Status: Complete - Check out the sequel :)

When Duty Calls

Chapter 7

Andrea stood in front of her mirror as she ran her flat irons over her hair as she finished getting ready for her second birthday party of the day. Happy with her hair she turned off and unplugged her flat iron and glanced at her new watch. She could already hear people downstairs and sighed knowing that she had to go down and join them. She quickly checked over her appearance again and slowly made her way out of her room and downstairs.

“Happy Birthday Andie” Jimmy cheered as she stepped out into the back yard where everyone seemed to be congregated.

“Thanks.” She replied with a smile as the others in the group all added their birthday wishes.

“So what can I get the birthday girl to drink?” Jimmy asked cheerfully as Andie’s phone vibrated in the back pocket of her pants.

“Um, Jack and coke please.” She replied with a smile as she read the message from Rhian.

“Coming right up.” Jimmy said with a wink as he walked over to the table that had been set up on the decking with an assortment of drinks placed on it and a cooler full of beers under it.

“Could you get my friend a vodka lime and lemonade as well please Jimmy? She’s just arrived.” She asked. Jimmy nodded as Andie stepped back into the house and over to the front door to let Rhian in.

“Happy Birthday Sweetie!” she cheered with a broad smile as she stepped over the doorstep, hugging her best friend.

“Thank you.” she replied, taking the small gift bag off her as she closed the door behind her.

“How did the first party go earlier?” Rhian asked as they walked back towards the garden.

“It was good fun actually, you should see photo frame the kids got me, it’s beautiful.” Andie replied as they stepped out onto the decking again.

“One Jack and Coke for the birthday girl.” Jimmy said handing Andie her drink. “And a Vodka, lemonade and lime for her friend.” He added with a widening smile as his eyes landed on Rhian as he passed her her drink.

“Thanks.” Rhian replied in a low whisper as she gazed into his bright blue eyes.

“Um, this is my best friend, Rhian.” Andie announced to the group, smiling as she watched Jimmy extend his hand to take hold of Rhian’s, bringing it up to his lips to gently kiss her hand.

“Well that saves me a job.” Andie muttered quietly with a smile. Rhian looked over at her with a wide smile and a slight shrug of her shoulders.

“Ok then Birthday girl, we need to get you good and drunk.” Matt said taking hold of her free hand and pulling her over to the table full of drinks and passing her a shot of dark liquid.

“Do we really need to get me good and drunk?” Andie asked scrunching up her nose at the smell of liquorice.

“Yes we do.” He replied with a broad smile that showed his dimples as he raised his own shot glass.

“What are you doing?” Andie turned at the familiar sound of Brian’s voice.

“Getting the birthday girl good and drunk.” Matt said as Andie watched a smirk appear on Brian’s lips.

“Damn right too.” Brian replied pouring himself a shot.

Andrea grimaced and quickly knocked back the shot, wincing as the liquid trickled down her throat before it was washed down with a mouthful of Jack and coke.

Unsurprisingly that wasn’t Andrea’s last shot. Whenever one of the guys went up to get a fresh drink they would fill a shot glass and place it into her hand with a broad smile. Each shot was washed down with a large sip of Jack and coke so Andie was quickly getting drunk. She’d also been left without a best friend to look after her as Rhian was sat on the bench that was situated in the corner of the patio area, deep in conversation with Jimmy. The pair had barely left each others sides since they met. Andie couldn’t help but smile as she watched the two of them.

“If I’d known Rhian would have cheered Jimmy up like this I would have got you to introduce them weeks ago.” Andie jumped a little as her thoughts were interrupted by Val.

“Yeah, they do seem to be getting on well don’t they? Maybe I should have listened to Rhian earlier, she’s been telling me for, well years actually that her and Jimmy belong together.” Andrea replied with a chuckle.

“She’s a Rev girl then I assume.” Val asked with a smile. Andie turned to face her as she nodded.

“Oh yes, very much so, since the start.”

“So how about you? Which of the guys gets your heart going?” Val asked and Andie immediately blushed.

“Oh is it Matt?” Val asked with a smile.

“Actually, even though he is gorgeous, I was always um, well a Brian girl.” She replied blushing with every word.

“Well who wouldn’t be?” Michelle said appearing besides them. Andie blushed more, quickly averting her eyes to her drink. “It’s ok Hun, I know I’m the envy of a lot of women out there, but I know I can trust you.”

Andrea snapped her head up quickly at the sound of these words, her cheeks a burning red as guilt swept over her body. She managed a weak smile before she quickly finished her drink.

“Excuse me a moment, these seem to be going straight through Me.” she said quietly turning to head back into the house and up to the bathroom.

She took a deep breath, gripping the edge of the bathroom counter as she concentrated on clearing her head. Michelle trusted her and she’d been having an affair with her husband.

“It’s over though” Andie muttered to herself as she gazed at her reflection. “It’s over. I have nothing to feel guilty about anymore. It’s over.” She may have been saying the words but she barely believed them. She had told Brian it was over between them before but she’d always found herself back in his bed within a week. With it being over a week since she’d told him it was over this time, Andie felt some confidence that she may just have broken free of his charms this time. However there was still a small part of her that knew that there was still a possibility that they would end up together again.

She closed her eyes as she took another deep, calming breath. She opened her eyes again and turned to walk back outside.

“Oh it’s you? Are you ok?” Brian said as she came face to face with him as soon as she opened the bathroom door.

“Hmm, yeah I’m um, I’m fine.” She stuttered taking a step to the side, a step away from Brian.

“Are you sure? I thought I heard you talking to someone?” Brian asked his head dipping to try and gain eye contact.

“Oh, um, yeah, I guess I was.” She replied feeling herself blush again.

“Maybe we should lay off the shots hey?” Brian asked with a chuckle. Andie looked up at him and smiled with a small nod. He smiled back at her with his brown eyes sparkling, making something in Andie’s stomach to flip.

“You’re enjoying your birthday though right?” he asked and again Andrea nodded with a smile.

“Yeah I am, thanks.” She replied softly.

“Good.” He replied with a smirk and a wink before taking a step into the bathroom. Andie watched as the door closed behind him and quickly made her way back out into the back yard. She was happy to see that Jimmy had finally left Rhian’s side and so took the opportunity to finally talk to her friend.

“Superglue worn off has it?” she asked as she sat down on the bench. Rhian looked up at her with a wide smile.

“You know you’re really not that funny.” She replied happily.

“Yeah whatever, so come on then, I know you’re dying to tell me.” Andie replied. A wide smile spread quickly over Rhian’s face as she sat up straighter.

“Oh my god! We’re just getting on better than what I’ve ever imagined. We’ve just been sat here talking about anything and everything all night. And he’s even better looking up close.” She rambled excitedly.

“Well I’m glad you’re getting on well. It’s about time one of us had a happy love life.” Andrea replied with a smile.

“You’ve just got a fucked up love life.” Rhian announced with a smile. Andie glared at her for a brief moment with her eyes wide.

“Sorry, but it is.” Rhian replied quietly as she noticed Jimmy return with three drinks in his hand.

“What are you doing without a drink in your hand?” he asked as he passed one of the drinks to Rhian before passing one of the other glasses to Andie.

“Thanks Jim. I hope you’ve been taking good care of my best friend.” Andie warned with a gentle smile.

“The best of care.” He replied sitting down close to her a wide smile making his blue eyes sparkle like sapphires.

“Good, cos if she get’s hurt, I get mad.” She replied with a wink.

“Understood.” Jimmy replied simply as Rhian gave Andie a brief glare.

From where she was sat on the bench, Andie tried to keep things in focus. She moved her eyes slowly from object to person, failing to keep objects still and singular in her vision. She had no idea what the time was as she was unable to read the time on her watch. As she allowed her eyelids to flutter open and shut, she opened her mouth in a yawn, barely aware of a figure walking over towards her.

“Hey Hun, I’m going to shoot off, Jimmy said he’s going to walk me home.” Rhian said quietly, crouching down so that she was level with her. Andie closed her eyes and re-opened them, trying to focus on her best friends face.

“Ok, thanks for coming, talk to you tomorrow.” she slurred trying to keep her in focus.

“Night Hun, get to bed soon yeah.” Rhian replied, leaning forward to kiss Andie’s forehead. Andie smiled back and quickly lost focus again, allowing herself to slip into a lying position on the bench. She closed her eyes and slipped her hands under her head.

“It’s ok, I’ll carry her.”

Although she was aware that it was Brian who had spoken, she only became aware that it was in fact her that he was carrying when she opened one of her eyes as she felt herself moving.

“Time for bed I think beautiful.” He said with a smile as they reached the bottom of the stairs.

“Mine or yours?” she whispered with a drunken smile, her hands slipping up around his neck.

Brian chuckled and smiled back. “As tempting as that is, I think its best you go to your bed tonight.” He whispered.

Andrea pouted. “Don’t you think I’m pretty anymore?”

“Andie you’re beautiful, and if you weren’t hammered and my wife and our friends weren’t downstairs I would carry you to my room.” he replied in a soft whisper placing a gentle kiss to her temple.

“You’re beautiful too.” Andrea replied leaning up and placing her lips against his. He kissed back briefly but pulled away.

“As much as I want to continue this, I thinks it’s something you’ll regret when you’re sober.” He said quietly as he placed her on her feet beside her bed. Her arms stayed around his neck, playing with the tufts of hair as she gazed hazily into his brown eyes.

“I know what I want Brian. Drunk or sober. I want you.” she replied and again leaned up to press her lips against his. Again he kissed back briefly before pulling away, reaching up to pull her hands from around his neck.

“We’ll see how you feel in the morning.” He said, quickly pecking her lips before releasing her hands and leaving the bedroom. Andrea watched him leave and then sat down on the edge of her bed. She had a smile on her face as she began to remove her clothes ready for bed. She could still feel the tingle in her lips from where they’d been touched by his. She may have been drunk, but she knew she’d spoken the truth. She’d wanted him for years, and she wouldn’t regret kissing him in the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Read and Comment Please :D

Andie
Rhian

So... As always a big thank you to everyone who takes the time to read, subscribe and comment on this story :) Reading your comments always puts a smile on my face, and I always like smiling ;)