Status: NEEDS REWRITING!!

***NEED WORK

Chapter 22: Neglected Agenda

The air surrounding us chilled significantly, and the tension multiplied. No one dared to speak, and no one made a sound.
I glanced over at Thya, hoping to catch her attention. She was staring at Sir Elder, watching him almost cautiously like everyone else that was present in the Hall. She didn’t give a single glance my way.
I turned my eyes back forward, frustration attacking me again.
Well? Did she find her? Was she alright?

My mind was reeling with these repeating thoughts, my head clearly elsewhere. What happened? What’s happening? What are we here for?

“Fall at ease.”

I nearly jumped a mile at the calm command that suddenly broke through the silence. Quickly, I regained composure and turned my attention back to the desk.
Sir Ravador hadn’t moved a hair from his stiff stone-like position in his seat behind the desk. His steely eyes looked over at the small crowd before him, steadily gazing at each and every one of us.
None of us moved, or went to drop our guard. I didn’t blame them; I was with them there.

Finally, Sir Ravador let out a sigh. Slowly, but steadily he pushed back and come to a stand.
“Please, at ease.” he repeated.

I glanced around, looking from Zarda to Sarvwen. They looked just as unsure as I was. But slowly, I forced myself to breathe, forcing the edge in my guard to back down.
Soon enough, everyone in the room settled some, though the heavy silence stayed put. I glanced over to Thya again, hoping this time I could catch her attention.
Of course, not such luck, but her now clouded, troubled expression bothered me.
What was that all about? Did something happen?
Maybe I was reading too far into things, being paranoid beyond reason. But still…

“I summoned you all back here on a collection of neglected agenda.” Sir Elder announced calmly, his fingertips pressed lightly on the surface of his desk. “When we previously met, we came across numerous…disruptions.”
He smoothly rounded the side of his desk and glided down from the raised platform to stand before us on even grounds.
“First and foremost, I will have you recall that the matters concerning the events of the Electus mission are deemed strictly confidential and the security of intelligence collected are held at the highest regards.” he said smoothly. “So in consideration to the sensitivity to all parties involved, due respect should be given to all facets of the situation.”

I scowled, as new questions surfaced in my mind, demanding answers.
Due respect? Sensitivity? Situation?
What the hell? We didn’t know---no, we knew close to nothing as to what really happened on that mission!

---Why do I feel like we’re just running around in circles?

Sir Ravador continued.
“With that said, I will share what I can with you at the moment, concerning the event, the mission and status of the members directly involved in the Retrieval.” Sir Ravador continued.

My ears perked up instantly, 100% of my attention zoning in on the Supreme Elder. Finally! It’s about time we started getting answers!
Sir Ravador straightened a bit, and his expression became even more stone-serious.
“Two weeks ago, we received reports of abnormal Energy activity out in the Living, outside of the borders of Ridgewood, along the Cosmar mountain range.

Cosmar mountains, bordering Ridgewood; it was a region thick with forest and vegetation that took up a thick strip of land in the Fourth Quadrant of the Living. The mist and fog was always the thickest here, void of human population---and to us Immortals, it was notorious of being the feral territories marked by the most savage of Fiends.

“Upon further investigation of the activities in question, it was quickly determined that the Energy motion was a potential threat. To obtain more concrete data and confirm the source of the disturbances, a small team was dispatched out into the Living, strictly for observation. Their investigation came to an abrupt end, however, at the discovery of a body.”

A shock ran through the air at those words, and Sir Ravador paused slightly before he continued.
“A vampire, female; a nomadic species. Already Vanquished on arrival.”

I felt Sarvwen and Zarda stiffen next to me, reacting to the confirmation of the rumors. I stayed still, silently demanding more info. Sir Elder Ravador did not disappoint.
“By the time of her discovery, the body was partly deteriorated, hindering the initial call on her age. Her remains were quickly recovered and preserved before they were brought back to Galiasis for further examination.”

Her body, her remains.

I frowned, sensing an odd feeling, almost like an odd connection in the way Sir Ravador spoke of the retrieved cadaver. Maybe it was his empty, neutral tone, or the distant, dissociated expression, I can’t be sure; but it felt as if he was personalizing this vampire.
I continued to listen and watch carefully, watching for signs in his body and expression as he continued.
“The autopsy was concluded yesterday, and the preliminary reports show that out initial predictions were inaccurate. We came to find that she was well over her newborn and adolescent years. A definitive number could not be determined, but it is fact that even without a precise number we can soundly classify her as an Ancient.”

The sudden weight of shock ripped through the air, drilling into my chest and electrifying my skin.
An Ancient.

“An Ancient?” I heard Mjoré say, alarm and disbelief clear in her tone. “But that would mean that she---it…”
Mjoré stumbled on her words, as if to be biting them back.
Sir Elder Ravador’s stone expression didn’t change.
“As the title suggests, she---the vampyre---had walked amongst the Living for longer than nature would allow one soul. She had endured Immortality in numbers that humbles the long and many years she have lived.” he said almost coldly. “Fiend or not, she shall receive the due respect that she deserves.”

I saw Druce glance towards Mjoré with a muddled expression, seemingly concerned for his partner.
“Sir, due respects shall be paid for certain,” he started. “But I believe Mjoré was just expressing her…surprise at this new information. This would mean that she would’ve been quite a formidable opponent.”

Sir Ravador gazed steadily at Druce before slightly melting from his rigid posture.
“Truth,” he allowed, sighing. “She would’ve only grown stronger and more intelligent with age. And after so many years, she must have obtained a great magnitude of strength and power in her abilities.”
His expression stayed smooth and serene, but there was a slight shadow about him that was uncharacteristic of him.
Why did he suddenly look so worn and beaten?

“But alas, despite any advantages she may have had, in the end she was Vanquished. Cause of death was a single strike made by a blade of some sort, piercing the heart in one pass.”

A chilling shock ran through me, throwing me off guard. The rumors; they were all right to the exact details. So why am I so surprised? Something about everything he said didn’t add up. Something; a key part of this story was missing…

“And the thing…the creature that did her in…” I heard Varsalo say.

The Continentia.

I turned my head his way, the memory of the massive containment Ward filling my mind in a flash.
That’s right…

“That monster killed an Ancient, and you brought it back into Galiasis?” Varsalo continued, his voice low. “Why would you risk having a potential disaster?”
“Varsalo,” Mjoré warned.
But he ignored her.
“This is our home! Our peace, with out people! And you dare to bring in that monster on a silver platter like it was some guest of honor when it can very well leave all we have to protect in a sea of flames!”
Varsalo was raging now, completely unleashed.
“You have killed us all, and for what, some intriguing live specimen of freak---”

“Hold your tongue before I rip it out of your skull myself.”

A shock of ice ripped through my veins at the female voice that rang out in a deadly tone. My eyes flickered back to my right in disbelief as my mind immediately recognized the speaker.
Thya had stepped forward from where she had been standing next to Mivian and Mjoré, her eyes harsh and stabbing as she glared at Varsalo. Her posture was rigid and her expression…scary.
“Say anymore, and I will kill you.” she snarled.

My mouth fell open at the sudden twist of events that just started to unravel before me.
…What the fuck was going on? What was this sudden crazed tension?
I saw Mivian shift behind Thya, watching the whole display. Her eyes narrowed and her lips pressed together in a hard line that brought together a dark expression.
What must all this be like from her standpoint?
Then Mivian’s expression shifted, her eyes widening. She snapped her gaze to her right suddenly alarmed.
My eyes followed her gaze and I found myself staring at Sir Elder.
---Oh.

Sir Elder Ravador stood rigidly before us, his posture perfectly straight, as he stared evenly at Varsalo, his gaze steady and unbroken.
“Perhaps you are right.” he spoke smoothly, his calm tone clear and powerful. “This is out home; our place of sanctuary. And as the acting Supreme Elder, my first priority must be in protecting the Citizens of our Realm.”
His lips pulled up the slightest bit in a subtle smile. There was no warmth in that expression.
“So what could I possibly gain for taking such risks? What was I thinking, bringing in this monster or this threat as you have said, into Galiasis?”
His lips pulled up even more, bringing a dark glint in his eyes onto his otherwise placid features.
“Or maybe, I cared not of the welfare of the people, forsaking my responsibility. I was not thinking at all. What say you, Varsalo?”

The weight of the skies suddenly crashed down over our heads with a silent, threatening roar. I gulped, feeling compromised where I stood.

Though his tone was light and his expression almost casual, the hidden, yet undeniable message was in the weight of the atmosphere.

Of course I remember my given duties.
Of course I have though this through.
I have my reasons and know of the possible consequences.

Do not question my authority.

Dammit, Varsalo! Does he think before he opens his fat mouth? All he ever does is piss people off left and right; my second time meeting him and that was already clear. Even Thya---

My eyes flickered from Sir Elder to Thya. She was still glaring daggers at Varsalo, and almost looked like she was shaking. I scowled.
What was it that set her off in the first place? Was it the arrogance and disrespect Varsalo had shown towards Sir Elder?
I looked at her again, doubt clouding my thoughts.
This is unlike her; it was almost as if he unconsciously stepped on a landmine…Something Varsalo seem to have a talent for.

“The creature, Sir?” Sarvwen suddenly spoke warily, breaking the suffocating tension.

The overwhelming pressure lifted and dissipated, restoring the air back to its original tranquil state. I quietly released the breath I didn’t realize I was holding, relief flooding through my stiff muscles.
Thank you, Sarvwen. We owe you one.

Sir Ravador breathed in slowly and exhaled silently.

“Yes; the creature.” he murmured, calming back down.
He scanned over us again before continuing.
“Immediately following the discovery of the body, the land was searched and scanned for the Fiend possibly responsible for the killing. The orders were to find the culprit and eliminate the threat. It wasn’t long before we crossed paths with… the creature.”

Did he just hesitate?

“Regrettably, the even that transpired after the initial contact is still under investigation, therefore, I cannot disclose to you the details.” Sir Elder said. “But I will say in conclusion to those events, the creature responsible was captured, contained and brought back to Galiasis. It will remain in our charge until further notice, when it is decided what course of action shall be taken next.”

Druce made a weird sound. I could’ve sworn it was a suppressed scoff.
Sir Ravador gave Druce a light glare.
“Due to some recent development of complications, further discloser of events will have to be withheld.”
A hollow silence fell over us then, though the air seemed to be buzzing. So Sir Ravador continued.
“Three Elites were injured, but nothing grave. In our current status, they are receiving care from our Medical Unit for further observations, just for precautions. There were no fatalities and the mission, though still under investigation, is deemed to be a clean success.”
He gave us one steady gaze before gliding back onto his platform. He then turned back.
“I shall share the rest of the details and information in full once all the mess has been cleared out. Until then, I expect that these details do not leave this room. I assure you; you will come to know the whole truth in the near future.”

He settled himself back behind his desk and resumed his position in his chair.
“Now onto the next agenda.” he said. “You will be given a new Training assignment. Sarvwen, Thya, Zarda; Mjoré will be your temporary mentor. Varsalo, you will keep Druce as yours and Mivian…my condolences, but you are still assigned to me.” Sir Ravador said, the last part with a subtle sarcastic tone. Mivian rolled her eyes.
Then Sir Elder turned to me, his eyes glinting somewhat mysteriously.
“Zavius, I would like to keep you under my guidance.”
I blinked, not sure I heard right.
“Me?” I echoed, disbelief pounding in my head.
“Yes, if you’ll have me.” Sir Ravador said with a smile.
I glanced over to Zarda, who gave me an encouraging nudge.
“Of course.” I replied, stunned.
Sir Ravador nodded, smiling wider.
“Excellent. Your mentors will show you to where you will be training. The time training under them will be limited, so I shall leave it to your liberty on deciding how you shall coordinate your time. The restrictions set into action prior to today still stand active; I expect that you will all abide by the set orders.”
We just nodded, not making a sound. He went on.
“An assessment on what rank you shall be placed in will be made after a time, the length of the time period you will be given and the method of assessment is yet to be decided. Any questions on anything that was discussed today?”
We all silently shook out heads.
“Then I believe that is all I have to share with you at the moment. You are dismissed.”

Our second Summon was concluded in that business like manner. Mjoré spoke then, turning to her three newly assigned disciples.
“We’ll start tomorrow morning with long-distance targeting. Come, I’ll show you where we’ll be meeting.” she said.
I glanced at Zarda, who gave me a congradulatory jab of the elbow. He winked at me as he brushed by.
His way of saying ‘Good luck, kid!’
With that, he hurried after the others.

“Well, we’re still free for this afternoon so let’s get moving with the usual.” I heard Druce tell Varsalo.
Varsalo only grunted in response but followed his mentor as he made his way out of Elder’s Hall.

And then all of the sudden, it was just me, Mivian and the Supreme Elder of the Four Gates Union.
My newly assigned mentor.
And I was his stunned, clueless disciple.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh I am sooooooo soooo sorry!! And I was doing SO WELL with the regular updates...TT_TT
ugh, let me tell you, colleges do not always let you keep your plans.

So I am back, FINALLY updating, which has been one of the things on my growing list of NEGLECTED AGENDA. **hehehe....see what I did there just now? hehe...well............I thought it was clever.=(**

Anyways, it's late where I am, so I just skimmed it for mistakes, I know I probably missed a good few. just let me know.
I know this isn't much of an update and it's shorter than my standard, but I thought I would get what I have out so far before Helen kills me. XD

Tell me what you think! ANd there is MORE TO COME!! **I promise!! >_<!**