Sequel: Our Next Move
Status: completed :D

We Were Both Young When I First Saw You

A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

May 31, 2004
I cannot believe that I have graduated from high school, it seems like only yesterday that I was a small and helpless freshman. Today, I am a high school graduate who is getting married in December. Today Matt and I are planning on going to Disneyland again, this time though, it will be just the two of us.

I have packed for my trip to North Carolina, where Grammy and Papa live, I will be staying for 2 weeks and am leaving tomorrow night. Matt wanted us to spend time together before I left because during this time and for most of the summer, he and the boys would be working on their album. He also told me he had a surprise for me but I would have to be patient, something I am not.
10:00 A.M.


I woke up to my cell phone ringing "The Reason" and I knew it was Matt, however, it took me a while to register that he was calling me and I was still in bed. I finally tried to answer the phone andsilently loudly said

"crap!"

when I realized it went to voice mail. I called my voice mail box, put in my password and heard Matt say

"Good morning beautiful, I am downstairs waiting in your dad's game room, come on down when you are ready, but don't keep me waiting for too long. I love you."

I woke up, took a quick shower and got dressed in an Ed Hardy tank top, shorts, black flip flops and put in a simple belly ring it feels so right to wear one every day now, instead of taking it out just for school and dancing. I walked downstairs to my dad's “man room” and found Matt and Daddy watching a soccer game.

They both stopped and looked at me when I entered the room. I noticed that unintentionally Matt and I both matched, we both had Ed Hardy shirts on, how cool!

Matt came over and kissed my check he knows how to behave in front of Daddy, well, until we get married that is and grabbed my hand and laced my fingers with his and we sat down on the couch. My dad turned off the TV and turned toward us and said,

"Ashlyn, are you packed? When will you two be back?"

"Yes, Daddy, I am packed, the only thing left to pack is my cell phone and my toiletries,"

I said.
Matt said,

"we will try and be back as soon as possible. so that I can reveal my surprise to Ashlyn before she leaves tomorrow night, since we will be in the studio tomorrow."

great Matt, another surprise that my dad knows about and I don’t.

We got up, said goodbye to Daddy and on the way to the front door saw Mama and said goodbye to her too. Then we were off to Anaheim to Disneyland. We talked about the newest Avenged Sevenfold album and Matt said that the songs were all ready written, they just had to record now. I talked about how excited I was to be going to North Carolina tomorrow but that I was sad that we would be away for 2 weeks and would not be able to plan more of our wedding

I mean sure, we had planned where we were having the wedding, Bel-Air Presbyterian the church I grew up in and of course we needed to inform them 6 months before the wedding, I have found the perfect bridesmaid dresses, they are a candy apple colour because since we are getting married a week before Christmas, we wanted to have Christmas colours as our theme.

I have not found my dress yet but then again we have not looked for one yet and Gigi promised me that while I am in New York with her and Poppy, we are going to go to Kleinfeld's Bridal.

We finally got to Disneyland and got our tickets and sat down near the entrance to plan out our day. We decided to go to Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Mad Tea Party, It's a Small World because we are still like little kids on the inside and Pirates of the Caribbean. While this may seems like only a few rides, Matt and I love to go on rides more than once, so we would be going on these rides at least 3 or 4 times a piece. well, except the Mad Tea Party and It's a Small World, I don't think we could stand to go through that more than once.

We decided before anything that we should eat, because we had not eaten yet and it was almost lunch time. We decided to eat at the Hungry Bear Restaurant.

We both had a cheeseburger and french fries. We talked about how excited we were that we were here but that we were also sad because it would be our last day together for about 2 weeks. We also decided that we would not mention that idea for the rest of the day, we needed to focus on the good times and not on the time we would have apart.

We threw our trash away and make our way towards Splash Mountain. We decided to "pretend" to be normal for the day, I did not want the fact that I was the daughter of James Diamond,the fact that I was dating M. Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold or the fact that I was about to marry Matt Sanders, make it seem like I wanted special treatment. In fact, I wanted the complete opposite; I wanted to be just like everyone else for the day. No one has asked for Matt's autograph yet but that does not mean someone will before the day is over.

We got in line and before we got into the log wow, that was a fast line, only about a 10 minute wait we decided to go into the back of the line and make funny faces at the camera. The funniest thing has got to be that there is a mom and her 9 year old son in front of us (it’s only funny because of what Matt’s idea of a funny face is, his usual idea is to make “devil horns” with his middle fingers near his head.

Well, I had decided what my funny face would be and Matt decided his and then we got onto the ride and before we knew it, the ride was over. We walked over to where the pictures were being shown and we heard a woman scream,

"this is a children's ride, who would do such a thing?!"

We waited for her to leave which didn't take very long and then we looked at the picture and saw our picture. We could not help but laugh because although the little boy and everyone else in the picture were screaming, Matt was flipping the bird with one hand and trying to get to "second base" and we were kissing too.

We bought a picture as Matt said,

"the boys will never believe this
.

We rode everything else and got more pictures thankfully Matt decided to stop trying to get to "second base" because I told him that Daddy might want to see some of these pictures and I didn't think Daddy would appreciate Matt touching the girls before we were married, well, he wouldn't want Matt to be touching them anywhere in public for that matter.

It was finally time for us to go and we rode back, not talking much. I guess like the last time he surprised me Matt was thinking about how to surprise me. We pulled up to my house and Matt kissed me before we walked in don't worry he only hit a single and for those of you who don't watch baseball, that is only first base.. He said hi to my parents, winked at them before we walked to my bonus room, where he told me to sit down.

"Ashlyn, I want you to know that I love you and would do anything for you, and these past 8 months have been absolutely amazing and you have inspired me so much. This song has been inspired by you. We hope to have it on our album, so that everyone can know just how much I love you. We have not recorded it yet but I can let you read the lyrics, once we record it, I will personally hand you a copy of this song, so you can have it forever."

Then he handed me a notebook filled with lyrics and sat down across from me and waited for me to read. Here is what I read next.


Seize the Day
written by: Baker, Zachary James; Haner, Brian Elwin; Sanders, Matthew Charles; Sullivan, James Owen

Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over

I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time
But I'm too young to worry
These streets we travel on will undergo our same lost past

I found you here, now please just stay for a while
I can move on with you around
I hand you my mortal life, but will it be forever?
I'd do anything for a smile, holding you 'til our time is done
We both know the day will come, but I don't want to leave you

I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time
But I'm too young to worry (a melody, a memory, or just one picture)

Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over

Newborn life replacing all of us, changing this fable we live in
No longer needed here so where do we go?
Will you take a journey tonight, follow me past the walls of death?
But, what if there is no eternal life?

I see my vision burn, I feel my memories fade with time
But I'm too young to worry (a melody, a memory, or just one picture)

Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over

Trials in life, questions of us existing here, don't wanna die alone without you here
Please tell me what we have is real

So, what if I never hold you, yeah, or kiss your lips again?
Whoa, so I never want to leave you and the memories of us to see
I beg don't leave me

Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost
It's empty and cold without you here, too many people to ache over

Trials in life, questions of us existing here, don't wanna die alone without you here
Please tell me what we have is real

Silence you lost me, no chance for one more day [x2 then continues in the background]
I stand here alone
Falling away from you, no chance to get back home
I stand here alone
Falling away from you, no chance to get back home


I started to cry during the first chorus but could still read. At the end of the song, I was balling and telling Matt,

"I cannot believe you did that for me, thank you."

He then came towards me and kissed me again and told me that he would miss me, and that he would miss me and we said our goodbye's but knew it would not be forever at least we hoped not, we were really looking forward to getting married.

I said goodbye to Matt and then walked slowly back to my room and finished packing, except for the last few things I could pack tomorrow before I left tomorrow night. I called Grammy and Papa, told them about how hard it was to see Matt go, but they reminded me that I would be back before I knew it.

Then I put on my pj's and went to bed. Tomorrow was going to be a really long day, especially since my flight does not leave until 10:58 P.M. I can only hope that I won't miss Matt too much and that we won't forget to call each other since we will be so busy him recording and me 3 hours ahead of him with my grandparents.