Sequel: How It Should Be

How We Operate

12:00

It had been a week since Violet had woken up in Evgeni's bed. It had been a week since she had physically seen him. Stupid Thanksgiving. Matt had jetted off to Nantucket with his family, choosing not to speak to Violet about her unspeakable act. Matt not talking to her put the icing on the cake for Violet's lonely drive to Punxsutawney. And then she couldn't think of a way to describe her relationship with Geno so she told everyone she was single and had to suffer through two days of disapproving looks from her aunts and mother and listen to them ask her when she was going to find a man to marry.

And then, because the universe hates her, Violet had to share a wall with her brother and listen to him have sex with his girlfriend all night long. Three cheers for family dysfunction!

On Friday she called Matthew. "Look, Vi, you know I love you. I'd apologize for not talking to you but it won't go very far because you know how I feel, I guess. I don't agree with this. I think you're going to end up hurt."

"Matt, I know you don't want me hurt but it's not even a relationship, really, so I can't get attached to anything."

"Okay, Violet." She could practically see him rubbing his brow the way he does. "When we fight, when we collide and we always pick up the leftovers, because we intend to leave the good feelings on the side for when we want them again. But look, wherever you lead I'll follow, even if it is into Geno's bedroom." Violet remained silent and sniffed. "I guess I crossed a line."

"No, it's okay. You're my friend and of all people you know what's best for me. Thanks." The two chatted about their families and how Violet hated hers and Matthew wanted to stop eating Jew food, as he put it.

But it was Saturday again and the Pens had a night game. Violet and Matt were at the arena waiting for the skate to start. The games for the week had been intense, and Geno scored in all but the last one. Matt said it was probably because he scored with her, too. She was wearing his jersey again and Violet couldn't tell if Matt was being bitter or not.

When the boys skated on the ice Violet tried to keep her cheers for a certain player to a minimum but Matt still threw her looks when she screamed the tiniest bit louder.

Evgeni and Kris purposefully skate by Matt and Violet's glass, smirking and laughing when Violet blushed so red she almost turned violet.

"I remember when Henry would come do stretches by you when you were in the box helping with coach and I would be across the ice with Allen and you would blush all kids of red and then Henry would puff up all proud like "I can turn my girl friend into a tomato" and then he would skate in the goal and make all these amazing saves and you would clap and cheer and every time he heard your voice he would pound his chest like King Kong and make a weird sound and the other teams would be frightened of him,"

"Not that it wasn't flattering, but that was one really long run on sentence." Violet said laughing. "Oh. I miss Henry."

"But you have Malkin now!" Matthew said, again Violet couldn't tell if it was mocking.

"Not really! For all I know we're just fuck buddies! Ugh. I'm going to call Henry later." Violet resolved. The game was exhilarating and the Pens lost. Geno didn't score either. "Maybe it's because your magic sex dust has worn off," Matt joked. Violet shot him a glare. The two made their way to the locker room where Dane, on his last day down there, told Violet that the boys were expecting her to walk in again.

"I bet they're all naked." She joked as she walked in. Sure enough...

"Oh my naked Penguins! Gosh, haven't you all heard of boxers?" Violet laughed and received a completely naked hug from Jordan. "Thanks Jordan."

"Sleep with Geno," was all he said. Violet laughed and smacked Jordon's bare back. Matt hugged Violet behind and said he couldn't take his rage and had to wait outside. Violet laughed, knowing Matt was joking -somewhat- and nodded. Evgeni came up next, partially clothed by this point and quickly wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her.

"Hi," he whispered.

"Sorry you lost," She whispered back and kissed his nose.

"It okay. You come back my place?" He asked.

"Yeah. Let me just go tell Matt." Geno wouldn't let go of her waist and when she whined and shook his head.

"You always with Matt. Why?"

"He's my best friend," she said, running her hands up his naked chest. "Are you jealous?" Evgeni didn't say a word, just stared at her. "You are!" Violet laughed. "Don't worry. You have nothing to worry about. Matt is...just Matt. He's like my brother. And you...you're most definitely not like my brother," Violet said, leaning in and kissing him. Let me just go tell him and I'll come right back. Violet felt bad blowing off Matt via text but his text back was racy and inappropriate which meant he was easing up on her about the sleeping with Geno thing.

On the car ride back to Malkin's house Violet asked him about his homeland and his family. He told her about his mom and dad and how much they meant to him and how he was proud that both he and his brother could support them now.

When they arrived Violet offered to make him hot cocoa, an offer he took up and the two cozied up to each other on the couch and their mugs. Neither spoke. Violet rubbed his shoulders as they drank their cocoa on silence. When they finished Geno wordlessly took their mugs to the sink and appeared back in the living room holding out his hand for Violet to grab. Together they walked up to his bedroom.

As soon as the door shut their lips attached. Evgeni was rough but tender and the same time, picking up Violet and dropping her on the bed. Violet giggled and Geno growled falling on top of her, attacking her collar bone with his lips. The sex that followed was surprisingly passionate and rough for a loss. After several go-arounds members of both parties were exhausted and fell asleep in the same position as last time with Evgeni whispering sweet-nothings in Russian things that he didn't know Violet could understand.

Violet smiled with half closed eyes and she heard Geno tell her that he loved the way she felt against him and her soft skin. She had to bite her lip to keep from smiling and giving away that she knew what he was saying. She fell asleep to his words.

*****************************************************************************
The Ranger-Penguins game was on. Violet and Matt were both flipping out and screaming in their apartment. A few friends had come over to play a Staal V. Staal drinking game and things had gotten a little tipsy. Violet, who needed to be fresh for work the next morning was the only person there not drunk. After seeing Lundqvist make an amazing save Violet was reminded of her promise to herself to call Henry. She waiting until after the game and walked into her bedroom. The Rangers had won 2-1 in an over-time shoot out (it was Geno who had scored that one point).

Henry picked up on the first ring. "Violet Marie!" He sang into the phone. Henry was a Rangers fan. Henry lived in New York. Henry was born in New York.

"Great game, Henners!" Violet said, "Callahan had a lucky shot!"

"Sure, sure, think what you want to think. Callie is clearly the best center on the team,"

"I think not only would Avery want to punch you in the face but Scott Gomez would as well."

"Psshh no, Vi. It's all about the rookies. Callahan, Staal, Dubinsky, that's where it's at!" Henry argued back. "Anyway, what's up? I haven't heard from you in a while, it's nice to hear your voice, I've been meaning to call." Violet blushed a bit but scolded herself. She had Evgeni. But not really.

"It's good to hear your voice, too. I was just thinking about you the other day and wanted to see how you were."

"I'm great, really great. I got a promotion! I get to travel now!" Henry exclaimed. Violet could picture the grin on his face.

"That's great, Hen! You always wanted to travel."

"I know. Speaking off, guess who's coming to Pittsburgh next weeks!"

"Oh my god, really? And you weren't going to tell me?" Violet squealed. "You have to come and see me. It's mandatory!"

"Oh, I'll definitely see you. And that's why I meant to call you! Maybe you could get rid of Matt for a night and I could come to a Pens game with you and you could explain to me why you like them better than the Rangers,"

"Henry," Violet said, shaking her head.

"I fucking bleed blue, what do you want from me?" Henry laughed. "And don't shake your head, I know you're shaking your head." Violet laughed at him. "Look, I'm about to catch the subway, but give me a buzz tomorrow and we'll talk at length about my stay,"

"Sounds good. Nice to hear from you Henry,"

"You too, Vi."

Violet closed the phone and sighed. She opened her bedroom door to see Matt trying to look like he wasn't listening.

"Who was that?"

"Henry," Violet watched as Matt opened his mouth to make a comment. "Don't even, Matt. He's just a friend now."

"Violet, I'm happy. Henry is good for you. He won't fuck you over."

"And Evgeni will?"

"Ten bucks says he will." Violet glared at him and walked away. Geno wouldn't fuck her over. Would he?
♠ ♠ ♠
Looong chapter. Hope you enjoy. Comments?