Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 23

“Well there’s a sight you don’t see often.” Rhian commented as she peered over Andie’s shoulder at the list she was writing at the kitchen counter. Turning her head she glared at her best friend.

“Not everyone can be ridiculously organised like you.” she replied.

“What’s the list for anyway?”

“I need to go Christmas shopping today and I need to know who to buy gifts for stuff.” She explained.

“Do you need any help? With bags and stuff I mean.” Andie shook her head.

“No thanks Hun, I should be okay, I’m not planning on getting anything too heavy.”

“Okay, tea?” Andie shook her head as she stood up.

“I’ve already had one, I’m gonna get ready and go, figure if I go early I’ll miss most of the psycho shoppers.” She said ripping the list from the notepad.

Andie had never been a big fan of shopping and hated Christmas shopping even more. Every year she would tell herself that she would be organised the following year and start shopping in October or November at the very latest, but every year the middle of December would approach and she still wouldn’t have one present bought. This year was no different but it was the one year she really should have started sooner. Christmas shopping and being eight months pregnant are not two things that should be mixed. She’d been shopping for close to five hours, a time that could have been shortened considerably if she hadn’t needed to stop and rest or use a bathroom after every shop she went into.

Sat on a bench, surrounded by other shoppers also taking a break, Andie took out the list she had made and studied it, mentally ticking off the people she had bought presents for to work out who she had left to buy for.

“Do you need a hand with all that shopping?” Andie jumped slightly at the sound of Brian’s voice and looked up to see him stood in front of her.

“You shouldn’t sneak up on a pregnant woman like that young man, you’re lucky she didn’t go into labour.” An elderly lady who was sat next to Andie scolded.

“Sorry, I wasn’t thinking.” Brian mumbled his cheeks reddening as Andie failed to stifle a giggle.

“He’s a man, thinking hurts him.” Andie said quietly to the lady who laughed in return.

“I’m starting to wish I’d just kept walking and pretended I hadn’t seen you.” he muttered with a pout.

“Oh grow up Haner and help me up.” she replied holding out her hands which he took and lifted her gently from her seat.

“You make sure he looks after you, and carries all those bags.” The elderly lady scolded once again. Brian nodded sheepishly and picked up the bags.

“Jesus, what have you been buying?” Brian muttered as they walked through the crowded mall.

“It’s just a few Christmas presents.” She said shrugging her shoulders earning a raised eyebrow from Brian. “Are you Christmas shopping too?”

“Yeah, I’ve got one present left to get and it’s the one I’m having the most difficulty with.” he explained. “How about you? Are you done yet?”

“I’ve only got one more thing to get Rhian and that should be easy enough. I’ve seen her eyeing up a necklace.” She replied.

“Jewellery might be the way to go for Michelle too.” Andie turned to glance at Brian.

“It’s her present that’s giving you trouble?” he nodded sadly.

“Yeah, I just haven’t got a clue what to get her, what she likes anymore. The other day I thought one of the guys had left their cell at the house, only to find out that she’s got a new one, and remember the deal with her perfume I got her for her birthday? She’s always worn it for as long as I can remember.” He ranted. Andie nodded silently as they continued their walk through the mall.

“So I guess we both need a jewellery store then.” She said breaking the silence.

“Which one has the necklace you want for Rhi?”

“Um, Montgomery’s I think.” She replied. Again Brian nodded as they continued in silence in the direction of the store.

“You know what I really don’t like people like you who can walk into a store and find what they’re looking for straight away.” Brian muttered less than fifteen minutes later as Andie was given the gift bag with the necklace she’d got for Rhian. She turned to look at him with a smirk.

“I told you I knew what I wanted to get her. You still not found anything for Michelle then?” Brian shook his head and ran a hand through his hair.

“There are a few things, but I’m just not sure about them.” He paused for a moment, watching Andie. “This is seriously going to suck asking you this.” he began, his hand coming up to rub the back of his neck nervously.

“Brian no, I know what you’re about to ask but I can’t-“ she pleaded shaking her head.

“Andie please, I know it sucks and I wouldn’t usually ask but I’m desperate. I need help and a female opinion. And to be honest you know Michelle as well as I do these days.” He replied. Andie mentally cursed herself as she looked into his deep pouting brown eyes.

“One of these days I’m going to learn to say no to you.” she muttered with a role of her eyes. Brian smiled as he added the gift bag to her other bags he was still holding.

“Help me with this and I’ll treat you to lunch somewhere, your choice.” He said with a nervous smile. She nodded with a reluctant smile tugging at her lips.

“Show me which ones you like then. I’m actually pretty hungry.” She replied with a roll of her eyes.

“Okay, so I like this necklace over here…” he began walking over to one of the display cabinets where he pointed at a delicate gold chain in a Y shape with a small heart that had a leopard print affect on it between tiny pearls.

“It’s beautiful.” Andie murmured quietly.

“But then, there’s a whole collection with similar designs and then there’s these earrings…” he replied crossing the store to another cabinet, showing her a pair of drop earrings in a figure of eight shape. They were black with diamond studded white gold. Again Andie thought they were breathtaking.

“They’re beautiful too Bri, but I’m not sure…” she said trailing off as she began to wonder around the store looking at each of the display cabinets in turn.

“Okay, so what about this bracelet?” she said a few minutes later pointing at a silver snowflake charm bracelet. “It’ll go perfectly with the necklace she sometimes wears.”

“Oh my God, yeah, it’s perfect, thank you Andie.” He replied as he beckoned the sales assistant over to them. “What would I do without you hey?”

Andie smiled faintly, “Hell knows, but I really need a pee, I’ll meet you outside in ten minutes.” She replied, her face showing the discomfort she was feeling. He nodded, still smiling as she turned to leave the store.

“Andie I really do appreciate you helping me back there.” Brian began as they sat waiting for their food to arrive. “I just keep on making things difficult for you with out even trying. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay Bri.” She replied quietly with a faint smile.

“No, it’s not. I shouldn’t be asking you of all people to help me pick out a gift for my wife.” He replied.

“Brian, don’t worry about it, its fine. I was happy to help.” She replied hoping she sounded convincing.

“I am sorry though, and you have helped me find the perfect gift for her. Looks like you know my wife better than I do. Those other pieces I was looking at weren’t quite right for her.” he replied as the waiter placed their food in front of them.

They sat silently as they began their meal, Andie contemplating whether to ask the question on the tip of her tongue.

“Brian can I ask you something?” she said deciding that there was nothing to loose.

“Go ahead.” He said placing his knife and fork down and bringing his gaze to her.

“You keep saying that you don’t know Michelle anymore, but do you still love her?” as she spoke she felt her cheeks redden.

“Are you sure you want to hear this?” she nodded silently, not entirely sure why she wanted to know the answer to her question.

“I honestly don’t know. I’ve been having this debate with myself for a long while now. I want to love her and there is a part of me that still does, but that part has been getting smaller over the past year or so.” He paused and took a deep breath before continuing. “For a year now we’ve been growing apart more and more. It hasn’t helped that she got a promotion and I’ve spent a lot of time working with the band.” Silence fell between them as they’re eyes locked.

“Have you ever thought about leaving her?” the question was out of her mouth before she’d even realised she’d thought it.

“Yes I have, but I can’t. I’ve got Connor and Ella to think about. I’m sorry Andie. This was never the way it was supposed to happen. I was never meant to have the feelings I do for you. But I’ll always be here for you, I can’t stress that enough.” He said reaching his hand across the table and rubbing her hand gently.

“Brian it’s okay, I wasn’t asking that as a hint or anything, I was just curious.” She replied truthfully.

“I know.” he said quietly with a smile. “Now let’s change the subject. What are you doing for Christmas?”

“Not entirely sure yet. Mom’s still not talking to me because of the whole not being married to the father of my baby thing but Rhian has invited me over to her parents with her, but I think she only wants me there for moral support as they’ve never met Jimmy before. I’d be quite happy to curl up on the sofa by myself though.” She replied.

“Would you consider coming to us? Connor was nagging me to ask you all day yesterday.” He asked.

“Have you ever known me to be able to say know to that kid?” she replied with a smile.

“Brilliant, I’ll tell him as soon as I get home; he’ll be so made up, he misses you being around all the time.” He explained.

“I miss him too, I’ve never had a bond with a kid like I do with him, it’s like he’s my own son.” She replied with a saddened smile.

“You’re like a mother to him too.” he said quietly with a small smile working onto his thin lips.

With their meals finished Brian helped Andie back to his car with her shopping, after insisting that he would give her a lift instead of her calling a cab. The drive back to her house was filled with friendly chatter about arrangements for Christmas day.

“Brian you do realise that there is another week and a half before Christmas and I will probably be seeing you everyday?” she said with a giggle as he helped her into the house with all the bags.

“I know, but it helps to be organised and prepared.” He replied.

“Amen to that. But she’ll never be either of those things.” Rhian’s voice called from where she was sat on the sofa with Jimmy.

“Fuck you bitch!” she mock yelled. “Thanks for your help Bri, I’ll probably see you in the morning.” She replied with a smile.

“Anytime sweetie. See you later.” He replied with a wink. “Later guys.” He yelled before turning to leave.

“So how was shopping?” Rhian called.

“Surreal.” She replied with an exasperated sigh as she took a seat in the chair opposite them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not got much to say other than a big thanks as always to those of you who read, subscribe and comment on this story. But there are only two chapters left now.... so you don't have many chances left to let me know what you think :) So Comments?

Andie