Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 6

Andrea groaned into her pillow as she became aware of excited voice coming from outside of her bedroom door. She turned slowly onto her back, rubbing her eyes as she listened to what was going on the other side of the door.

“- until she get’s up herself.” Brian’s voice lightly scolded his son. “Connor, let her be.”

“Aww, but da-ad!” Connor whined causing Andrea to chuckle. “I wanna give my card to her.”

“Connor, don’t you think Andie deserves a lie-in on her birthday of all days?” Brian asked.

There came a grumbled reply from the five year old which made Andrea feel sorry for him.

“Bri, it’s ok, he can come in.” she called loudly, pushing herself up into a sitting position as she heard little feet thundering back up the corridor before her bedroom door slowly opened.

“Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Andie! Happy birthday to you!” Connor sang beautifully as he bounded into the bedroom and up onto the bed as he carried a large envelope that was easily half his size.

“Thank you sweetie.” She replied with a smile as he passed the envelope to her, sitting in her lap.

“Open it, I chosed it myself.” He explained excitedly. As she began to open the envelope she looked up to find Brian stood up against the door frame smiling at her.

“Happy birthday.” He said quietly adding a wink as he smirked.

“Thanks.” She replied, causing Connor to turn briefly to see who she was talking to.

“Oh Connor, it’s awesome, I love it thank you.” she replied pulled the card out, opening it up and reading the small verse before placing a small kiss on top of his head.

“You can’t have your present ‘til the party, but daddy said he’ll help me make you breakfast if you want.” He said looking up at her with cloned eyes.

“Aww, sweetie that’ll be lovely.” Andrea cooed glancing up to see Brian still stood in the doorway, still smiling as he watched them.

“Cool, come on daddy, lets go make her breakfast when she’s in the shower.” He replied jumping swiftly off the bed and grabbing hold of Brian’s hand to pull him towards the stairs. Andrea chuckled as she watched her bedroom door close.

She got up and followed Connor’s instructions to shower first. She then got dressed and headed down the stairs to the smell of bacon.

“Wow, something smells good.” She said on walking into the kitchen. She couldn’t help but smile at the sight before her. On the table in front of her was a small vase of fresh flowers that she recognised from the garden next to an envelope and a small, neatly wrapped gift box, while next to the oven Connor stood on a small step stool under the careful supervision of his father as they seemed to be making scrambled egg.

“Sit down it’s almost ready.” Connor said, glancing over his shoulder with a smile as he continued to mix the eggs in the pan.

“That’s just a little something from me and Michelle.” Brian said, nodding his head to indicate the card and gift on the table.

“Oh, there was really no-“

“Of course there is, you’re part of this family now.” Michelle’s voice made her jump. Andrea blushed at the words as Michelle sat down next to her with Ella in her arms.

“Thanks. Can I open it now?” she said quietly, glancing up at Connor.

“Of course you can.” Michelle replied with a giggle, catching the disgruntled look on Connor’s face. Andrea smiled in return and proceeded to open the envelope before untying the purple ribbon on the small box.

“Oh guys, it’s beautiful, thank you.” she gasped in amazement as she pulled the lid off the small box to reveal a beautiful silver watch.

“See I told you she’d like it.” Brian stated triumphantly at Michelle.

“I never doubted you babe.” She replied with a smile as Andrea glanced between them with a puzzled expression.

“Brian picked it out.” Michelle explained as Brian helped Connor plate up the breakfast. “Actually, he was the one who suggested a watch, said something about you mentioning that you didn’t have a good dress watch.” She added.

“Really? You remember me saying that?” she asked with a smile as she looked up at Brian who nodded as he handed Connor the plate which he was insisting on carrying over to her. “Well thank you, it’s beautiful.”

“You’re welcome.” He replied with a wink as Connor placed the plate on the table in front of her.

“Thanks Connor it looks and smells wonderful.” She said with a smile. He beamed happily back at her before taking his seat at the table.

“How come everyone else is only having cereal?” she asked noticing that no one else was enjoying the same breakfast as her.

“Oh, no, that’s your special birthday breakfast, no one else gets any, do the Connor?” Michelle explained. Andrea turned to see Connor shake his head as he poured milk gently over his cereal.

Andrea sat cross legged in the middle of her bed, with nothing to do other than examine the watch she’d been given for her birthday. She’d been banished to her room by Connor as he helped Michelle decorate the living room for her first birthday party of the day. She jumped slightly as there was a knock at the door.

“Come in.” she said glancing up to see the door open and Brian to step into the room with a smile.

“I’ve been told to come and tell you that they’re ready for you downstairs.” He said with a hint of light laughter in his voice as he stepped further into the room.

“Great, I’m on my way.” She replied pushing herself off the bed.

“Thanks again for the watch Bri, it’s beautiful. I can’t believe you remembered that conversation.” She added as she crossed the room, causing Brian to turn back in the doorway to face her.

“I’m glad you like it.” He replied, his eyes meeting hers. “I knew you would as soon as I saw it.” Andrea felt herself blush, unable to pull her eyes away from his.

“Happy birthday Andie.” He whispered, quickly leaning in towards her and kissing her cheek before turning to walk out of the room and towards the stairs, leaving Andrea stood in her doorway staring after him.

“Come on, you can’t keep the kids waiting.” He called bringing her out of her daze.

She walked down the stairs and into the living room to find numerous coloured balloons tacked to the ceiling with birthday banners attached to the walls. Before she could step further towards the sofa she was stopped as the three children began singing happy birthday to her. She stood smiling waiting for them to finish, watching as Macie and Ella smiled and laughed with the song.

Once they’d finished singing Andrea got the chance to sit down on the sofa. On the coffee table in front of her were three small parcels and two more envelopes, both with child like handwriting. Lennon was the first one to greet her, handing her a light pink envelope with her name on it.

“Happy Birthday Andie.” He said his father’s dimples appearing as he smiled broadly up at her.

“Thanks sweetie.” She replied kissing his cheek before opening the envelope.

She was then given the other envelope by Alicia, who was the image of Gena and then Connor stepped forward with a rectangular parcel, wrapped in shiny purple gift wrap with a silver bow.

“This is from me and Ella.” He stated sounding ten years older that his actual age.
She took the parcel from him and began to gently unwrap the gift that he’d obviously wrapped himself as he watched in anticipation. Once the paper was off she was left with a blue box. She opened it and slid out a silver photo frame. Inside there was a picture of her, Connor and Ella together, taken at the park just a few weeks ago. The frame itself was engraved with the words

To the best Nanny
Happy birthday
Love from Conner and Ella xxx

Tears filled her eyes as she stared at the gift. It was quite easily one of the best gifts she’d ever received.

“It was all his idea too.” Michelle said quietly from her side from where she was sat with Ella on her lap.

“It’s beautiful.” Andrea managed to reply as she looked up, glancing quickly at Michelle before turning back to Connor who was still stood excitedly in front of her. “It’s the best presents anyone has given me.”

“You really like it?” Connor asked staring at her with widening eyes.

“Sweetie, come here.” She began placing the frame down next to her and picking Connor up to place him in her lap. “I love it; it’s the most thoughtful, wonderful present I’ve ever received. I’m going to put it on my night stand and keep it forever.”

A large smile erupted over Connor’s face as he hugged Andrea before jumping off her lap and grabbing the photo frame.

“Can I take it up to your room now?” he asked. Andrea nodded with a chuckle and watched as he took off towards the stairs.

Andrea laughed loudly with tears in her eyes as she danced around the living room where the coffee table had been removed and the sofa pushed back to make room for the party games that were being played.

Suddenly the music stopped and Andrea followed the young children in becoming as still as she possibly could. Biting her top lip to try and keep her laughter contained inside, she watched silently as Brian looked around the room, holding Ella in his arms, judging to see if anyone was moving.

“Hey, I saw that, Mich you’re out!” he called with a laugh in his voice as he pointed at his wife. Michelle let out an exaggerated sigh before walking over to take Ella from Brian’s arms, placing a quick kiss in his lips before walking back into the kitchen as Brian began the music again.

“Ok so it’s down to Alicia and Andrea.” He called over the music. Andrea and Alicia danced together, both laughing until Brian again stopped the music.

“Ooh, don’t know guys, they both look pretty still.” He said, talking to Lennon and Connor as he watched them with a smile. Andrea watched as he slowly made his way towards them a mischievous glint in his eyes as he smirked. Andrea had to admire how Alicia was able to remain still as he lowered himself to her level, poking his tongue out in her face. He gave an impressed nod before turning to face Andrea. Watching out of the corner of her eye, Andrea saw Brian’s smirk get bigger as he made his way over to her. He brought his face right in front of hers; close enough for her to smell him, his cologne, and the stale smell of cigarettes, beer and mints. Her hazel eyes met his brown eyes as they glinted with mischief and suddenly she was flinching as he blew into her face.

“Oh sorry birthday girl, you loose, Alicia you win!” he cheered turning to face Alicia who beamed happily.

“You are such a cheat Gates.” Andrea heard Gena say quietly as she walked further into the living room.

“What she moved?” he protested with a wink.

“Is it time for cake now?” Connor asked rubbing a hand over his stomach.

“Yeah, do you want to go help your mom get it ready?” Brian said, Connor quickly turning to run into the kitchen. Moments later Michelle called through for silence and she and Connor started to walk slowly into the room, starting another round of ‘Happy Birthday’ as she helped him carry the cake they’d made the evening before.

“Close your eyes make a wish and blow the candles out.” Connor instructed. Andrea nodded and followed the five year olds instructions, smiling as she noticed him helping her blow out the candles.

“Ok then kids, one slice of cake and then I’m afraid the party’s over.” Michelle said, being greeted by a barrage of moans from the three young children.
♠ ♠ ♠
Andie's party outfit

As always a big thanks to all my readers, subscribers and the comments :) You guys are great, please keep it up :)