Status: Finished

Secret Love Letters

Myth Or Truth?

Image

I sank down on the couch the moment I got home from work. It was the night before Thanksgiving and I was completely exhausted. I spent most of my day at the restaurant helping my mom fix the big turkey feast for tomorrow. If you don't remember my mother cooks a huge meal and let's people that are less fortunate come in and eat the meal for free. She is a caring person.

I slipped off my shoe to reveal my red toe socks that had cats on them. I rubbed my sore feet and was about to get up to take a hot bath when the door bell rang. I looked at the door confused. Who could be here at this time of night? I got up to my feet and walked over to the door. I peaked through the peep hole to see Jacob standing on my front porch. I yanked the door open and greeted him with a smile on my face.

"Hey Jacob, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well, my dad and I got into a fight. He told me to leave for the night until we both calm down. He already asked your mom if I could stay here tonight"

I looked down and noticed that he was holding a small bag.

"I guess she said yes"

"Your mom loves me, she said it was fine"

"Well in that case come in"

I ushered him inside my house.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm starving"

"Help yourself, you know where the kitchen is. I'm going to take a bath. I'll be out in a little bit"

"Okay"

Jacob set his bag on the couch then went into the kitchen while taking a hot bath. I couldn't stop thinking about Jacob-not in a liking kind of way but just the fact that we haven't spoken in at least four months. Something happened between us and well it got awkward so I stopped talking to him. I let out a deep breath as I finished shaving my legs. Just what I needed; Jacob to be staying at my house for the night.

I got out of the tub and drained the water. I smiled at myself in the mirror. Maybe, I could talk Jacob into telling me about the Cullen's. It was eating me away inside. Why did Jacob want me to stay away from the Cullen's and why did Edward want me to stay away from Jacob? Something was going on that I was going to find out. I quickly put on my pajamas before stepping out of the bathroom. Jacob was sitting on the couch eating a huge bowl of spaghetti, that I had made for dinner last night. He eyed me as I sank down next to him. I didn't speak to him just yet, I would let him wonder in his thoughts.

My eyes lingered on the TV screen. Jacob had set it on comedy central; South Park had just started playing. After Jacob ate he went back to get seconds. I looked at him like he was insane. He raised his eyebrows at me then smiled.

"What?" he asked through a moutful of food.

"Is Billy starving you or something"

He swallowed. "No, I'm just hungry. I'm a growing man Maddie"

"More like boy"

"Hey, I'm now taller than you and I have hair under my arm pits"

I snorted. "That doesn't make you a man"

"Yeah yeah! Do you want some?" he offered me the bowl of spaghetti.

"No, I already ate at the restaurant"

"Is your mom still doing the turkey dinner for the poor?"

"Less fortunate, and yes she does"

"Then I guess that's where we'll be going tomorrow"

Jacob finished eating his second helping. This time he put the bowl in the sink and rinsed it out with water. With a coke in hand he sank down on the couch again. I felt the warmness of his skin against mine. That's when I jumped up.

"What?" asked Jacob.

"Are you sick?"

"No, why?"

I placed my hand on his forehead, he was so warm. "You have a fever"

"No I don't, I'm just hot natured"

"Are you sure you're not sick?"

"Maddie, I'm fine. Calm down"

"Sorry"

I sat back down on the couch. Jacob's eyes lingered over at me.

"I miss this, me hanging out at your house just watching TV. Hey, do you still have the tree house in the back yard?"

"Yeah, it's still there"

"Do you want to go on an adventure into the tree house?"

I shrugged. "Why not"

I followed Jacob out to the back yard. The tree house that we both built four years ago still sat in the tree. Jacob climbed up the rope ladder. I followed closely behind him.

"Wow, all are stuff is still here" said Jacob.

He sank down on the small cot. I slowly sat down next to him. I rubbed my hands together feeling a little cold.

"Here" Jacob got a blanket out of the many cabinets and wrapped it around me.

"Thanks" I told him. I pulled the blanket tighter over me letting my body head warm me up.

"Jacob, you've never kept any secrets from me so why now?"

He looked over at me. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean"

He shrugged. "No, I don't"

"The Cullen's"

"Oh, that"

"Yeah, that"

Jacob went silent for a few minutes then he spoke up. "Remember when we used to tell ghost stories in here?"

"Yeah, you'd tell me the one your grandpa and Billy told you"

Jacob nodded. "Yeah, there was one in specific"

"Which one?"

"The one about the cold ones"

"Oh, the vampire one? That was so long ago Jacob I don't remember. And quit changing the subject- tell me about the Cullen's"

Jacob smiled. "Long ago while my great grandfather was the cheif of my tribe-he along with a few others went hunting one afternoon for deer. While on the hunt they tan into seven people that were drinking the blood from deer. My great grandfather about killed the hell out of them. The eldest of the blood suckers and my great grandfather then talked. The cold ones of their clan only drank the blood of animals, and so a treaty was made between the vampires and the Quileutes. The Quileutes will never reveal what the vampire clan is until they set foot on our land. But I guess I broke the treaty for telling you then huh?"

I looked at him confused then it hit me.

"Are you telling me that the Cullen's are vampires?"

"That's exactly what I'm telling you"

"It has to be a myth"

Jacob shrugged. "Find out for yourself. Now you know why I want you to stay away from them"

I stared out of the open window in shock. This couldn't be true.