Completely Oblivious

Chapter 2

“What did you just say?” Greg whirled around, seeing Nick standing in the doorway to the room. Greg’s eyes went wide and his face paled. He grabbed onto the windowsill and looked as if he was trying not to fall over. Nick went toward Greg. “Greg, are you all right?” Nick asked, worried.

“I… I have to go… I’m going to throw up!” Greg raced out of the room and down the stairs, pushing past a still startled Brass on his way out of the house. He fell to his hands and knees on the front lawn and retched, his stomach heaving and emptying half digested peanut butter and jelly. Brass was at his side in a flash.

“You okay, Greg?” Brass asked. Greg shook his head, retching again. Brass knelt next to him, a hand hovering awkwardly over his back. “Should I call Grissom and tell him what’s up?” Greg nodded weakly as his stomach heaved again. Brass patted Greg’s shoulder, stood and pulled out his cell phone. He used his speed dial to find Grissom’s number and pressed send.

“Grissom.”

“Griss, its Brass. We have a small problem here.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Greg’s throwing up in the grass. No one knows why.”

“… All right, have someone bring him back.” Grissom’s tone was resigned.

“Will do.” Brass hung up the phone and called one of the officers over. “Take him back to the station,” He ordered. The officer nodded and helped Greg up off the ground. The officer led him to a police car and they drove quickly back to the station. Sick and dizzy, Greg got out of the police car and stumbled toward the building. The officer grabbed his arm and steered him inside. He was led gently into the break room and seated in a chair. He put his arms on the table, rested his head on his arms and started to shake. Catherine hurried to his side and put an arm around his shoulders.

“Greg, are you all right?” She asked softly. He shook his head as hot tears streaked his face. “What happened?” Quietly, he explained his confession and how Nick had overheard him. He stared up at Catherine.

“What am I going to do, Cath?” He asked pleadingly. Catherine took hold of his shoulders and gripped them tightly.

“First off, you need to calm down and clear your head,” She said. He took several deep breaths to try and calm himself while Catherine wiped away the tears that streaked his face. “Okay, good. Now you’re going to turn around and explain to Nick what happened,” She said, letting go of Greg and walking out of the break room. Greg turned and saw Nick standing in the doorway. He gulped and stood on shaky legs. His knees buckled and he pitched forward. Nick took a step toward him and caught him in a strong embrace. Nick led Greg back to his chair and sat in the one next to him. Greg was still shaking, so Nick kept an arm around his shoulders.

“Greg, what the hell happened earlier?” Nick asked. Tears started down Greg’s face again. Nick stared at him with concern. “Greg?”

“I’m sorry, Nick. I didn’t know you were listening. I didn’t know you were right there! I was admitting it to myself. I didn’t mean for you to hear it. I’m sorry if I freaked you out,” Greg drew a deep breath and let it out slowly. Nick sat there in silence, staring at the wall opposite him. “Nick?” Greg said. He got no response. “Nick, please say something, anything!” Greg pleaded. The tears came faster, his breath came in shaky gasps, his body convulsed with pent up sobs. Nick snapped out of his daze and took Greg into his strong arms.

“S’okay, Greggo. You’re okay now,” He murmured soothingly against Greg’s hair. Greg still trembled and convulsed while Nick rubbed his hand gently up and down his back. “You’re all right now, Greg,” He said. The shaking stopped, and Greg’s sobs became hiccups. Nick smiled softly to himself and pushed Greg gently away. “Greg, you know you’re a good friend, right?” Nick started. Greg nodded, lowering his gaze to avoid Nick’s. “I just… I don’t know what to think right now. I have Shannon right now, and she’s a big burden on me with her pushing. I don’t know if I can return your feelings, Greg. I’m sorry.” Greg was silent for a minute before he lifted his eyes to meet Nick’s. Greg’s eyes shone with tears.

“I understand, Nicky,” Greg said. A sad smile was on his face, and then it faded as his eyes rolled back into his head and he slid out of his chair and collapsed to the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry the chapters are still so short =/