Baby, I Think I Love You

Baby, You Got The Keys

“Jade, please don’t cry,” Edwin murmured softly, pulling away to look at me. I wiped my eyes, shaking my head.

“Edwin, my son hates his stepfather! What am I supposed to do?” I sobbed, biting my lip as it trembled. I tore myself from Edwin and collapsed back on my chair. “I don’t know what I’m supposed to do!” I threw my face in my hands, trying to steady my breaths. I did not want to cry.

“It’s not your fault! Really, it’s not,” he promised, tilting my chin up so I was looking him in the eyes. “Jasper should have been around him more. That has nothing to do with you, do you hear me? Nothing. You’re the best mother he could have ever asked for.”

“Eddy, you’re so sweet,” I mumbled, kissing his cheek. Edwin helped me up.

“Do you want a ride home? I know that you and Quinn had a fight...” He smiled slightly.

“You’re still listening to the crazy thoughts running through my head?” I smiled back, teasing him. He suddenly got a serious look on his face.

“I’m just making sure that nothing happens to you,” he whispered, sending chills up my spine. I shook it off.

“I’ll go get Monique,” I murmured, taking a deep breath. He smiled.

“Of course. I’ll get Avery.”

Monique bantered on about how much she detested weekends while we walked to Edwin’s silver Jaguar.

“Baby, he loves you. Why can’t you give him a break and just forgive him?” I begged. “It kills him to see the way you shirk him off. He’s your father.”

“He broke your heart,” she hissed. “He is no father of mine, and he never will be. He didn’t even want me in the first place!”

“Monique!” I grabbed her hand and pushed her into the car. “I don’t want you to hold that against him! Jasper is amazing, and Edwin is an amazing father. He’s in our lives, too, and I enjoy that. You should as well.”

“Whatever,” she mumbled, hanging her head. I shut her door, hurrying back in. Edwin handed me Avery and I smiled as he complained.

“I can walk,” he grumbled. I smirked, setting him down. He immediately dashed to the car, ignoring his sister’s terrible mood.

“I tried, Edwin. I really did,” I murmured as we walked to the Jaguar.

“I appreciate it, but I don’t blame her. She can hate me for as long as she wants. I deserve so much more than that for even considering cheating on you, so I can handle this.” Edwin took in a breath, shaking his head. “Let’s just drop it, okay?”

“Fine, I give up. Happy?”

“Oh my God!” he exclaimed with mock shock. “I’ve never heard you say those words! You mean I actually win for once?” I scowled.

“Oh, shut up and drive!” I hissed teasingly as we got in the car. He grinned. “What?”

“I’m a good girl gone bad, Jade,” he whispered seriously. I was freaking out.

What?” I shrieked, staring wide-eyed at him.

His hand moved slowly to the radio before he turned it up, playing a CD. He took in a deep breath.

“Cuz I'm 0 to 60 in three-point-five! Baby, you got the keys—Now shut up and drive! Shut up and drive!” he sang loudly as Avery laughed in the backseat.

I sank into my seat, blocking him from my view with my hand, giggling despite myself. I saw his hand moving slowly, dramatically to the door.

“Don’t you dare!” I screamed, but it was too late.

The windows rolled down.

“Oh, dear Lord!” I cried as he sang as loud—and as horribly—as he possibly could, blaring the music.

And we were in a nicely populated town, too!

“Jade, I’m such a pimp!” he screamed in the middle, laughing his ass off.

“Somebody just shoot me already!”