‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Welcome Back

Sunday June 19, 2016

“Daddy?” I whispered, poking his nose. Jakey was crying in his crib. I clutched onto my teddy bear under the blankets in Daddy’s bed. I sleep in here a lot now. Daddy snored and I giggled. “Daddy,” I said again. His eyes opened and he smiled.

“Hey Ally-Baby,” he said. He sat up when he heard Jakey crying and pulled the blankets off. He picked Jakey up and changed his diaper while talking quietly to him. “Are you ready to go back to school tomorrow?”

“I don’t really want to but I miss my friends.” I said.

“It’s only for another week and then school will be over and it will be summer.” He said, walking back to the bed with Jakey.

“I know,” I said. “Can I hold Jakey?”

“Sit up.” He said. I sat up straight at the top of the bed as Daddy put Jakey in my arms. He had really dark hair just like Daddy.

“He’s so soft.” I whispered, touching his cheek.

“You were too when you were a baby.” Daddy said. “Come on, it smells like Auntie Lana made some breakfast.”

“Okay.” I said. He took Jakey back and I climbed out of the bed, walking downstairs. Uncle Nick and Auntie Lana were in the kitchen talking. “Morning!” I said, jumping into Uncle Nick’s arms. He hugged me tight and set me back down. “Where’s Lucky?”

“She’s outside lying in the sun.” Uncle Nick said, bringing me to the back door so I could see. I smiled at Lucky and looked back over to Daddy.

“What’s for breakfast?” I asked.

“Pancakes.” Auntie Lana said, smiling at me. “Do you want some Joe?”

“I’m not hungry.” He said, standing up and getting a bottle for Jakey.

“Daddy, they’re really good. Try one of mine.”

“No thanks baby. Really, I’m fine.”

“Joe, you have to eat.” Uncle Nick said.

“Nick, I think I know when I need to eat. Back off.”

“Okay, okay.” Uncle Nick said, holding his hands up. Daddy covered his face with his hand and sighed.

“I’m sorry guys… I just…”

“We know.” Auntie Lana said, giving him a hug. “So you’re going back to work tomorrow right?”

“Unfortunately. Are you sure you can take Jake into work with you?”

“Positive. It won’t be a problem at all.” She said, smiling.

“Daddy who’s going to take me to school tomorrow?” I asked.

“Uncle Nick will, with Uncle Logan.” He said.

“Are the camera people going to be there?” I asked pouting. I don’t like the camera people.

“Yes, I’m sure they will be. That’s why Uncle Logan’s going too.” He said, sounding angry.

“I don’t like the camera people.”

“I know you don’t baby.” He said, coming over and kissing my forehead. “Do you want to sleep in your room tonight?”

“No.” I said. “I don’t want to sleep alone. I get nightmares.”

“Okay… you can sleep in Daddy’s room for as long as you want.” He said, hugging me now. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him back.

****

Monday, June 20, 2016
Lexi’s first day back at school


“Ready to go to school Lexi girl?” Uncle Nick asked when I finished eating breakfast.

“Yeah, I wish I could have said bye to Daddy.” I pouted, putting my backpack on.

“I know sweetie but he had to go to work early. You can still say goodbye to Jakey and Auntie Lana.” He said. I smiled and went upstairs to say goodbye.

“Bye Auntie Lana.” I said, hugging her legs.

“Bye sweetie. Have a good day.” She said, picking me up so I could say goodbye to Jakey.

“Bye Jakey.” I said, giving him a kiss. I walked back downstairs to Uncle Nick and Uncle Logan. “I’m ready.”

“Alright, I have to carry you to the car.” Uncle Nick said, picking me up.

“Why?”

“There are a lot of camera people out there and I want to keep you safe.” He said and I nodded my head.

I buried my face in his neck when Uncle Logan opened the door because the camera people started taking pictures and there were flashes everywhere. I covered my ears because they were really loud asking a lot of questions.

“Can’t you give this family some peace?” I heard Uncle Logan shout as Uncle Nick walked. Uncle Nick got me in the car and strapped me into the seat and climbed in next to me.

“Lexi, why are you crying?” he asked, wiping away my tears.

“I don’t like them.” I whispered. “They don’t go away. It wasn’t this bad before… I miss Mommy.”

“We all do sweetie.” He said, hugging me. “They will go away soon.”

“Promise?” I asked, sniffling back tears.

“I promise.” He said as Uncle Logan started driving.

When we got to school there were more camera people there. I wasn’t happy. Uncle Logan got as close to the door as possible while Uncle Nick got me out of my car seat. He grabbed my backpack and carried me again, holding me tight. Uncle Logan got us into the school where the principal, Mr. Geller and Miss Miller were waiting for us. Uncle Nick set me down once we were inside. Miss Miller came over and hugged me.

“Hi Lexi, it’s good to see you. We missed you.”

“I missed everyone too.” I said quietly, looking up at Uncle Nick.

“I’m Lexi’s uncle, Nick Jonas.” He said, shaking Mr. Geller’s hand.

“Mr. Jonas, we’re sorry for your family’s loss.” Mr. Geller said.

“Thank you. My brother would have been here to drop her off but he had to go to work early. I’ll probably be the one to pick her up and drop her off for the week.”

“That’s just fine. And who’s this?”

“This is Logan Danes, one of our bodyguards.”

“Hello,” Uncle Logan said, shaking Mr. Geller and Miss Millers hands. “If it’s not too much trouble… I would like to stay here during the week. I didn’t think the paparazzi issue would be this big and my main concern is to keep Lexi safe or Joe would have my neck.”

“Of course,” Mr. Geller said. “Now Lexi, you better get to class, your friends are waiting to see you.”

“Bye Uncle Nick,” I said hugging him. He knelt down so he was as tall as me and hugged me back.

“I’ll be back after school. Okay?”

“Okay,” I said. He kissed my cheek and stood up.

“Lexi, I’m going to take Uncle Nick to work. I’ll be back real soon to keep the camera people away.” He said and I nodded.

Miss Miller took my hand and brought me to our classroom. I walked in, feeling shy. They were my friends but it was weird, they all looked up when I walked in.

“Class, look who’s back,” Miss Miller said smiling. She took my backpack for me and put it in my cubby. Everyone just looked at me. I felt like I was going to cry. Rachel was the first one to do anything. She walked over to me and gave me a hug.

“I’m sorry Lexi. I really liked your Mommy. She was nice.” She said as I sat next to her at our table. I just nodded and started working on the worksheet Miss Miller gave us.

****

Joe’s POV

I had to leave for work before Lexi woke up. Apparently, they needed me early and I wasn’t too happy about it. I got to the studio lot and Miranda, my assistant, was waiting for me on set.

“Welcome back,” she said quietly, handing me some of my things. “Everyone’s ready to start shooting in fifteen minutes.”

“Thanks,” I said, climbing into my chair.

The day was going smoothly so far but all I could think of was Lexi and Jake… especially Lexi being back at school. I know paparazzi are everywhere; there were at least 20 of them outside the studio gates when I got here this morning and a few outside the house when I left. I can’t live like this anymore… I can’t let them live like this I thought as Lexi and Jake’s faces popped into my head. We need to get out of L.A.

****

When it was time for recess, Miss Miller brought us outside. Uncle Logan had been standing outside the classroom doors and walked with us to stand outside. He stood next to the playground, looking around for the camera people. Rachel and I were playing hop-scotch when someone came out of the bushes.

“Hi Alexandra,” he said, smiling at me. “I’m sorry about your Mommy.”

Rachel and I stopped playing and looked at each other. I looked over my shoulder to Uncle Logan but he was turned around.

“It’s okay, don’t be scared. I just want to talk to you about your Mommy.” He said, I shook my head no. He came closer with a camera. He snapped a picture and I cried.

“Miss Miller!” Rachel said.

“Hey!” Uncle Logan shouted. He ran over and knocked the guy to the ground. I cried harder and Miss Miller came over, wrapping her arms around me. “What did you do to her?”

“N-nothing! I just took a picture. She wasn’t talking. I just wanted an interview.” The guy said. “Hey!”

“Sh, Lexi, it’s okay. It’s okay.” Miss Miller said, hugging me.

“I want Daddy,” I cried.

****

Joe’s POV

“Where is she?” I asked, out of breath as I ran into the office of Lexi’s school.

“In the principal’s office with him and Mr. Danes,” the assistant said, pointing to the door across the hall. I walked over and opened the door without knocking.

“Ally-Baby,” I sighed when I saw her sitting in Logan’s lap. She jumped down and ran into my arms. I picked her up, smoothing her hair down and kissed her forehead. “What happened?”

“I had my back turned for a second.” Logan said, putting his head in his hands. “The kids were outside for recess and she was playing with one of her friends. I turned around to make sure no one was coming behind me. A few seconds later I heard her scream and her friend called for the teacher. I ran over there as fast as I could and tackled the guy. He said he wanted an interview with her and he got a photo. I tried taking his camera but the guy had a good grip on it so I punched him out and grabbed the camera, taking out the film. I burned it… it’s gone… melted.”

“Thanks Logan.” I said, putting a hand on his shoulder. “This isn’t your fault.”

“Mr. Jonas… we can’t have another incident like this happening. I know you can’t help it but we need to keep all of the children safe. We need to set guidelines for these last four days.” Mr. Geller said.

“Alright,” I said, nodding my head.

“Rules?” Lexi asked, her voice cracking from crying.

“Yeah honey, special rules.”

“First of all, Mr. Danes will need to be here every day.” Mr. Geller said.

“No problem.” Logan said.

“Second, Lexi, you will have to stay inside for recess.” He said and Lexi pouted but nodded her head. “Third… for the kindergarten graduation… I’m sure the rest of your family would like to come as well?”

“Of course,” I said, nodding my head.

“Is it possible to have extra security?” he asked.

“Definitely. We have some of the best security.” I said.

“Alright… You can bring Lexi home early today if you’d like.” He said, smiling at her.

“I want to go home Daddy.” She said sadly.

“Ok, let’s go. Thank you Mr. Geller.” I said, shaking his hand. I picked Lexi up, backpack and all and the three of us left the office. Logan covered us as we walked out of the school, Lexi held tightly to my body. I had to take her in my car with Logan driving in front of us separately.
We were able to make it home without being followed. Of course… there were more waiting for us at the house. I groaned as I pulled the car into the garage, the door shutting… almost landing on some guys foot. I hit my head to the steering wheel and made a frustrated sound.

“What’s wrong Daddy?” Lexi asked.

“Daddy’s just upset honey.” I answered, turning to look at her. We have to move.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwwwww poor Lexi =[

Wait a second.... We have to move? We have to move?

OMG We have to move. Joe's going to take the kids and move?!?!

Where to I wonder... oh wait... I know!

It's up to you readers to guess. Where do you think Joe is going to take Lexi and Jake

This is not an 'if'. Joe is definitely going to move

New-ish story!!
My Girl
Check it out.

Thank you so much for reading! You guys amaze me more and more each day =]

C/R/S

~Steph <3