‹ Prequel: Super Avenged

Super Avenged: Only Human

Development

“Of all the time in the world, Matt decides to call now,” Jimmy grumbled, pulling his cell phone out of his back pocket. His other hand held my hair back out of my face as I emptied the contents of my stomach into the toilet. I spat into the toilet and leaned back away from it as Jimmy took Matt’s call. He sat on the edge of the bathtub next to the toilet, being a helpful husband.

“Hey, Matt,” Jimmy answered, bracing his phone against his ear with his shoulder and rubbing my back soothingly with his now free hand. “Well, now’s not really the best time. Miya has the flu or something, I don’t really know. She’s throwing up now, though.”

He paused as Matt responded. I leaned forward again and threw up into the toilet again. I honestly felt like crying. I hated being sick, especially throwing up. I could live an entire lifetime without throwing up, I think, and not miss out on a thing.

“Miya, will you be okay?” Jimmy asked me. I could hear the concern in his voice. I nodded silently, wiping away the thin layer of sweat that formed across my forehead. My hand shook as I reached up and grabbed a towel to wipe off my mouth. “I’ll be there soon.” With that, Jimmy hung up the phone. He leaned down to my level and gently pressed a kiss to my forehead. “I’ll be back as soon as I can, okay?”

“Yeah,” I whispered weakly, reaching up to flush the toilet. Jimmy gave me a quick hug before stepping out of the bathroom. I struggled to my feet and brushed my teeth to get the sickening taste out of my mouth. I certainly wouldn’t have an appetite for a little while.

I walked out into the living room and stretched out on the couch because it was closer to the bathroom than our bed was. I groaned loudly and flung my forearm across my eyes. I really hated this sick business.

For the past couple of weeks, every morning it would be the same routine: I’d wake up and find myself having to throw up. It was like I had morning sickness or something. It had been about a month since Jimmy and I decided to start a family, and since then I never really felt up to trying again. The nausea persisted throughout the entire day, and I began to wonder whether this wasn’t just a normal flu. Now that I thought about it, I also missed my period this past month. I hadn’t really paid much attention to it then, but now I began to wonder.

I’d bought a few pregnancy tests once Jimmy and I decided to have a family. I forced myself to climb off of the couch and walk back into the bathroom. I opened the cupboard underneath the sink and grabbed one of the pregnancy test boxes. With a sigh, I opened the box and closed the bathroom door.

Here goes nothing.

((*****))

It felt like forever before Jimmy finally stepped in the front door. He dropped down onto the couch beside me, resting his arm across the back of the couch. He leaned over and rested his head on my shoulder, closing his eyes. He looked worn out; the person they fought must’ve really given them a run for their money. Well, he wouldn’t be worn out for much longer.

“So, are you feeling better?” he mumbled, sliding his arm from the couch to my shoulders, his fingertips brushing gently against my arm.

“Yeah,” I answered simply. “But there’s been a new development.”

“Please tell me someone didn’t attack you again, because I don’t think I could go through all that again,” Jimmy grumbled, opening his eyes to look up at my face. I smiled and shook my head no.

“No, Jimmy, this is a good development. I’ve figured out why I keep getting sick,” I said.

“I always knew you should eat more vegetables.”

“No, it’s not my diet, silly,” I replied, my smile growing wider. “It’s something much different.”

I gently rested my hand over the back of his. I lifted his hand and placed it on my stomach. Jimmy looked a little confused, and became interested enough to raise his head from my shoulder. I smiled wider.

“Welcome to fatherhood, Jimmy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, only the epilogue left. =}