If You Seek Amy

Valerie's POV

Being flute/piccolo section leader was getting to be really demanding. Since our marching contest was in a week, our director added more practice time to our already full schedule. We now had to practice before the football game on Friday and rely on the concession stand for dinner.

"Okay....let's run the show two more times and then we'll quit for dinner and to change. Opening set!" Mr. Wallace said into the uber-loud megaphone.

The band sluggishly trudged to our opening set and stood at the ready for our drum majors. When the whistle was blown, we moved to attention and waited. The last whistle. Here we go. I watched out of the corner of my eye at the multi-rookie line I was in.

"One, two, three, HIT! STEP OUT!" I shouted. I stepped out of line to call out a reminder to the underclassmen and rookies.

"Roll. Your. Feet. Con. Test. In. A. Week!"

I hated having to step out of line, but in this case, it was necessary.

"Come ON, Sarah! Get in line! Guide!"

When would this be over?

"Valerie, I'm sick," a junior piccolo player muttered as she passed me. I sighed and checked my watch.

When practice was finally over, I dashed to the concession stand to order my usual of nachos and a cherry Icee. Food couldn't be enjoyed anymore with my lack of time. Especially tonight. Amy was supposed to be coming for Senior Night, and rumor had it that she had bought flowers for me as an apology for ditching me as a friend our sophomore year. I needed to escape.

When I was finished, I got a ride with a Color Guard member up to the band room, where I quickly changed and helped get my section in line for the cadence. Amy had dreams of being section leader until her secret relationships with two members of the drumline were exposed. Instead of defending herself, she ran away screaming and left me all alone. The sad part was, the girl had dreams. So many of them. What was sadder is that she let everyone steal them away from her.