Status: COMPLETED; third on the way

Us; I love that

I'm fine

“Well Miss Johnson-you’re fine. Just a few cuts as you already know,” Dr. Rouen announced, sitting down in his rolling chair. I sighed, hopping off the little seat, feeling my knees tingle. I grabbed up my clothes, ready to run into the hall. “Wait a minute. I’d just like to ask you a couple questions… not medical questions though,” he said, looking up at me. I narrowed my eyes, backtracking so I was standing next to the chair. “What went through your mind when Mr. Jonas told you to get out?” he asked like a therapist.

I sighed. “I didn’t know what he meant at first.”

“And when he explained?”

“He didn’t really. He just said I had to jump.” I had gotten my emotions under control, but my voice was a little shaky when I spoke of the incident that happened less than an hour ago.

“And what did you say?” he then asked, crossing his arms.

“I said he was acting like we’d crash…” I looked down. “He told me we were.” I felt my eyes get watery as the image of Nick in the damaged car flashed into my mind.

“And what do you make of this?” he asked, cocking his head. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“What do you mean?”

“Well… why did he tell you to jump?” he looked at me intently, like he was probing for me to answer a question correctly. Was this some game show to him? If I answered right, would I get a million dollars? I’d throw it away just to know if Nick was alright.

“He wanted me safe,” I said quietly, unable to find my voice. Dr. Rouen smiled slightly.

“And why is that?” he obviously knew the answer.

“Because he loves me,” I choked out, tears brimming again. “And I love him.” He nodded.

“Would you like me to check in with his doctors?” he asked politely. I nodded furiously.

He grabbed the door handle, opening it up for me to exit, followed by him. I rushed straight into the bathroom, ripping off the hospital gown and throwing back on my slightly bloody and torn clothes. I didn’t care at the moment, I just wanted to know he was safe. I flung the door open, seeing the faces of Mr. and Mrs. Jonas, Frankie, Joe, Kevin and Grammie. Denise’s eyes looked puffy, like she had just stopped crying. I wiped my own tears away, throwing the hospital gown to the side, not caring that someone would have to pick it up. Mr. Jonas held a blank expression as he held his wife’s hand. Kevin’s foot was bouncing up and down in anticipation and Joe was sitting still-surprising. Frankie stared at his hands as Grammie hurried over to me.

“Mitchie," she said in relief. Everyone looked up to look at me. I hugged Grammie tight, letting an almost inaudible whimper out. Denise held my gaze, sorrow filled her eyes.

“I-I’m sorry,” I whispered, pulling away to look at Mrs. Jonas. “It should’ve been me-”

“Oh no,” she said sternly, letting go of her husband’s hand to grab my shoulders. “Don’t say that. I’m so happy your safe… I’m just worried about Nicholas,” she whispered, trying to be strong. I nodded, pulling her into a hug. She tightened her grip, sighing. “Could you please explain what happened? They won’t tell me the full story.”

“What do you know?” I questioned, pulling away to glance at the rest of them. They all sat up, listening intently.

“That his car crashed and that you were safe.”

I nodded. “The brakes. They… I don’t know. He said they weren’t working. I saw his face-he was panicking and his voice was worried.” I took a shaky breathe. “I didn’t know what to do. I had no clue. And I was confused when he told me to get out. He told me to jump out of the car. And I did.” I let out a sob before she pulled me in for another hug, her own breathing shaky. “I saw the car hit. I saw it.” I whimpered. “And I saw him up against that airbag. So… helpless.” I couldn’t stop crying, just picturing Nick helpless… it wasn’t real. “He saved me,” I whispered, but somehow they all heard.

“Nicholas really cares for you. Now I know he meant it when he said he’d do anything to help you,” Mr. Jonas smiled weakly. I sniffled, wiping my eyes and moving back to my Grammie. She stroked my hair.

“I called your parents. I told them you’d call when you were ready.” I nodded, taking a deep breathe as Joe and Kevin stood up, hurrying over to me for a hug.

“I know Nick… if anything, he’ll pull through just to see you,” Joe smiled, but I saw the pain in his eyes.

“Thanks,” I whispered, pulling away when I heard the door squeak open. Doctor Rouen stepped out and gave us a slight smile as he pulled the door slightly closed.

“You're all here for Mr. Jonas, correct?” he asked.

“Yes,” Paul spoke up first.

“Well I’m happy to say that he just woke up and is fine.” We all sighed with relief. I couldn’t explain what I felt at that moment-it was as if my heart was whole again. “He does have a few minor cuts here and there… and since he does have diabetes, you’ll have to keep a close eye on them. If they start bleeding you need to give us a call. He’ll need to rest here for a few more hours, but I assure you he’s well and ready to see you,” he explained, looking over at Denise and Paul. They nodded and stood up.

“Could we see him?” Denise asked with full relief in her voice.

“Yes,” he smiled, reopening the door for them. They hurried in, shutting the door with a click.

I bounced my leg up and down while Joe spoke. “Hey-you go in next,” he whispered. I looked up to see him smiling. “We’ll see him. Don’t worry,” he added. I gave him a thankful nod and watched the door to see when they’d come out. Grammie patted my back and spoke softly. Mostly about anything to keep my mind busy. The white walls were giving me a headache. Finally the door creaked open to reveal a smiling Mr. and Mrs. Jonas. She turned her gaze towards me.

“He wants to see you,” she grinned.

“A-are you sure… shouldn’t they go first?” I asked referring to his brothers.

She shook her curly hair, grabbing Mr. Jonas’ hand and squeezing it gently. I caught site of their still glistening wedding rings and smiled to myself. “He kept asking if you were alright.” she spoke softly, nodding towards the door. I nodded, standing up quickly and wiping my hands on my torn jeans. I took a breathe and reached my hand out of the door, taking eager steps across the tiled floor. I grabbed the knob slowly and pushed it open, revealing a window, a chair, and the foot of the bed. I stepped inside, closing the door behind me and turning around to face the whole bed. My breathe caught as I saw Nick’s angelic face… with a cut on his soft cheek. His deep, brown eyes met mine as he kept his gaze intense. I felt tears threatening to release again, but I pushed them away for the moment, stepping forward. We just looked at each other for a moment, keeping the gaze intense and important. I wanted so much just to see that smile. I didn’t want to see him hurt.

“Mitchie...” he finally spoke. It was soft and unsure. I looked at his face again. How could that face go through so much?

“How could you do that?” I asked weakly, looking into his now confused eyes. He was searching mine.

“W-what?” he asked weakly, not having a clue about what I was speaking of.

I sighed, trying to keep my voice strong, but my words came out weak. “Why would you tell me to jump? Why didn’t you?” My vision gradually became blurry.

“That was the only thing I could think of…” he looked down. He was confused on what I meant.

“Do you think I’m saying it wasn’t smart?” I snapped. He looked up quickly, narrowing his eyes.

“I don’t know. What am I supposed to think Mitchie?” he growled. My head wasn’t working correctly because all I could think about was how sexy he looked angry.

“I’m talking about you Nick. Why didn’t you jump out?”

He kept his eyes narrowed and his words were kind of harsh. “Because I don’t care about what happens to me.”

“Nick don’t even say that. Your more important than me!” I snapped, throwing my hands up in the air. He shook his head and sat up slightly.

“Your wrong. I needed to keep you safe-”

“By almost dying yourself? Why didn’t you just go?” I felt my teas coming and I had no way t stop them.

“You wouldn’t have survived,” he said quietly, but there was an edge to his voice.

“It’s better than you lying here. You looked dead when they put you on that stretcher!” I sobbed, not bothering to wipe my tears. “You were out of it-”

“No… I wasn’t,” he said quietly, keeping his eyes on me. “I knew what they were doing. Just because I couldn’t move doesn’t mean my mind wasn’t there.” I fell silent at his words, letting my tears fall freely. “I-I knew that we’d crash. I saw the car coming. I needed to get you out and having you jump was the only way…”

“How were you so smart in such a time? I couldn’t even think…” I muttered, trying to see through my tears. “But why didn’t you go?”

He sighed. “I knew I’d make it. I saw the car and I-I couldn’t get out…”

“Did you try?” I sobbed, feeling myself getting frustrated. He shook his head. “Dammit Nick!” I shouted, clenching my fists. He stayed blank. “Were you trying to die?” I choked out.

“Mitchie you don’t understand-”

“You should’ve jumped out instead of telling me too-”

“NO!” he shouted, startling me slightly. “I told you-I needed you safe. I didn’t care what happened to me.” he growled, lowering his tone slightly.

“But I do,” I muttered.

He sighed, looking at me with sorrow filled eyes. “I’m sorry, okay? But I knew I’d pull for...” it went silent and my tears were still falling as I watched his face. I saw a wet streak on his face. He was crying? I let out another sob, coming closer to him. “When I-I was in the ambulance… I heard you. I felt you. I knew I’d make it for you,” he whispered, looking away from me. I saw him shake lightly. I sat on the side of the bed, grabbing his face gently in my hands, forcing him to look at me. He was crying… and it broke my heart.

“Nick…” I whispered, trying to find my voice. He looked up, not bothering to get rid of his tears. “Did you think… that-that you weren’t going too…” I trailed off, letting out a low whimper. I couldn’t finish it. He kept my gaze locked with his.

“At one point,” he whispered.

“Were you scared?” I asked quietly, feeling myself shake slightly. He looked down as I kept my soft face between my hands, careful not to touch his cut.

“Yeah...” he finally answered. “I was scared because I couldn’t see your face… no matter how-how I tried. And I actually thought I was dead…” he choked on the last word slightly. “But I felt your hand in mine and I knew I’d be okay.” he closed his eyes, letting another tear slide down his cheek.

“You-you pulled through for me?” my words shook, but he understood and gave me a nod. “Your so stupid,” I growled, thinking about why he didn’t jump out too. He looked up with those deep eyes. “You’re-you’re so… ugh!” I shook my head, letting my tears come, not caring that we were both crying. “But I love you… so much,” I whispered. His eyes brightened a little and he reached his hand up to my face. I almost jumped at his touch. It was so… amazing. I didn’t know how to describe the feeling and I knew words couldn’t come close. I practically threw myself down on him, connecting our lips quickly. He didn’t hesitate to kiss back, which I was glad of. If I couldn’t feel those lips on mine… if I couldn’t feel his arms around me or hear him say he loved me- I wouldn’t live and I was glad that he was fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait-don't really have an excuse. ha.
But tomorrow I go register for school... so I won't have a chapter out until later in the day. I'll start it now though... probably.
COMMENTS!