Completely Oblivious

Chapter 3

Nick stood up and rushed to Greg’s side. He put two fingers gently on his neck and noticed that his pulse was normal, his breathing even. He jumped up and raced out of the break room.

“Hey, someone help!” He called. Doc Robbins poked his head out of the autopsy room.

“What’s wrong, Nick?” He asked.

“Greg just fainted!” Nick ran back into the break room and knelt at Greg’s side. Doc Robbins came in shortly afterward and knelt on Greg’s other side.

“His vitals are all normal. What was he doing right before he fainted?” Nick stared down at him.

“Confessing something,” Nick admitted. Doc Robbins waited patiently. “He told me he loves me. I told him I don’t know if I can return his feelings.” Tears stung at his eyes as he looked up at Doc Robbins. “Is this my fault?” His voice was chocked because of his tears.

“No, I don’t think this is your fault, Nick,” Doc Robbins said gently. “We should get him to the hospital and get him evaluated to see if they can figure out a cause.” Nick pulled out his cell phone and called for an ambulance.

“911, what’s your emergency?”

“My friend just passed out, and we don’t know why.” Nick held the tears out of his voice as best as he could.

“What is your current location, sir?” He couldn’t answer, he was shaking too badly and he couldn’t find his voice. The phone fell from his shaking fingers, and Doc Robbins picked up the phone and told the operator where they were. He hung up the phone after confirming that the ambulance would be there soon.

“Nick, Greg is going to be just fine, I promise,” Doc Robbins said, dialing Grissom’s number to tell him what had happened and where they were going. He hung up the phone and helped Nick to his feet. “The ambulance is on the way. Come on,” He led Nick out of the doorway just as the paramedics reached it. “Perfect timing,” He said, nudging Nick’s shoulder. He peered closer at Nick and saw tears streaming down his face freely. The paramedics had Greg on the stretcher and Nick automatically followed them out, staying at Greg’s side. He climbed into the ambulance and sat down. Catherine climbed in and sat next to him, putting an arm around his shoulders.

“Greg’s going to be fine, Nicky,” Catherine said softly. “I promise he’ll be just fine.” She squeezed his shoulders gently. He pressed his face into his hands and sobbed bitterly. Catherine rubbed his back gently, shushing him lightly. “It’s all right, Nick, it’s all right.” Catherine pulled his head onto her shoulder and let him cry.

“I’m scared for him, Cath,” He admitted in a shaky whisper.

“I know you are, Nicky, but he’s going to be just fine. You need to be strong for him,” She said. They came to a stop at the hospital and the paramedics rushed Greg inside. Catherine got out and helped Nick down from the ambulance, and together they followed after the paramedics. Grissom and Warrick arrived shortly after they took seats in the waiting area. Grissom sat next to Catherine, Warrick sat next to Nick.

“How are you holding up, man?” Warrick asked. Nick shook his head and avoided everyone’s gaze. “He’s going to be just fine.”

“Everyone keeps saying that! No one knows that for sure!” Nick snapped. He stood up and ran out of the hospital. Warrick started to follow, but Catherine put a hand on his arm to stop him.

“Let him be alone for a little while. He needs to clear his head,” She said softly.

------------------

Nick wandered around the area near the hospital, staring at the ground and trying to hold back his tears. He hadn’t noticed how far he had gone until he looked up and saw that he was in the middle of the desert. He had no idea how he had gotten there, or how to get back. He saw that his cell phone was still at the station, so he had no way of contacting anyone. Fear filled him, and he started shaking. He fell to the ground and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, the sun was shining brightly down on him. He sat up and winced as he stretched out his tight muscles. He squinted at the light and looked around. He could see part of the city in the distance, so he started walking toward it. He made his way to the city in about 20 minutes, and about 15 minutes after that he was back at the hospital. He walked in and went to the desk.

“Can I help you?” The nurse asked.

“Is Greg Sanders still here, by any chance?” He asked.

“Yes, he is. He’s in room 503. Elevators are right over there,” She said.

“Thank you,” He responded, flashing a smile. He went to the elevators and found Greg’s room easily. Catherine and Grissom stood in front, and they were arguing softly.

“No one’s heard from him in over 12 hours, Grissom! I’m starting to get worried!”

“He’s probably asleep, and we should just let him rest.”

“But what if something happened to him?”

“I’m sure he’s fine.” Catherine huffed and turned around.

“Nick!” She exclaimed, grabbing his arm and pulling him into a hug. “Thank goodness you’re safe! Where were you?” She demanded. Nick explained how he had wound up in the desert and ended up falling asleep there. Catherine was concerned about him; he could see it in her eyes.

“Cath, I’m fine, really,” He said. “I just want to see Greg.” She nodded and stepped out of the way. Grissom put a hand on his shoulder and pulled him back.

“Greg’s been asking for you. What are you going to tell him?” He asked. Nick looked helplessly up at his supervisor.

“I’m going to apologize to him,” Nick responded in a quiet voice. “I hurt him bad, Griss. I don’t know if I can forgive myself for it.” He shook his head, refusing to let his tears fall, and tore himself from Grissom’s grip as he made his way into Greg’s room. “Hey Greggo,” He said, peering into the room. There was no one inside other than Greg. Greg looked up and his eyes lit when he saw Nick standing there.

“Nick,” He said softly. Nick walked in and closed the door behind him. He moved and sat on the chair next to the bed.

“Greg, I’m so sorry about yesterday,” Nick began. Greg held up a hand.

“You don’t have to apologize, Nick. I don’t blame you,” Greg said. A single tear slid down Nick’s cheek.

“I blame myself. I feel like this is my fault,” His voice was hoarse as he confessed this. Greg reached out and wiped the tear away.

“Don’t, it really isn’t. The doctor said it was stress,” Greg said. Nick put his head in his hands and cried. Greg reached out and stroked his hair. Nick moved the chair closer, and Greg pulled Nick toward him. “Its okay, Nick,” He whispered. Nick stared up at Greg, and Greg wiped Nick’s tears. “It’s okay.” Nick realized just how close his face was to Greg’s. He could clearly see the deep brown of his eyes. Greg leaned closer to him and closed the gap between them in a soft kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Little longer. Thanks to Emily, I'm hooked on writing this, lol