Sequel: Cut and Run
Status: Finished. Sequel is Posted!

Running From Reality

So I Can Find Someone to Rely On, And Run to Them, to Them, Full Speed Ahead

“No offense,” I said, my voice confused as I stood in the living room, “but who are you?” On the couch sat a woman in maybe her mid-twenties. High cheekbones and large blue-grey eyes made up the basic features of her face, and short black hair with a red tint fell neatly to her chin. A button nose, pale skin, and naturally red lips made me think of her as a modernized Snow White.

“My name is Scarlett Ullen, and I’m your lawyer. Your brother and mine are dating. The other day, I get a call from Justin asking for a favor. He wanted me to help out with the case against your father, to put him away. As soon as he told me what was going on, I booked a flight. Your father is the kind of trash I specialize in, and I will do whatever I take to put him where he belongs.”

A flood of emotions rushed through me.

Relief-I now had a lawyer. One less thing to worry about when I took on my father.

Hope-Scarlett added to the little I already had.

Sorrow-Justin cared enough to find a lawyer, but he wouldn’t even come with her?


“And Justin didn’t come with you?” I asked, my voice quiet. First I heard a sigh, and then words formed from it. “He wanted to, so much. An hour, that’s how long he spent debating with himself whether or not it was a good idea. But, he didn’t think it would be a good idea, given your previous reaction to him,” she explained gently.

I wasn’t sure exactly what I was feeling at this point. A part of me--albeit a small, almost non-existing one—harbored a hate for his leaving me with our parents.

But, lately, I’ve been drifting away from that more and more. He’s the only person in my family whose intention wasn’t to hurt me. And, no matter what he’ll always be my big brother and my first best friend. I don’t want to hate him, because I know it wasn’t his fault this happened to me. It never had been, but I had felt the need to blame someone, anyone, for what had been going on. Justin, though, he doesn’t know I don’t hate him. He thinks I hate him!

The realization of that hit me hard, and I knew I needed to tell him. I turn to Scarlett, to see her converging with Alex. I hadn’t seen him come in. “Scarlett?” I asked timidly. Both she and Alex turned to me. “Could you tell me where my brother’s staying? I wanna talk to him.”

Scarlett walked over to me, and placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. “He’s at the Holiday Inn, room 21. Do you want me to take you there?”

Before I could say anything, Alex spoke up. “I’ll take her, Scarlett. Do you want to go now Andi?” he asked me, and I nodded. Alex gently grabbed my hand, and we exited the now empty house with Scarlett right behind us. She got into her rental car while I climbed into Alex’s truck with some help from him.

Soon, we were on our way.

***

I stood outside of Justin’s door, Scarlett having helped me to it after I told Alex I wanted him to stay in the car. This was something I needed to do, and I needed to do it on my own.

After all, Justin is my brother.

I raised my hand and knocked three times on the door. It took only seven seconds for him to open it, and for those seven seconds I don’t think I breathed.

“Scarlett, how did it,” he started, but stopped when he realized I was the one at the door. “Andi?” he asked quietly, as if afraid I wasn’t truly here. I nodded slightly, biting my lower lip. “Can I come in?” I asked, and it was his turn to nod as he opened the door completely, taking my arm cautiously as he helped me to the small couch in the room. He tentatively sat down next to me, and I shocked him by wrapping both my arms around him.

For a second, he just sat there frozen. But, slowly, he snaked his arms around me, holding me tightly to him. “Andi,” he said, and I could hear the tears in his voice, “I’m so sorry, about everything! It’s my fault, and I’m willing to do anything to forgive me! I know that’s going to take time, and that you probably hate me, which you have every right to. But I’m willing to wait until you do. I love you, baby sis.”

I could feel myself welling up, so I squeezed him even tighter than he was hugging me. “Justin, it isn’t your fault, nor was it ever. I just needed someone to blame, and there you were, the perfect person onto which blame could be placed. And I could never hate you, Justin. I love you too damn much.”

Both of us sat there holding the other tightly, tears of relief flooding down both our faces, mingled with ones of joy. His, because I didn’t hate him and mine because I had my brother back. And I never plan on letting him go again. A soft knock was heard by the both of us, and we pulled apart. We both wiped the tears from our face, and Justin headed over to the door. Soon, Scarlett joined us in the room.

“So, I hate to intrude on this,” she said, sitting down on the couch on the other side of Justin. “But I have to tell you. I just got a call from Freddy. They’ve arrested your parents for abuse.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, quick update my our normal standards, yes?

It would have been up awhile ago, but I had late work due, and I lacked motivation, so....yeah. Took me awhile to get the work down, so my writing time was lacking.

And I might have started a new story(not the greatest idea, but one of mine is going to be on hiatus after I next update it).

Anywho, I hope you take the time to comment and tell us what you think!

I seriously love all of you guys for putting up with us taking forever to update!<3 You're the best!

--Jaycie