both came back you saw your mother hanging from the ceiling by her neck, your grandmother shielded your face from the awful sight.
~End Flashback~

You got back to camp and it was night time, “Where have you been!?” Zuko yelled, “I’ve been for a walk… I needed to clear my head…” you replied and hugged yourself, “What’s wrong?” Zuko asked, “It’s the day my mom killed herself…” you whispered, “and before you say sorry don’t, nobody should be sorry about her death! She was crazy!” you yelled, “She was going to kill me also…” you muttered, Zuko was shocked and pulled you gently into a hug. He kissed your forehead and pulled you back towards the house to sleep for the night.