‹ Prequel: Worth Waiting For

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Let's Talk Turkey

Thursday, November 24, 2016
Thanksgiving Day
California


“I missed California.” I said as we rode in the car to Gran and Gramps house. Uncle Kevin was driving… we were staying with him, Aunt Lauren, and Brody.

“California missed you.” Aunt Lauren said, smiling at me.

“Daddy are Grandma and Grandpa going to be there too?” I asked. I hadn’t really seen anyone… just Uncle Kevin, Aunt Lauren, Brody, Uncle Nick, and Auntie Lana. I’m excited to see Gran, Gramp, and Uncle Frankie and I really want to see Grandma and Grandpa.

“Yes they are.” He said, turning to smile at me.

Uncle Kevin pulled into Gran and Gramp’s driveway. As soon as he shut the car off Gran had the front door open and was smiling. Aunt Lauren opened my door and I ran to Gran. She picked me up and gave me kisses all over my face and she hugged me tight. Gramp took me away from her and swung me around.

“Uncle Frankie!” I cried when I saw him. He smiled and gave me a big hug.

“Joseph,” Gran said, giving Daddy a big hug. I think she was crying.

“Geez Ma. Why are you crying?” he asked, wiping her tears away.

“It’s just so strange living so far away from you and not seeing you all the time.” She said, pinching Daddy’s cheeks. “Give me my grandson.”

Daddy handed her Jake and we all went inside. It smelled so good. Uncle Nick and Auntie Lana were there already. We all sat in the living room and I talked about school and my new friends and Gran smiled. Daddy showed her pictures of the house and pictures of some of the pictures he sold for work. While I was telling them about Luke and Chloe the doorbell rang. Uncle Kevin answered it and came back with Grandma and Grandpa.

“Grandma! Grandpa!” I shouted, running over to them.

“There’s my little princess.” Grandpa said, giving me a hug.

****

Joe’s POV

My mother, Mom, Laur, and Lana were in the kitchen, fussing over our feast. Frankie was being a great uncle and playing with Lexi and Brody. I sat on the couch with Kevin, holding a smiling Jake in my lap. His blue eyes were shining bright and his tiny hands were wrapped around my fingers. Nick was proudly showing all us men pictures of Lana’s latest sonogram of the twins.

“So, you excited?” I asked. He looked over his shoulder at Lexi and Brody and back over to me and Jake.

“Excited, nervous… every other emotion in between.” He said laughing.

“It gets better after the first month or so.” Kevin said, shrugging his shoulders. “Then again, I’ve never experienced twins.”

“Well… you started with a boy… and Joe you started with a girl. So, mix things together and I’m sure I’ll know everything.”

“Oh no… you can’t know everything.” My father said laughing.

“It’s quite impossible.” Dad said, nodding his head.

“Well, first of all… boys do pee on you. So just be careful.” Kevin said and I nodded my head.

“And little girls will have you wrapped around their finger the moment your eyes meet theirs.” I said, looking over at Lexi. “Trust me.”

“Oh I already knew that one.” Nick said laughing.

“Crap!”

We all turned our heads to the kitchen after hearing Lauren’s exclamation. Kevin stood up to see what was wrong but Lana came out pushing him back in here.

“Everything okay in there?” my father asked.

“Yeah… just the normal Jonas family mishap.” Lana said laughing.

“I’m sure nothing can compare to that time Mel burned the turkey.” Nick said, starting to laugh. The others started laughing along and to my surprise… so did I.

It was 2012… Lexi was two. Lyss decided she wanted to host Thanksgiving this year. She woke up extremely early to start cooking the turkey. When I woke up alone I completely forgot it was Thanksgiving and freaked out. I thought something was wrong with Lexi so I ran into Lexi’s room to find her standing in her crib smiling at me.

“Dadda!” she cried when she saw me, reaching her arms up.

“Hey Ally-Baby,” I breathed, picking her up and giving her a kiss. “Let’s go find Mommy.”

“Morning,” Kevin said, coming out of his and Lauren’s room.

“Hey… Lauren still sleeping?”

“Nah, she got up a few hours ago.” He said, tickling Lexi, a smile on his face.

“Women,” I muttered shaking my head and laughing. Kevin and I got downstairs to find Lyss and Lauren passed out on the couches in the living room. He grabbed blankets and covered them while I went to grab some food for Lexi.

A few hours later the families had arrived and we were all sitting out on the back deck, enjoying the nice day we had been graced with. Lexi was down on the ground, crouching and observing some sort of insect or just a blade of grass. Lyss sat in a chair next to me, her hand on my knee while my arm was wrapped around her shoulders. Everyone was talking and having a good time.

“So, Laur, when do you think you and Kev will get to procreating?” Lyss asked with a bit of humor.

“When we’re ready. We want to move out of here first. The place is crowded enough with the five of us.” She said.

“When will that be?” I asked and Kevin nudged me with his elbow.

“Hey, you know we’ve been looking!” he said.

“I was kidding guys!” I said, holding my hands up defensively.

“Um guys?” Frankie asked, looking towards the house. “The kitchen’s all smokey.”

“Oh my God!” Lyss exclaimed, jumping up. “The turkey!”

She ran into the house, Lauren and Kevin following her. Lexi had heard the commotion and started climbing up the stairs to the deck. I dashed to her and picked her up.

“I don’t think so Ally-Baby.” I said, poking her stomach. “Stay with Uncle Nick.”

I handed her to Nick and he instantly smiled and played with her. I walked into the kitchen and started coughing from the smoke which was slowly dissipating. Lyss was standing by the sink and I could see a blackened mound being covered with water and she had tears in her eyes. I looked out to the doors to Nick, Lana, my parents, Lyss’ parents, Lauren’s parents, Frankie, and Lexi and back inside to Kevin and Lauren standing in the doorway to the dining room and back to Lyss.

“Baby,” I said calmly, walking over to her and wrapping my arms around her waist.

“It’s ruined!” she cried, burying her head in my chest.

“Hey, it’s okay.” I said, rubbing soothing circles on her back.

“No it’s not okay.” She sobbed. “This was supposed to be perfect. I can’t believe I did that.”

“Listen we can fix this. We can have a non-traditional Thanksgiving.” I said.

“And what do you suggest?” she sniffled.

I led her out to the deck and motioned for Kevin and Lauren to follow. I looked around to our families and back to the kitchen again.

“Well… unfortunately, we won’t be having turkey today. Grab your car keys… we’re going to get the finest Chinese we can find.”

Lauren laughed, followed by Lana, then Nick and Kevin… then our parents and slowly Lyss started to laugh too. I think it was Lexi laughing that made her laugh.


“Dinner is served,” Lauren said, leading us to the kitchen.

“Hey, you alright?” Kevin asked, clapping a hand down on my shoulder. “You seemed out of it.”

“Oh… yeah I’m fine. I was just remembering that time Lyss burned the turkey.” I said smiling.

“That was a fun day wasn’t it?” he asked, smiling at the memory as well.

“Probably my favorite Thanksgiving ever.” I said.

“Mine too.” He said, patting my back.

He lifted Brody into his high chair and Lexi climbed into the seat next to mine. My mother, Lauren, Lana, and Mom brought out a few last minute things before taking their seats. My father stood up to say the prayer and I looked around the table at my family and counted seats.

“Wait a second.” I said.

“What is it?” my mother asked.

“Why is there one extra setting?” I asked, looking at the empty place between Nick and Frankie.

“It just… didn’t seem right… leaving her out.” She whispered, looking at me with sadness in her eyes. Everyone’s heads turned to the spot and I saw a few tears fall here and there. Lexi put her hand on top of mine on the table and I turned and kissed her forehead.

Dad started in on the prayer, mentioning Melissa and how God was watching over her. I reached over to give Jake his pacifier when he started to fuss during the prayer. I remembered that Thanksgiving again, and thought how no other one could ever compare.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awwwwwwwwwwwww

That's sooooo something I would do... forget about the turkey and let it burn. Guess what's next.... Christmas! Woot!

Hey guys... ever read a co-written story? Do you want to read one? Well, you're in luck if you do! xoAly and I have started our very first (and probably last) co-written story!
It's called Words I Couldn't Say and we have three chapters up for it so far. Aly is writting chapter 4 and so far... we really like it so we want people to read it so check it out!

Thanks so much for reading everyone. You guys rock! =]

C/R/S

~Steph <3