‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

All I Want For Christmas

December 20, 2016

“Daddy I want to see Santa,” I said as we walked through the mall near home. Chloe was babysitting Jake so Daddy and I could have a day together.

“Okay Ally-Baby. I see him right there, up ahead.” He said, pointing in front of us.

The line of kids waiting to see him wasn’t too long. Daddy and I got in line and he picked me up so I could see Santa. There he was, in his red suit with the white on his hat. I looked around at all the kids in line and saw them all wearing scarves and hats… some must have just come inside because they had snow on their clothes and in their hair. There was fake snow falling down over Santa’s palace. I saw elves out on the ground with some deer and the trees were covered in lights. It was beautiful.

“Magic.” I whispered. Daddy looked up at me and poked my nose.

“What was that?”

“I said it’s like magic.” I said, pointing at the animals.

“Yeah, it’s pretty isn’t it?”

“Beautiful…”

The line moved forward and soon Daddy and I were next in line. There was a little boy ahead of me, sitting on Santa’s lap. I waited for my turn, finally the boy was done and one of Santa’s Helpers took my hand and brought me to Santa. I waved to Daddy where he stood to wait for me and the helper put me on Santa’s lap.

“Hello little girl,” Santa said in a cheery voice. “What’s your name?”

“Alexandra.” I said, smiling at him.

“Well Alexandra, what do you want for Christmas?”

“If I tell you… will you promise to not tell my Daddy?” I asked, looking over my shoulder. Daddy smiled and waved and I turned to look back at Santa.

“Well… that depends. Have you been a good girl this year?”

“I think so. I’ve helped Daddy with Jakey ever since Mommy left and I’m going to school and I made new friends… I just want one thing Santa… and it’s not just for me.”

“Well, it sounds like you’ve been good. What is it you want?”

I wagged my finger so he’d come closer. I lifted up the flap of his hat so I could whisper to him. Even thought Daddy was far away I wanted to be extra sure he couldn’t hear.

“I want to know Mommy is still watching over me and Jakey and Daddy. I just want something to happen that is something she would do. That’s all I want… I don’t really care about presents.” I whispered. He pulled away and looked down at me.

“I’ll see what I can do.” He whispered.

“Merry Christmas Santa.” I said, climbing off his lap.

“Merry Christmas.”

I walked over to Daddy and he was smiling. He held out his hand for mine and we started walking. I looked over my shoulder at Santa; he was talking to another little girl now.

“So did he ask if you were a good girl?” Daddy asked as we passed the toy store.

“Yeah… I hope he knows I was good.”

“Oh he knows. He always knows.” Daddy said laughing.

****

December 24, 2016
Christmas Eve


It was Christmas Eve afternoon. Lucky was playing under the Christmas tree and Daddy was making hot chocolate. Jakey was in his pen, sleeping. It was snowing outside and it looked really pretty.

“Daddy?”

“Yes?” he asked, coming into the living room with our hot chocolate. He sat on the couch next to me and I snuggled into his side.

“Can we watch White Christmas? You know… Mommy’s favorite movie?”

“Oh… sure. If that’s what you want to watch we can watch it together before bed.”

“Yeah… that’s what I want.”

****

After dinner Daddy put Jakey to bed. I climbed onto the couch and pulled one of the blankets over me. Daddy came back downstairs and put the movie in and then sat next to me. I snuggled into his side again and he wrapped his arm around me. I used his tummy as a pillow.

My favorite part of the movie is at the end when everybody is all together and singing and laughing. When they open the doors and it’s finally snowing is so pretty. I looked outside and even though it was really dark I could still see snow. I thought of something but waited until the movie ended to talk to Daddy.

“Time for bed. We want to be sure Santa comes.”

“Daddy?”

“What is it Ally-Baby?”

“I’m worried.”

“Why is that?” he asked as we walked upstairs to my room.

“What if it just keeps snowing so much that the clouds cover the sky? Mommy won’t be able to see us from Neverland. I really want her to see us for Christmas.” I said pouting.

“Well, just remember the song sweetie. Count your blessings.”

“What does that mean?” I asked, climbing under my blankets.

“Think of all the good things in your life that you’re really happy for and list them off. You’ll fall asleep in no time. Now why don’t you try that so you can get some sleep.” He said, leaning over and kissing my forehead. “Goodnight. I love you.”

“I love you too.” I said, smiling as he closed the door behind him.

I turned my head on my pillow and looked outside at the snow. Daddy… Jakey… Lucky… Gran and Gramp and Uncle Frankie… Grandma and Grandpa… Uncle Kevin, Aunt Lauren, and Brody… Uncle Nick, Auntie Lana, and the babies… all of my aunts and uncles… my old friends and new friends, especially Gabby… Miss Maguire… Luke and Chloe… I fell asleep after that and dreamt of playing in the snow and of Mommy…

****

December 25, 2016
Christmas morning
Joe’s POV


When I woke up… I swear I could smell something coming from the kitchen. There’s no way it could be possible though… unless Lexi suddenly learned how to cook. I climbed out of bed, stuffing my feet into my slippers and walked down the hallway. I peeked in on Jake and he was still sleeping and I did the same with Lexi. She was still asleep too.

That’s when I started freaking out. Now that I was out of my room I could clearly smell something cooking in the kitchen. I tip-toed down the stairs, trying to avoid the creaks and snuck my way into the kitchen. There was no one in there. I walked over to the stove and inside was the breakfast casserole that Lyss always made Christmas morning. Eggs, sausage, cheese, croutons… it was exact.

That’s when I spotted the crisp white envelope addressed to me on the table.

Joe,

I hope I didn’t freak you out. Lexi asked Santa for something completely different from anything I would have expected in my wildest dreams. All she wanted for Christmas was to know that Melissa was still watching over the three of you. She said she didn’t care about presents. So, being the good Santa Claus I am, I did a little research and called your brother, Kevin.

I told him about Lexi’s request and I wanted to know something Melissa would do on Christmas that would be familiar to her. That’s how I found out about the breakfast. He then put me on the phone with Lauren who gave me the recipe.

I used the spare key you told me you had hidden so I would know where it is in case of emergencies. I thought this was an emergency; saving a six year old girl from having a broken heart on Christmas. You don’t have to thank me. This is my gift to your family this Christmas as a friend. I’m sure I’ll see you later this week.

Happy Holidays.
Luke


I couldn’t help but get choked up as I read Luke’s note. I had no idea he was the one playing Santa at the mall. I just thought it was some old guy or something that was retired but enjoyed making kids happy. I stumbled backwards into the countertop and a tear dropped from my face onto the paper I held in my shaking hands. Pull yourself together I thought, taking a deep breath.

“Daddy?” Lexi asked, coming into the kitchen, her blanket trailing behind her in her grasp, wiping her eyes with her free hand. “Why does it smell like Mommy’s special breakfast?”

“Well… it’s because it is Mommy’s special breakfast.” I said, taking it out of the oven and showing her.

“Did you make it?” she asked, looking up at me.

“No. Um… I woke up and there it was.”

“Santa!” she cried, jumping up and down.

“What?” I asked, playing along.

“I asked Santa for a way to know Mommy was still looking over us so he got her special breakfast from Neverland because he knew she’d make it for Christmas!”

“Aw, baby, that’s all you asked for?”

“That’s all I really wanted Daddy.” She said, giving me a hug.

****

Christmas night
Still Joe’s POV


Lexi fell asleep early. Her present from me was her very own copies of Jonas Brothers CDs. I figured I’d let her decide on her own if she’d want to listen to them. Of course she wanted to listen right away and she played them in order, listening intently to the songs. She said she’d want to learn them on piano. I had completely forgotten about how she wanted to play piano and made a mental note to get a real piano for the house so she could start playing that instead of her miniature one from Nick.

Now I was trying to get Jake to fall asleep. He was being extremely fussy but I had just fed him and changed his diaper. I brought him over to the rocking chair and tried singing his usual song, What A Wonderful World. Usually his eyes would droop right away but… not this time. I racked my brain for something to sing.

It occurred to me… that maybe I could sing one of our old songs. An old Jonas Brothers song that is. I racked my brain for a nice slow one that he could easily fall asleep to. That’s when Love Is On Its Way started pouring out from my lips.

I seemed to forget the lyrics at some parts but slowly remember them. He finally started quieting down and by the end of the song he had fallen asleep. I let out a sigh of relief as I gently stood up. He lay in his crib peacefully now. I ran a hand over my face and closed my eyes, exhaling loudly.

It’s been one hell of a year.

*******************************************************************************

If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep
Counting your blessings


Count Your Blessings - Bing Crosby
♠ ♠ ♠
LUKE <33333333333333333333333
Aw XD XD XD XD

So... White Christmas is my absolute, favorite Christmas movie ever. I plan on watching it on Saturday because it's Christmas in July XD haha

Readers, can you pretty please comment. I have been getting comments but they've been few. I just want to make sure you are all still interested in this story. Just so you know the next chapter is going to be VERY different. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter =]

CO-WRITTEN story!
Words I Couldn't Say
I'm writing this with xoAly and we're having so much fun! If you read it we hope you enjoy it XD

Thank you so much for reading!

C/R/S

~Steph <3