Did You Get What You Deserve?

Chapter 62

I kissed James quickly and stood up.

“I’m just going to go get some air,” I said, “it’s hot in here.”

Pushing through the group of teenagers, I made my way out the back door. The party was going full swing, and it was hot inside the house. Leaning on the railing of the deck, I took several deep breaths. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I noticed two people sitting on the bench at the side of the garden. Melanie and Alec. They obviously hadn’t noticed me, because as I watched, Alec stood up, walked a few paces away, then stopped, turned back to her and took a deep breath.

“I have something to say,” he said, “and I’m going to say it really quickly before I can stop myself.”

“What is it?” Melanie sounded unsure.

“Mel, I love you. I can’t stand the thought of being without you. I can’t stand the impermanence of our relationship. And that’s why I have to do this.”

He crouched down in front of her, taking her hand.

“Melanie June Anderson, will you marry me?”

Her eyes flashed wide. Her mouth dropped open. For a moment, she was absolutely silent. Then she leant forward and said, very softly, “absolutely.”

“Yes!”

He picked her up and spun her around.

“I love you, I love you!”

I smiled, shrinking back inside in case I let out an excited squeal and gave myself away. As I walked through the door, I bumped into James.

“What’s the yelling outside?” he asked.

I grinned and shook my head.

“Don’t ask.”

The next morning, Alec walked into the kitchen for breakfast with a huge smile on his face and kissed me on the head before sitting down at the table and resting his chin in his hands.

“Good party last night?” he asked.

I nodded.

“Best birthday ever.”

He laughed.

“Tell me about it.”

“Why?” I said, “what was so good about it?”

He looked at me sideways.

“You know.”

“Do I?”

“You saw.”

“How did you know I was there?”

He grinned.

“You were pretty hard to miss. I saw you when I stood up.”

Dad cleared his throat.

“This conversation is going over my head,” he said, “any chance you could explain some of it?”

Alec sighed.

“Well, Melanie should really be here when we tell you this, but...” he allowed himself an excited grin, “we’re getting married!”

Dad’s jaw dropped.

“Oh my god!”

He jumped up and hugged Alec.

“Congratulations!”

“Congratulations what?”

Mum had just walked in. Alec turned, beaming.

“Mum,” he said, “Mel and I are engaged!”

“Really? That’s wonderful!”

Julia, sitting on the chair next to me, tugged on Alec’s sleeve.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

Alec picked her up.

“I’m getting married to Melanie,” he said, “do you know what that means?”

She tilted her head to one side.

“Like when me and Peter play house? You’re going to be the daddy and Melanie’s going to be the mummy?”

He nodded, laughing.

“Something like that.”

She smiled.

“Have fun!”

“We will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
**ZOMG YOU TOTALLY SAW IT COMING AND IT WAS CLICHE AND PREDICTABLE?!?!?!

Tell me I'm wrong.

But XDDDDDDDD FLUFF!!!

Heh heh heh.

I like Julia. She is cute. CUTE WITH A CAPITAL K. Linda seems to be turning into a typical moody teenager in my head. ... ... ... Even though she's nine years old. I think she will hit the ripe old age of thirteen and suddenly go all moody.

Heheh. Fun.

Thanks tooooooo... Critical_Lemon, Bellkura and loveACTUALLY.

Now I shall go write an article on Puchipuchi that was due in last week (I shall tell my teacher that my computer was fucking up XD he doesn't need to know how lazy I am).

Adios!**