Sequel: Our Next Move
Status: completed :D

We Were Both Young When I First Saw You

Going to Carolina in my Mind

June 1, 2004 aka the day/night I leave for Grammy and Papa's.

Well, today was my last day home for 2 weeks, I knew this day was coming but I was scared too. I did not want anything to happen to Matt or I, but at the same time I knew that God would protect us. This is not my first time visiting Grammy and Papa alone, I have done this every summer since I turned 10, only this time, I will be there for 2 weeks instead of just one.

I was nervous though, because my flight left at night this year and I would be in North Carolina around 11:00 A.M. and then Grammy and/or Papa would have to drive me an hour to their house,so I will be at their house at 12:00 P.M. (give or take a few hours because you never know what will happen) and I will be dead tired but I know I will not be able to sleep because once I get there, I will have something to do, I guarantee it.


So, I woke up today at 1:00 P.M. and took a shower, got dressed and finished packing everything and walked downstairs with it. I put it in the living room, so that it would be easier to move to the car when I had to leave at 6:30. man, that thing was really heavy, but what do you expect when I am going to be gone for 2 weeks?

I went into the kitchen and saw both Mama and Daddy just waiting around and when they saw me, their faces turned from boredom to smiling talk about creepy guys. I asked them what in the world was going on and all they said was,

"You will find out at 6:30, Ashlyn, but trust us, you will like it."

great, another surprise, don't get me wrong, I love surprises but waiting for them when you are impatient is not fun. I have to wait 4 hours before I get this surprise.

So, I grabbed leftover roast beef, broccoli and a little bit of mashed potatoes and heated it up for my breakfast/lunch/snack since I don't really like airplane food and it would be a while before I got to eat some "real" food again. After eating and washing my dishes, I decided to walk back up to my room and call my friends and Matt one last time before I left because calling them when there was a 3 hour time difference between each of us is not very fun.

So, I called Courtney, Alexa and Heather. We talked and cried, but I reminded them that when I got back we would have a girls' night and that they were still my bridesmaids and we had to find their dresses, so they had that to look forward to as well.

I also called Matt, who soundednervous excited for some reason but he told me he would miss me and that I would be back here before I knew it and then we would be able to discuss wedding plans on the weekends the only time he had off from the studio.

Before I knew it it was 6:30 and I knew it was time to go, so I said goodbye to Kisses, Tigger and Pooh Bear, left the door to my room open since I knew they would want into my room when I was gone and then turned all the lights out in my room and walked downstairs.

As I was walking down the stairs I saw a tall man with big muscles it can't be Matt, it just can't be, I am just imaging things. and then as I got closer, the big tall man turned around and I saw that dimpled grin I have fallen in love with say it with me, awe!. I ran down the rest of the stairs and jumped into Matt's arms.

"I cannot believe you are here! What are you doing here?"

"I am escorting my beautiful fiancé' to the airport."

"Thank you Mama and Daddy, this is incredible."

"You are welcome, Ashlyn, we love you."

With that, I jumped down and hugged Mama and Daddy then said my goodbyes. Matt grabbed my suitcase and we walked to his Escalade. He put my suitcase in the trunk and then opened my door for me.

We talked about the wedding, he talked about how he had chosen a best man Jimmy, of course, he had thought of a few songs for our first dance but wanted to discuss them with me later and how he was so excited to not only be starting the album but to be marrying me too. Well, the trip to LAX seemed to be shorter than normal but once we got there, he parked the car and we walked to the gate, said our goodbyes and then my wait began.

Fast Forward to June 2, 2004, 2:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

Well, my flight out of Los Angeles left last night at 10:58 P.S.T., I got to Chicago at 4:55 A.M. C.S.T. and then from Chicago (at 5:59 A.M.) went to Charlotte and arrived there at 8:45 A.M. E.S.T. and then from Charlotte flew to Asheville and arrived there at 10:50 (because my flight from Charlotte didn't leave until 9:50).

I met Papa at the airport, looking like crap I am sure, but he still told me I looked beautiful. We picked up my bag and then headed toward the parking lot where I found his BMW 335d Sedan and then he put my suitcase in the trunk and we started to head for Franklin, North Carolina (only an hour away). We talked about my graduation and my wedding jeez, why does everyone want to talk about it all the time now?

We are getting married in 6 months and I don't even have a dress yet, I don't have all the details yet, sometimes my head wants to explode with all the questions, ahh!
So, before I knew it, we were at their house and it instantly warmed my heart and memories of all the other times I had been there flooded back into my mind. I got my suitcase and started to run towards the front door. I opened the door and saw Grammy in the kitchen, cooking away for lunch. I went up behind her and said,

"Guess who Grammy?"

"Oh, Ashlyn, you are here, you surprised me. Now, go and put your bag in your room and lunch will be ready when you come back down."

"What is for lunch Grammy?"

"Crab cakes and green beans."

I found the stairs hey, it had been a while since I had been there so don't blame me for getting lost and found my room, the door was still decorated from my childhood since I am the only grandchild, I get my own room every time I am here, the door was decorated in letters that said,

"Ashlyn's room".

I opened the door and saw that had not changed much from the last time I was here. The only thing that I could tell that changed were the pictures on the wall, now there were pictures of Matt and I and Courtney, Heather, Alexa and I.

I put my suitcase down and started to unpack my suitcase and put my toiletries in the bathroom and found that Grammy must have known exactly what I wanted, because she bought all my favourite toiletries in regular size just like back home. I was so happy about everything in my life and I knew I was blessed. These 2 weeks were going to be so great, I knew I would be sad when I had to go back home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think I should tell you guys that, I have based Grammy and Papa on my own grandparents (may they rest in peace), they lived in Franklin, NC and I LOVED visiting them, whenever I could, I miss them, but they live on in my memories and in this story (for now, because I cannot mention them forever, but don't worry, I won't kill them).

Links
my suitcase
Grammy and Papa’s house
my room