Baby, I Think I Love You

I Can Resist All But Temptation

“Thanks for driving me home. I can’t wait until I can finally drive again!” I whined, smiling as I unlocked the front door. Edwin smirked.

“Maybe next time you won’t disobey the man.”

“But the man is always keeping me down!” I exclaimed, shoving the door open. “Do you and the kids want to stay for a little bit? Monique should probably feed her hedgehog.”

Edwin nodded, walking in after me. Monique darted up to her room, but Avery ran to the living room, immediately turning on the TV and his video gaming system. I smiled, following him with Edwin at my heels.

“Is this all he does all day?” Edwin whispered to me. I giggled.

“Yeah. But what does he do at your house?”

“...He plays his portable one.”

I smacked his arm teasingly and he smirked, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, shit!” I hissed, jumping up and dashing to the kitchen. I’d completely forgotten!

“Jade! What’s wrong?” Edwin asked, darting in after me, a worried look on his face as I scurried across the room.

“I need to clean this place up! Jasper has some clients coming over later! I have to make dinner, too... Oh, boy,” I sighed, throwing the dirty dishes into the sink. “He always brings over humans, so I have to actually clean dishes.”

“Here, I’ll help,” Edwin offered, taking a plate out of my hand.

“Oh, I couldn’t make you do that. You’re my guest.”

“Jade, we’re practically family.”

He meant it as a joke, but the awkward silence set in as we cleaned. I attempted to smile, but he bit his lip. I tried to tell him I knew what he meant, but he shook his head.

I felt terrible for what I had done to him, but he had cheated on me. He’d fucked another woman... even though he said he didn’t. I’d taken Jasper’s side and I would have to stick with it even if it made me feel uneasy.

“Thanks for helping. I’ll just throw a turkey in the oven,” I told him, trying to break the silence as I grabbed dinner.

“Jade, I’m really sorry. I know being around me must be less than pleasant,” Edwin murmured suddenly. I glanced back at him, shaking my head. He looked miserable.

“Eddie, I love having you around, really. I do. Don’t act like you’re a burden,” I begged, stepping up to him and hugging him. “Avery is lucky that you stuck around.”

He hesitantly hugged me. I smiled softly, burying my face in his tight, navy blue shirt.

“He loves you, Edwin. I hope you know that he loves you so much,” I mumbled into his chest, not able to stop smiling. Avery and Edwin were too cute. I could remember how... right it had looked when Edwin had held him for the first time—like it was meant to be.

“Jade...” Edwin took in a shaky breath and I looked up at him. His voice was but a quiet whisper. “I love you.”

His eyes were full of pain and it looked like he was sinking further into depression. Not able to bear the sight any longer I averted my gaze, looking at the floor. I took in a deep breath, glancing up at him. I was ready to tell him that he should go.

But just as I opened my mouth and took in a breath, I gasped. His lips crashed to mine urgently. I tried to get him off, knowing that Jasper would kill me, but I felt my back collide with the wall as Edwin pressed his body against mine, pinning me there.

But his lips were so cold, so pleasant. They were as perfect as I had remembered them. I couldn’t help it!

I twisted my fist in his hair, pulling him as close as I could and just begging him to kiss me more. A lot more. Edwin’s breaths got raspy and I felt his entire body stiffen before he tore his lips from mine. I went to cry out, begging him to come back, but I let out a shaky breath when he kissed my collarbone roughly, grabbing my hips and crushing them against his. My thoughts scrambled and I ripped his shirt off, kissing his chest before kissing his lips again.

“I love you so fucking much,” Edwin mumbled against my lips, moving his hands to the small of my back.

“Eddy...I miss you.”

I heard the door creak open and I stole a glance to the doorway to see Avery peering in, a soft smile on his face. Edwin glanced over, too, and smiled, kissing my forehead.

It made my son so happy to see Edwin and me, but I knew it wasn’t right. I couldn’t betray Jasper like that.

But it had killed me to send him home with just a small kiss on the cheek.