Status: Hiatus, maybe? Gets updated very slowly.

100 Ways

#13

13. Don't Give a Shit What They Say

It was on Wednesday. It was only a few days before we went on Spring Break.

Okay, I just really found out my sexuality only a month ago and I'm finally getting comfortable with it. I'm bisexual and happy. But as I got comfortable, I realized how much the homophobic world hated people like us.

It was lunch time. I was sitting with Zaily and her girlfriend Courtney. We were just sitting and talking when suddenly, a french fry hit Zaily on the head. We ignored it because occasionally someone will throw something and we'll just be innocent victims of the open fire. But it kept happening. French fries and pieces of sandwiches were hitting us. We noticed a group of boys laughing but it just didn't click. Then Courtney was hit by a ketchup covered fry. It totally ruined her brand new white shirt. So Zaily just yelled out that whoever was doing this should just stop.

I watched the group of boys across from us at the next table. They were laughing and watching us. I noticed one of the boys was one the guys I was friends with last year, Hector. He was grinning as he tore a piece of his sandwich and threw it our way. My eyes narrowed at him and I glared their way. They took no notice. He tore another piece and was about to throw it when I went over his way and grabbed his wrist.

I told him, "If you have a problem with gay or bi people, come to our faces and say so. Be a fucking man and not a coward. If you even think about throwing more food at us, I will beat the shit out of you."

I don't think I've been that angry in months. I was better. I hadn't been in a fight in almost a year. His eyes went wide before he rolled his eyes and turned back to his friends. I was walking back to our table when more food hit my head. I shook my head and continued with lunch.

Courtney. She had been getting some phonecalls for the past week from some guy with a blocked number saying that she "better get with a fucking guy and not a girl" before she got the shit beaten out of her. I was so mad. I got her cell when they called again. I cussed them out and said I would find out who they were and cut off the microscopic penis he had. So far...no more calls.

The next day, Thursday, there were rumors going around about me.
I was a slut. I was fourteen years old and technically not a virgin and so many people knew.
Hector heard what happened to me but not really. He just heard that I wasn't really a virgin. He told so many people. At lunch, he taunted me. He kept on saying that I do every night and how I always beg for more. I stood there listening to him. The boy I liked was sitting right there just watching me with disappointment and disgust in his eyes. I felt my eyes get wetter by the second.

"It's not my fault I was raped. It's not my fault some perverted guy thought it'd be fun to take me into a field and take the only dignity I had."

That's what I told him. I ran away to my classroom after that. I screamed that to him. So many people heard my darkest secret. I didn't tell anyone about it. Not my over-the-Internet friends. I just couldn't.

After school on Friday, I beat the fucking shit out of Hector. He said I was worthless and I would never own up to anything. I smiled and punched his nose and walked to my dad's car and went home.

I am fine. Perfectly fine.
No, I'm not doing the girl thing and saying I'm fine when I'm not.
Hector is just one person. I'm not going to bring myself down because of one pathetic little person who throws fries to impress his friends. It's just sad that Hector went that far down. He used to be such a nice guy.

Sure, it hurt. It's a sensitve subject, of course it hurt. I cried.
But there is no way in hell that I'm going to let something like that bring me down.
I'm smart. I'm talented. I'm funny. I'm good with advice. I'm...pretty, I guess. But that has nothing to do with ME.

I was raped.
I was called worthless.
I had food thrown at me because of my sexuality.
I was dumped. Twice.
I almost failed a class.

I'm still living.

You should too. You'll be surprised how happy you'll be.