I'll Kiss You as My Final Goodbye

That Gave Me Heartache to Sing

“BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH!” Jake yelled as he ran to the beach.

I laughed as I followed behind him, locking my car before walking to the sandy beach. I got my towel out from my bag and placed it down on the beach. I carefully sat on it and watched as Jake ran around like an idiot.

“Hey Kaiden!” Lacey said happily as she and Leana sat down beside me.

“Hey,” I said as I watched Johnny and Jimmy chase Jake around.

It has been two days since Jake arrived and this was his first trip to the beach. He kept bothering me about it. He had met everybody except for Brian who has been AWOL. He told everybody that he hasn’t been to the beach yesterday so they had decided today was going to Beach Day. Everyone was supposedly coming but no one was really sure about Brian.

“What a way to start the day!” Gena said as she and Val approached us.

We greeted them and they lay their towels beside ours and joined our little group.

“Where are Zacky and Matt?” I asked as I looked for the two.

“They were chasing your brother with Johnny and Jimmy.” Val said as she looked around for her husband. “But I don’t know where they are now.”

I simply shrugged, knowing they wouldn’t do anything that bad to Jake. I slid off my shorts and rested my sunglasses on the top of my head.

I lay down on my towel and used my bag as a pillow. I know I wouldn’t exactly be getting the best tan on my stomach because I was wearing a one piece but it hugged all the right curves and I looked great so for now, I didn’t mind.

I saw the other girls do the same and we enjoyed the sun while we could. Who knows what the boys have planned for today?

I was minding my own business and sucking up the sun when it suddenly disappeared. I looked up and saw Brian and a girl standing at the spot that would block the sun from me.

I rested on my elbows and looked up at Brian and the girl.

“Hey,” I said as they looked at me.

“Kay? Who are you talking to?” Leana asked before I pointed to Brian and the blond. “Oh, hey Bri. Where have you been?”

“Hey,” Brian said distractedly. “Have you seen the guys?”

“They are running around somewhere, chasing Kay’s brother.” Gena said as she sat up and looked at the couple skeptically.

“Oh ok,” Brian said, giving up on his search for the guys and resting his eyes on us, or well me.

I shifted uncomfortably as Brian’s eyes glued on to me. I didn’t like it at all and it felt like he was never going to look away. By now Val and Lacey had sat up and were now looking at Brian and his mystery date with careful expressions.

The blond coughed, catching Brian’s attention.

“Oh yeah,” he said as if he just remembered she was there. “Jersey, this is Val, Leana, Kaiden, Lacey, and Gena. Girls, this is Jersey.”

“It’s Jaesey.” She said adding a fake giggle as if she was cute.

“Hi,” we chorused.

“Hey!” She said with fake enthusiasm.

“Great, you all get along.” Brian said before leaving her with us.

As soon as he left she dropped her bags on the sand and glared at all of us. We glared right back at her before going back to what we were previously doing. I flipped over and lay on my stomach.

I rested my head on my arm and closed my eyes. I was enjoying the nice California sun when sand was suddenly kicked in my face.

“FUCK!” I yelled as I sat up.

All the girls watched me as I spat out the sand that found its way to my mouth. I pushed my hair back and glared at the person who kicked the sand in my face. It was Jaesey.

“Oops.” She said as she smirked at me.

I was ready to pounce on her but Lacey and Leana were holding me down. She smirked at me before walking away.

“What the fuck was that?” Jake asked from behind me.

I turned around and saw him and Johnny staring at Jaesey. Not like they wanted to fuck her, more like because she was a bitch.

“I don’t know.” I replied.

I stood up and brushed off the rest of the sand that was on me. I slid the ponytail off and let my hair fall in curls. I started walking away from the group and towards the sea when Val called out.

“Where are you going?” She asked.

“Going for a swim? Are you going to come?” I asked.

They all shook their heads except for Jake who came running up to me. He picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. He broke into a run and I soon heard his feet splashing through the water.

“PUT ME DOWN!!!” I yelled.

“Ok,” he said and dropped me into the freezing cold water.

“AAAAAAH!” I yelled as I jumped up and onto Jake who was laughing.

Jake wasn’t able to catch me so instead of jumping up and hanging on to him, we both stumbled into the freezing cold water.

Instead of screaming this time, I just stood up and walked out of the water. I walked to the group, Matt, Val, Jimmy, Leana, Johnny, Lacey, Zacky, and Gena, who were laughing their asses off. I glared at them before picking up my towel and using it to dry myself.

I stared at the people around me who were still laughing and sighed. I looked around me and saw Jake playing in the water like a five-year old while splashing some innocent red headed girl nearby. I smiled at him before letting my eyes scan around the beach once more. They landed on no other than Miss Jaesey.

She was currently holding a very saucy hotdog. I looked around and noticed no one was paying attention to me. I stealthily made my way to her and accidentally bumped into her, making the hotdog fall on her oh so dainty white dress.

“Oops.” I said mocking her tone from awhile ago.

She looked at me with wide eyes and a round mouth. The laughing behind me stopped briefly before erupting in a whole new set of laughter. I bit my lip to hold in my laughter and watched as she ran to Brian who was spacing out.

She was ranting off to Brian who was staring into space and nodding every now and then. I couldn’t understand what she was saying but I could hear her annoying high pitched voice.

I watched as Brian just kept nodding to whatever she was saying even though she was poking him in the chest.

“BRIAN!” she yelled catching not only Brian’s attention but most probably everybody in a five mile radius.

He looked at her with an annoyed look and arched eyebrow.

She said something to him and he said something to her. They seemed to be arguing before she finally stormed off, glaring when she passed me. She walked off the beach and it seemed like only then did she notice she had no car. She yelled in frustration and we all just laughed causing her to glare at us before continuing her stomping escapade.

Brian and I joined the group and fell on our asses as we laughed. Jake came running up to the group and stared at us oddly before leaving us once again.

I controlled my breathing and heard my phone ringing. I got my bag and dug around for it, finally finding it after awhile. I brought out my ringing blackberry and quickly answered it.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Good afternoon Kaiden,” Mr. McAnthony said.

“Hey Mr. McAnthony!” I said.

“Would you mind going to the office this afternoon?” he asked.

“No problem,” I said as I chewed on my bottom lips thinking about Jake. “What time?”

“Is now okay?” he asked uneasily.

“Uh, yeah sure I’ll be there in a few.” I said as I stood up and gathered my things.

“Hey! Where are you going?” Lacey asked.

“I have to handle all this shit with Mr. McAnthony.” I told her as I made sure I didn’t leave anything.

“I can’t wait till all of that is done.” Johnny said. “So that you can actually spend a whole day with us without having to go to Mr. McAnthony.”

“Me too,” I said as I looked for Jake.

“JAAAAAAAKE!” I yelled as I spotted him with the same girl from awhile ago.

“Coming!” he yelled before turning back to the girl, saying something, and then running up to me.

“I need to go to Mr. McAnthony’s office.” I told him and he nodded. “Are you going to come with me or stay?”

“I’ll go with you.” He said putting on his shirt and looking for the girl. He smiled at her and she returned it.

“Did you get her number?” I asked, causing a blush to appear on his cheeks.

“Yeah,” he said softly, earning approving words from everybody.

“Come on,” I said after I said goodbye to everyone.

Jake followed me and got into the car, actually using the door this time. I got in and started driving to Mr. McAnthony’s office.

“Why do you still have to visit father’s lawyer?” he asked.

“Cause there are things that still need to be settled.” I said, not wanting to get him involved.

“Like what?” he asked. “I thought you got practically everything.”

“Just things ok Jake?” I snapped.

“Yeah,” he said softly, sinking into his seat making me feel guilty right away.

“I am sorry Jake,” I said letting my eyes drift towards him. “It’s just that there is some shit to settle and it just makes me want to rip my bloody head off.”

“Ok,” he said as he bit his lip to hold back his laughter.

It was a habit that runs in the family, definitely not from our mother though.

“Come on, we’re here.” I said as I parked my car in front of his building

I greeted the receptionist and went straight up to Mr. McAnthony’s office. I knocked on his door and heard a muffled ’come in’ from the other side. I opened it slowly and saw a very stressed Mr. McAnthony leaning on his desk as he looked at some papers.

“Hi Mr. McAnthony,” I said, startling him.

“Oh, hello Kaiden.” He said as he looked at me.

“Mr. McAnthony this is my brother Jake.” I said introducing them.

“Hello Jake,” He said but didn’t get up.

Jake looked at me and I just shrugged, not knowing anything. I sat down on one of the chairs by his desk and Jake sat in the one across from me. We both waited patiently for Mr. McAnthony to stop glaring at the paper that was lying on his desk.

“Sorry,” he said as he moved his gaze from the paper and to Jake and I.

“It’s ok,” I said politely.

“Anyway, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” He said to Jake and they shook hands. “Now, Ms. Johnson is demanding a DNA test which they can do because they already have your father’s on file. If it turns out negative, we have nothing to worry about. But if it doesn’t, that’s a whole other story. The court date will most probably be in a month or two and you’ll have to find another lawyer to represent you. I can suggest a few for you. My opinion on the matter is if you can’t get the judge to ignore the request to overturn the will, you’ll have to work on keeping the things that you want. Don’t wait till the last moment to change your strategy.”

“Huh? What is he talking about?” Jake asked.

“Someone is trying to overturn dad’s will.” I said softly.

“Who?”

“Just some person and her kid.”

“Is there a possibility that this kid is our half-sibling?”

“Yeah”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” He yelled.

“Because I didn’t want you to think dad is some evil monster!” I yelled right back at him.

“BUT HE IS!”

“NO HE ISN’T!”

“YOU USED TO BE THE ONE WHO WOULD TELL ME THAT HE WAS!”

“WELL I HAVE CHANGED!”

“YOU CAN’T JUST CHANGE YOUR OPINION LIKE THAT!”

“YES I FUCKING CAN!”

“BUT ALL THOSE YEARS HE TREATED YOU LIKE SHIT!”

“HE MISSED YOU AND MUM!”

Jake stayed speechless and looked at me with wide eyes.

“Whatever,” he said before walking out of the office.

I watched him as he walked out of the office and as soon as he slammed the door close I slumped into the seat I was occupying earlier.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope it makes up for my really short update the other day.