Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 22

Tears fell uncontrollably down Andrea’s cheeks as she watched Brian and Jimmy carry all her belongings out to Jimmy’s truck. She was sat on the sofa with Ella in her arms as Michelle comforted Connor who had run back up stairs after she had told them that she would be moving out.

“I think that’s everything now.” Brian said quietly as he came to stand in front of her. She looked up through blood shot eyes and couldn’t miss the sadness she saw in the pair of brown eyes looking back at her.

“I just need to say goodbye to Connor, make sure he’s okay first.” She replied quietly, gently lifting Ella to her father’s arms before heading up the stairs in search of Connor.
She stopped outside his open bedroom door, taking a deep breath before knocking gently and taking a step into his room.

“Connor, I’m sorry.” She began in a whisper causing Michelle to look up at the sound of her voice. She smiled half heartedly as the five year old next to her on the bed sobbed, curled up in a ball.

Slowly she made it over to the bed and sat down, hesitantly reaching a hand over to run her fingers through his dark hair.

“Honey I’m sorry, but I, I just have to move in with Rhian, there’s more room at her house for when Abigail is born.” She said quietly, repeating what she had told him about an hour previously.

“But I want you to stay here.” He replied turning around to face her.

“I know honey, but it’s not as if I’m leaving for good. I’ll still be here to take care of you and Ella during the day, and I promise that as long as it’s okay with your mom that I’ll come and spend some time with you on the weekends as well.” She replied, feeling tears try to push their way out of her eyes.

“She can can’t she mom?” he replied turning to face Michelle.

“Of course sweetie, she’ll always be welcome here.” She replied with a smile.

“So you promise right? You’ll come over every weekend?” he asked clambering to sit up.

“I promise.” She replied simply with a growing smile.

“Good, because we’ve still got four Roald Dahl books to read from the set and Mommy and Daddy just don’t read them the same.” He replied quietly.

Andie chuckled, “So does this mean we’re still mates?” she replied. He nodded enthusiastically and almost jumped into her arms for a hug. “I’m going to miss you.”

“I’m gonna miss you too.” he replied.

“Okay, I’ve got to go, but I’ll be back in the morning to take you to school.” She said as she pulled away from the hug.

“Okay.” he said quietly.

“I’m going to help them unload everything at Rhian’s.” Brian said as the three of them emerged into the living room again.

“Of course.” Michelle replied, taking Ella out of his arms.

“Everything okay now?” he asked looking between Connor and Andie.

“Yep, cos it’s okay and she’s coming back in the morning and on the weekends!” Connor announced excitedly.

“Good.” Brian replied with a smile before turning to Andie. “Are you ready?”

“Yeah I am.” She replied simply.

The ride over to Rhian’s house was almost completely silent with Jimmy doing most of the talking.

“Hey, I’ve cleared your bedroom of any junk and we’ll sort out Abigail’s room tomorrow, and I was thinking we could decorate it to make it more like a nursery before we move anything in there.” Rhian greeted cheerfully as they walked into the house.

“Awe, cheers Hun, and thanks again for this.” Andie replied with a smile.

“And again, that’s what friends are for.” She replied. “Now you and me are going to relax with a cup of tea while these strapping young men unload all your stuff.

There was a small mumbled response from Jimmy before the girls disappeared onto the kitchen and the guys began to get Andie’s stuff.

Later that evening, Andie was happy to be able to take a long, relaxing bath and head to her new comfortable bed and despite most of her stuff still surrounding her in cases and boxes, sleep came easy to her.

*****

“Who needs a fucking alarm when you have an unborn child inside you squeezing your bladder?” Andie muttered as she sleepily passed Jimmy in the corridor the following morning.

“You have normal tea in the morning right?” he replied with a smile.

“Jimmy I love you.” she replied as she stopped in the bathroom doorway to turn and smile at him.

“Well, everybody does.” He replied with a shrug of his shoulders before continuing down stairs.

“I’ve put some toast in the toaster for you too.” Jimmy said as Andie took a seat at the table.

“It’s bread Jim.” She said as she took a sip of her tea.

“What?”

“Its bread in the toaster, not toast, well not yet anyway.” She replied earning a scowl from Jimmy.

“A simple “Thank you Jimmy.” would have done.” He replied taking a sip of his coffee.

“Thank you Jimmy.” she said with a smile.

“You’re welcome sweetie.” He replied with a wide smile. “Oh and just so you know, Brian’s coming over in a little while for us to decorate the nursery and baby proof the house.”

“Thanks Jimmy, you really don’t have to do this, I know you don’t really approve of what’s happened between Brian and I.” she replied with a small smile.

Jimmy sighed and nodded. “I know, and I don’t. But it has happened and Abigail isn’t making the situation any easier. But you are a friend and I’m going to help you. Oh and Rhian would have my balls on skewers if I kicked up a fuss anyway.” He added with a wink causing Andie to giggle.

“Damn right I will Sullivan.” Rhian said as she joined them in the kitchen.

“She wouldn’t really, she likes them too much.” Andie muttered quietly to Jimmy as Rhian poured herself a mug of coffee.

“Oh I know I just like to let her think she has me scared.” He replied with a wink. Again Andie giggled with a shake of her head.

“Right, I’ve got to make a move, I’ve promised a little dude I’ll take him to school.” She said as she took her dishes to the sink. “I’ll bring Ella over here if that’s okay, that way I can be here to help with stuff too.”

“Of course it’s okay Hun, this is your house too now remember.” Rhian replied.

“Thanks, I’ll see you in a little while.” She said before turning to leave.

****

“I’m telling you dude, she’s having a girl she’ll want a pink room.” Jimmy argued as Andie entered the house with Ella.

“No way, Andie wouldn’t want that. I say we go with the cream.” Brian replied neither of them noticing that she had joined them.

“As much as I hate to admit it, Brian’s right, I don’t want Abi to have a pink room, although I was thinking that lilac may be a nice colour.” She said, causing the two guys to jump before turning to face her.

“See I told you.” Brian said smugly.

“Whatever.” Jimmy muttered.

“How long have you been arguing about this?” she asked.

“Ten minutes.” Brian admitted quietly.

Andie rolled her eyes and shook her head with a smile. “So I take it neither of you knew that Rhian had already got me some lilac paint after we talked about it yesterday.” Both guys looked at each other and shook their heads.

“See Ella this is why we don’t let men do things by themselves.” She said with a smile.

“Okay, then in that case let’s get started.” Jimmy said turning towards the stairs.

“Come on Ella, you can help me supervise these clowns.” She said holding her hand out of Ella to take.

Decorating the nursery ended up taking most of the day as they had to wait for the paint to dry before they could put the furniture in. while the guys did that, Andie had taken Ella to meet Connor from school and taking them home.

When she returned to the house she made her way into the kitchen to where Rhian was talking to Jimmy as she made a start with dinner.

“Hey, have you guys finished with the room?” she asked.

“Brian’s just finishing it off.” Jimmy said.

“Yeah, you should go up and take a look; they’ve done a really good job.” Rhian added with a smile. Andie nodded and turned to head up the stairs.

“Oh my god Brian. It’s beautiful.” She exclaimed quietly as she entered the room where Brian was placing a small photo frame on one of the shelves.

“You like it?” he asked as she took a step further into the room.

“It’s brilliant, thank you.” she replied turning to face him.

“She’s my daughter after all right?” he replied with a small smile. Andie nodded a smile of her own working its way onto her lips as Abigail kicked her.

“She certainly knows your voice.” She said as she placed her hands over her stomach. “She’s only moved around today when you’ve been talking.”

“Really? May I?” he asked holding out his hands. Again Andie nodded, feeling herself blush as he gently placed his large hands on her stomach. “Wow, her kicks are really strong now.” He added his eyes lifting from her stomach to meet hers.

“It’s just nice to feel her be so lively, she’s been so quiet these past two days.” She replied, unable to remove her eyes from Brian’s.

“I’m sorry Andie, all this stress can’t be doing either of you any good.” He said softly.
Andie bowed her head, her cheeks reddening further. “Hey.” Brian said lifting one hand off her stomach to lift her chin and cupping her cheek. “I care about you Andie, way more than what I should do, but I do.” He said quietly, his face remaining serious as he leaned in and pressed his lips lightly against hers. She kissed him back, her hand finding its way to the back of his neck to keep him in place. And then he pulled away.

“I don’t want to hurt you or cause you anymore stress.” He said quietly. “But I’ll be here for you if you want me, if you or Abigail need Me.” he added with a saddened look in his eyes. “And we’re still moving in the New Year, so if you change your mind, you’ll still be welcome to live in our house.”

And then he turned and left, leaving Andie stood confused and close to tears.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not too keen on this chapter, it's a bit here there and everywhere for my liking, but then it's a filler!
This story has only got a couple more chapters left, but I do have a sequel planned! :)

As always thanks for reading, subscribing and commenting... always love to read more though :)

Andie