Sequel: Was I The Only One?
Status: Active

It's Not A Love Song

We're the Jonas Brothers

I pushed my sunglasses up onto my head and tied all my hair back into a loose bun at the nape of my neck whilst walking forward towards the front door behind my mom. “Stupid short notice.” I mumbled folding my arms over my chest as she rang the doorbell.

Kevin answered the door and I was immediate hit with the smell of chicken and the sound of music playing with loud chattering over it. Kevin gave us both a hug and me a knowing smirk, I glared at him and entered the well designed house.

“Those are interesting leggings for dinner, Julia.” Kevin grinned at me.

I sighed, “Mom wouldn’t take me home to change, so shopping outfit it is.” I said with a pout.

But then, one thing managed to put a massive smile on my face. Joe came around the corner in regular Levi jeans, a black long sleeved v-neck with a black hat on the back of his head. He took my breath away as he sauntered towards me with his signature strut and a smile on his lips.

“Hello.” He grinned wrapping his arms around me.

I smiled as I inhaled the scent of Prada cologne. “Hey.” I replied, burying my face into his shoulder.

I felt his fingers pick up some of my hair and then let it fall through as if it were sand. “Oh my god, your hair smells so nice.”

I laughed, “This new shampoo called Aussie. It’s like, peaches, Avocado oil and some kangaroo flower thing. Nice isn’t it?”

“It smells like candy. Can I eat your hair?” He asked with the most serious look on his face, so serious I had to laugh.

“No, come on.”

I patted his butt then pushed him towards the family room by his shoulders. He chuckled in short laughs at me then just as we were about to step into the room he stopped completely making me feel like I was pushing against a brick wall as he leaned all his weight on me. I smirked and stepped to the side out of the way of him thinking it would make him stumble backwards.

Instead, he fell backwards towards the floor and grabbed the back of my t-shirt bringing me down with him as revenge. We both landed next to each other on the soft carpeted floor with an ‘oof’.

“Kids, get up off the floor. Honestly.” Denise sighed, stepping over us with two cups of coffee.

Joe and I looked at each other and stifled our laughter. “Sorry mommy.” Joe said pushing himself up onto his knees then jumping up to his feet.

He held out his hand for me which I gratefully took but instead of letting go of my hand his pushed his fingers through mine and led me over to the sofa making my heart race and a blush creep to my cheeks. We sat down simultaneously, sinking into the comfortable leather.

It was only now I noticed Emma and Nick sat together on the opposite sofa, Nick with his arm around the back of the sofa looking as if he were relaxing but I could see his fingers dancing on her shoulder and occasionally brushing her neck.

I smiled and slightly elbowed Joe, he looked at me then I jerked my head towards them and watched his reaction. It took him a few moments to spot the small action Nick was giving to Emma but when he did he smiled, looking onwards at his younger brother with a proud expression.

Paul stood with his camera taking pictures of us all as we chatted, he came over to Joe and I.

“Ice burger!” We both said together, finishing Joe’s awful joke. I lifted our hands up and pointed to him with my finger while we laughed together open mouthed and happily.

Just then, Paul snapped a picture making us both look to him. “Let me see that.” Joe said holding out his hand.

His dad placed the camera in his hand, the picture already on the screen.

The picture showed mine and Joe’s relationship perfectly, we were holding hands showing we were a couple but laughing like two best friends. And of course, Joe looked stunningly beautiful. “I love that picture.” I said still looking at it.

“Me too.” Joe agreed handing the digital camera back to his dad.

“Dinner is ready.” Denise said, banging a spoon against the base of a pan from the kitchen.

Joe let go of my hand then stood up. I smiled angelically at him and held out my arms, he rolled his eyes with a smile and lifted me up from the sofa. He put his arm around my shoulder as we walked after Nick and Emma towards the dining room.

Being the gentleman he is, Joe pulled out my chair before he sat down setting Nick an example to do it for Emma who stood behind the chair beside me about to pull it out. Joe smiled and winked at Nick when he did do it for her. It made me smile when I saw Nick look to Joe for help on things like this, it just proves how good of an example and help Joe is to him.

We all joined hands to say grace then tucked into the delicious chicken and vegetable dinner Denise had made for us all to eat. “Cath, would you and Julia like to stay over?”

“Where would we sleep?” My mom asked, putting another carrot in her mouth to chew.

I laughed at my mom, “Where we always sleep when you stay too, I share with Joe and you go in the guest room. Duh.”

“Uh…” Denise said as everyone darted from eye contact with each other.

“Now that you and Joseph are dating, it’s different now.” Paul said, resting his elbows on the table and entwining his hands.

I shook my head, baffled at what they were getting at. “How, we’re still best friends? We’ve shared beds together since we were babies.”

“I know sweetie, but you’re dating now, the same ground rules apply for you as they did for the others girls our boys have dated.” Denise explained with a loving smile.

I frowned, but I wasn’t the same. I knew everything about him, I wasn’t about to jump into his pants, we were practically the same as we were beforehand but now we were more touchy feely.

“But we---”

I would have continued it Joe hadn’t cut me off by whispering into my ear, “Don’t worry about it, it’s not even worth it.”

I sighed sadly. It was worth it, to me at least. I liked being close to Joe and getting to cuddle him, I always had liked doing that. I felt that just because I had the title girlfriend that I was being victimised and pushed into the category when I shouldn’t be. I should be in the middle, best friend and girlfriend.

Once everyone had gotten back into less awkward conversation I leaned over to Joe and sighed, “They’re taking away my best friend rights here.”

Before Joe could say anything Denise piped up, “Joseph, can you help me clear the table. Kevin, please bring the deserts in.”

Joe sent me an apologetic smile as he stood up and began to collect in all the plates around the table while Kevin disappeared into the kitchen. I sat picking at my head, a bad habit of mine, while I waited for Joe to come back.

When he did arrive he slapped the back of my hand and I pouted, “Stop picking a hole in your head.”

I stuck my tongue out at him and grabbed a bowl of pavlova from Kevin. “You kids can eat else where if you like.”

We all stood up, Frankie included, and headed to what was most commonly referred to as the R&R room. Basically it’s a room with an extremely large square ‘sofa’ that was all connected with more sofa squares in the middle; almost like a giant bed.

“I call my corner!” Joe shouted rushing down to the R&R room that was previously the basement.

Everyone began to rush down to get a seat in plain view of the large pull down projection screen. Kevin being the sensible adult let everyone go inside first, assigning himself as operator or the DVD player.

I jumped over the back of the sofa next to Joe who had claimed the left corner of the sofa, everyone squeezed on so that we could all see the screen. Frankie lay across the middle on his stomach, Nick took the other corner with Emma to his left while I sat next to Joe who also sat in the adjacent corner.

“I’m here!”

I grinned as I heard Danielle’s voice below from the top of the stairs. “Perfect timing!” I shouted back to her, snapping off some pavlova with my spoon then scooping on some raspberries before placing the delicious meringue, cream and berries concoction into my awaiting mouth.

“Okay,” Kevin started, stopping to give Danielle a kiss who then jumped over the back of the sofa and sat in the middle. “We have the new Harry P—”

Before he could finish Emma let out a scream and jumped to her feet, wobbling as she tried to balance on the sofa. “You have Harry Potter six on DVD?” She shouted, her mouth agape and her eyes shining. “How the hell?”

Joe laughed, “We’re the Jonas Brothers.”

Emma’s face fell slightly as she blushed at the realisation of her idiocy. “Oh right… yeah.”

Slowly she sunk back down into her seat, “Well, that was entertaining.” I giggled quietly to Joe who smiled at me.

I looked down into his bowl and sighed, “You have whipped cream.”

Joe looked into my bowl where he saw normal cream with a slight bit of whipped cream left, I’d eaten the rest of it. I watched curiously as he dipped his fore finger in the whipped cream and scooped some up.

He held out his finger in front of me with a seductive smirk, though I wasn’t showing it I was panicking on the inside. I had no idea how to be sexy. I jumped when the all around sound system kicked in and the titles rolled up. Kevin flicked off the light switch leaving us in partial darkness with onto the light from the screen giving us away.

“You want me to lick it off your finger?” I choked out quietly.

“Yep.”